One person no show

1kaper

Unfortunately I will not be able to make the cruise I booked for my mother and I. Both our names are on the room but I booked. 
Sailing out of Orlando. 
There is no insurance involved. I will be taking the loss on my side of the fare )I know that would change answers if I was using cancellation insurance). 

I know from reading the Carnival boards that it is often better to just now show and they refund ports fees and taxes than to cancel one person ahead of time for their line. 

I’m wondering if anyone has experience on MSC. 

Yes. I could call MSC but after dealing with them for changing another cruise due to the same health issue I know that it takes forever to get through (calling from Canada), I get disconnected frequently and get as many different answers as agents I speak with. 

Not sure what MSC Canada T and C’s are.

Here are MSC USA Terms and Conditions paragraphs that seem to apply to this situation.

In case of a partial Booking cancellation whereby one or more Passengers have cancelled their Cruise Package, leaving one Passenger to occupy the cabin after the cancellation of the other Passenger(s), the remaining Passenger occupying the cabin for single use will be assessed a 100% single surcharge.

No refund will be issued if a Passenger voluntarily or involuntarily does not show up for their cruise, is denied boarding for any reason including failure to provide required travel documents, passport or visa, terminates his/her cruise before the scheduled disembarkation date, or is disembarked pursuant to Section 7 or 18. Cruise contracts are non-transferable.

Edited by phissy

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Not sure what MSC Canada T and C’s are.

Here are MSC USA Terms and Conditions paragraphs that seem to apply to this situation.

In case of a partial Booking cancellation whereby one or more Passengers have cancelled their Cruise Package, leaving one Passenger to occupy the cabin after the cancellation of the other Passenger(s), the remaining Passenger occupying the cabin for single use will be assessed a 100% single surcharge.

No refund will be issued if a Passenger voluntarily or involuntarily does not show up for their cruise, is denied boarding for any reason including failure to provide required travel documents, passport or visa, terminates his/her cruise before the scheduled disembarkation date, or is disembarked pursuant to Section 7 or 18. Cruise contracts are non-transferable.

Thanks. 

I think Carnival has a similar policy but it’s hit and miss if they apply the additional fees if you just don’t show. I’m thinking it might be best to just let her check in. If they end up charging her, we’ll pay it obviously. But they may not pick up on it unless we specifically tell them I’m not going. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't bank on getting your port taxes back. When we cruise with MSC in March of 2022, we skipped Grand Cayman because they weren't open to cruise ships at that point. We were two cabins with a total of seven passengers. They gave us a courtesy credit of $25 OBC per cabin. However the port taxes on seven people were nearly $200. We went round and round with customer service on board and on land and never got a refund. They don't like to refund port taxes. Just FYI!

29 minutes ago, KarenGretz said:

I wouldn't bank on getting your port taxes back. When we cruise with MSC in March of 2022, we skipped Grand Cayman because they weren't open to cruise ships at that point. We were two cabins with a total of seven passengers. They gave us a courtesy credit of $25 OBC per cabin. However the port taxes on seven people were nearly $200. We went round and round with customer service on board and on land and never got a refund. They don't like to refund port taxes. Just FYI!

Your situation is different from the OP's situation. 

He will receive taxes and port fees back due to his cancellation of his cruise.

You are talking about the return of a port fee due to the cancellation of the port while on the cruise. On any cruise line, a port fee may or may not be refunded based upon the port fee pool from which port fees for that cruise is being paid.

If there is a deficit, no fees will be returned (and you will not be charged additional money). If the money in the pool is adequate to cover the remaining ports, a port fee will be returned.

Somehow there  seems to be ignorance  among  cruisers on how port fees are calculated at the time of booking and the misconception that  they will be refunded if a port s missed.

• Like 1

Yes, your plan if fine. Just be a no show. Otherwise trying to cancel will incur cancellation penalties and additional charges for your mother. Refund of taxes is not automatic, but if you contact them 2-3 weeks after the sailing date, they will refund. Though that could take another few weeks.

Bret

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 3:30 PM, KarenGretz said:

How much were the port fees for Grand Cayman? I don't think they specify that. How much were you trying to recover? 

Usually the majority of the port fees are from the home port and the islands charge minimal fees per person.

$25 OBC seems to me to pretty much cover that.

Thanks all. 

I'm not even concerned if I don't get port fees and taxes back.  I'll take whatever loss I need to at this point.  I just would rather not pay extra money on top of what I am losing.  

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I’m not going to find out. 
my doctor has rescheduled because she thinks I should go ahead and do the cruise. Turns out I’m sailing Sunday!  

• Like 4