Binocular Strength/Size Recommendation - Expedition Cruise

blurrededge

Contemplating an expedition cruise in the near future and was wondering what people would recommend for optics.  I am not a big fan of compact binoculars with their limited magnification and clarity in low light, but was wondering if anything larger would be just too cumbersome.  

Many thanks,

Don

I would treat it the same way as camera equipment. Bring the equipment you are comfortable with using. If you’re used to the higher magnification and you’re used to tracking birds in flight with that field of vision, you’ll probably appreciate having it for the seabirds when you’re underway.

I have tried the compact binocs several times and I don't like them.  Some of the more expensive compacts are not bad (good compact binocs can be expensive) but I just don't find them easy to look through and the field of vision of them tends to be smaller.

Regardless of what you buy make every effort you can not to buy them over the internet.  Just because they are expensive and have gotten good reviews doesn't mean that they are best for you.  The last time I bought binoculars I spent a couple of hours trying them out in the store before I settled on the ones I picked.  Some of them from very well known companies just did not feel good to me.

Also there are lots of measurements besides power and front lens size that are important.  Make sure that you know what each of them mean and what parameters are important for you.

Don't be cheap about what you purchase.  A good set of binoculars can last a lifetime and more so you don't want to be stuck with ones that don't work for you.  Between my wife and I we own 3 sets of binoculars.  The only reason that I stopped using my 35 years old ones on a regular basis is that they were not close focusing enough for the type of birding that I was doing.  If you ignore that issue they work perfectly.  I keep them at my 2nd summer residence and use them frequently there.  I just don't travel with them.

One last thing.  Regardless of where you buy them but most important if you buy them over the internet make sure that they are returnable.  This is especially if you buy ones that are lower in price.  The brand and the specific model you purchase may we well regarded but may well end up with a set that has issues.

Hope this helps.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have Nikon Trailblazer 10x25 that's very compact and also decent brightness.  What i don't like is to view, i have to twist the 2 viewer tubes to extend out   but those things won't stay in place so I have to extend them once a while.  a bit annoying.  otherwise i have no complain.  supposed to be water/weather proof.  You need a steady hand since it's 10x and small.

Go to REI or local store that carry it to test out.  Price is about the same between online and retail.

i also have nikon 3s 8x42 that's normal size.  when i travel by car, i take them both.  if i travel by air, i only take my trailblazer since i typically only have a backpack and also easier to carry it on a hike.

the previous poster's image reminded me of someone holding a canon EF 1200mm lens.  🙂

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Albatross in flight, a tiny tomtit 50m away, a leopard seal on a rock a few car lengths from the zodiac?

You have to decide to know what magnifying power to get.  After that, get the biggest objective that you can carry/afford.

One final thing - do not make the mistake of trying binocs that you can not afford or that your spouse will not let you buy.  I made the mistake of trying out a set of ~$2000 Swarovski binocs.  They were almost worth the money.  However the divorce would have been th e problem - LOL!!!.

DON

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, grandma*knows*best said:

Your cruise line should be providing binoculars which are fine, if you do not want to purchase these.

Here is the problem w most of the cruise line supplied binocs - they are 100% total junk.  I did a cruise last year in AK and the supplied binocs were $200 + name brand Nikon binocs and there were 2 in the cabin since there were 2 of us in the cabin.  They were excellent.  The ship even had a bunch of spotting scopes scattered around the ship which were priced on Amazon at $300.

I just came off an equally expensive Viking expedition cruise and the binoculars they had were about $20 and worse than useless.  

If binoculars are important to you you have to bring good ones with you don't count on the ship supplied ones.

DON