Premium Plus -- No More Wines by the Bottle?!

Coastalbreezes

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

I have had Sauternes, which is of the same appellation. You know, I'm really glad you said this, because I'm planning a land-based vacation to France next year and will look out for this one. Thank you!

You should, it is by most experts classified as the best sauternes in the world and some even say the best white wine in the world. It is without a doubt a must try if you like sauternes. But it comes at a heavy price (expect at least several hundreds of dollars for a regular bottle - not special cuvees as these ones go up into thousands).

It's also the only wine that has the 'Premier Cru Superieur' label.

A true gem.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MiniJeffrey said:

You should, it is by most experts classified as the best sauternes in the world and some even say the best white wine in the world. It is without a doubt a must try if you like sauternes. But it comes at a heavy price (expect at least several hundreds of dollars for a regular bottle - not special cuvees as these ones go up into thousands).

It's also the only wine that has the 'Premier Cru Superieur' label.

A true gem.

Don't know how true this story is, since I found it on Wikipedia, but apparently Thomas Jefferson was so impressed by the Chateau d'Yquem that he ordered 250 bottles of it while he was there. 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Don't know how true this story is, since I found it on Wikipedia, but apparently Thomas Jefferson was so impressed by the Chateau d'Yquem that he ordered 250 bottles of it while he was there. 😋

You know what to do during your visit, order at least 250 bottles. 😄 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just off the Dawn (Rome to Bilbao) and they were not serving any wines by the bottle on this cruise. I didn’t have P+ this time, so I don’t know for sure if this also applied to the included P+ bottles at dinner, but my understanding was that no one could be served wine by the bottle, period. (Then again, I was given my free Platinum bottle with no issues.)

As usual, they blamed it on an unspecified tax issue from some unspecified country, and it was completely out of NCL’s control.

On the current sailing (Bilbao round-trip) they are supposedly able to serve wine by the bottle again, so I guess that means the problematic country was Italy.