Ketchikan, photo safari tour

gottagoacruzn

I have not taken this tour but wanted to alert you to read up about the black bears at Herring Cove. Sept will be a good time to be there and you don't have to fly. Try to find out if the photo tour will take you there.  Also read up on Ward Cove if your ship docks there. (8 miles out of town and 30 min bus ride). sightcrr. 

I did this excursion last August and really enjoyed it. We spent some time at Creek Street, the Totem Pole Museum, a beautiful creek area where the salmon were spawning and a few other places outside of town. 

Our tour group was small so he had lots of time with each of us to give us great photo tips. 

4 hours ago, Janedoe2012 said:

I did this excursion last August and really enjoyed it. We spent some time at Creek Street, the Totem Pole Museum, a beautiful creek area where the salmon were spawning and a few other places outside of town. 

Our tour group was small so he had lots of time with each of us to give us great photo tips. 

Which company did you book with?

2 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Ok, which is more expensive, the ship or the tour operator?

Cruise lines generally get a 20% commission (although some operators may pay up to 30%), so you can expect to get a privately booked tour for around that much cheaper.  I don't know for sure, but I expect the cruise lines do some "dynamic" pricing on their excursions, jacking up the price on popular excursions with limited availability or that are exclusive to the ships, and lowering prices on tours that are offered by private vendors who can charge less because they're not paying commission.