New Ventures for NCLH

Beezo

Hello!

Intention is for a fun topic - idea sparked when I saw a news alert that Todd Hamilton (NCL Senior VP of Sales) is moving to a new role to cover NCLH as SVP of New Ventures. 

I’ll say it here first…. My guesses for what could be explored (money aside - long term plays):

1.) Another NCL destination expanding on the success of Great Stirrup Cay and Harvest Caye. Royal Caribbean has Perfect Day at CoCo Cay, Labadee Beach in Haiti, and two upcoming destination in Nassau and Perfect Day at Lelepa.  Carnival is developing a destination on Grand Bahama Island in addition to Amber Cove, Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays. Disney just announced a second destination as well.

2.) Expedition Cruises - either via acquisition of a ship/line, building to add to either Regent or Oceania, or a fourth line dedicated to this fast expanding market. Although much smaller ships compared to other expedition ships, Swan Hellenic could be a target with three brand new ships. 

what are your thoughts?

They are $14 billion in debt and the cost of borrowing for new investment is very high right now. As a shareholder, I'd like to see them focus on paying down some of that debt and improving service on their current assets, and canceling or postponing new ship orders until their staffing issues are resolved. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, zzdoug said:

They are $14 billion in debt and the cost of borrowing for new investment is very high right now. As a shareholder, I'd like to see them focus on paying down some of that debt and improving service on their current assets, and canceling or postponing new ship orders until their staffing issues are resolved. 

Sounds like a plan.  But I don't know if Finateri is going to agree with your thought process.  NCL is on the hook for these new ships on order.  

3 hours ago, Jim The Lizard said:

Sounds like a plan.  But I don't know if Finateri is going to agree with your thought process.  NCL is on the hook for these new ships on order.  

My 100 shares isn't quite enough to get a seat on the board of directors. So my suggestion isn't worth the pixels it's written with. 

Edited by zzdoug
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 5:01 AM, zzdoug said:

My 100 shares isn't quite enough to get a seat on the board of directors. So my suggestion isn't worth the pixels it's written with. 

That's pretty good!   Iike your suggestion despite it probably not showing up the corporate "urgent matters" meeting agenda!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 12:17 AM, fastpitchdad said:

Sounds like he is "spending more time with his family". 

I actually thought the same.  Only part that makes me think this is a "real" scenario is that he worked for Harry Sommer for NCL-Brand and this role would follow him to NCLH.

Time will tell - And obviously there is a serious concern around debt - But they still need to have a focus/road map to remain competitive, hence New Ventures.

• Like 1

Well they have started to add more destinations to the offerings. we are going to Portugal and the Canary Island this fall. iThis is new.They are also making change if to other European and Mediterranean Cruise. I personally would like them to add more options for B2B for those itineraries.