P&O in Rome - coach drop off point?

phoenixalpha

We've been dropped off in a few different places:

• Just outside St Peter's Square, on Piazza Papa Pio XII (outside a souvenir shop with clean facilities)
  • Underground parking/terminal not far from St Peter's Square (with a short walk all together to souvenir shop/restrooms)
  • Outside the Flaminio station (across the road from Piazza del Popolo)
  • Behind the Forum, near Circo Massimo

We've also taken the train (cheap and quick but can be VERY busy) but our favourite way was to book a private taxi - obviously not the cheapest, but not that expensive and so very easy to arrange and not have to wait for others.

On October off Aurora it was just past the wedding cake building at the end of the corso, near a couple of temples.  Not far from the capitoline museum and the back

way to the forum.  See below  ADFA7734-DA7B-4142-B503-06552FFA767A.thumb.jpeg.3d3c80bd743adf52c6cd0f53478e241b.jpeg

Edited by galeforce9

The last time I was there we were dropped off near Piazza Venezia, it was a few years ago though. Walked just over 7 miles that day so very comfy footwear needed. Worth every step and would never say no to Rome.

On 4/18/2023 at 12:02 PM, CaptainPedantic said:

We've been dropped off in a few different places:

• Just outside St Peter's Square, on Piazza Papa Pio XII (outside a souvenir shop with clean facilities)
  • Underground parking/terminal not far from St Peter's Square (with a short walk all together to souvenir shop/restrooms)
  • Outside the Flaminio station (across the road from Piazza del Popolo)
  • Behind the Forum, near Circo Massimo

We've also taken the train (cheap and quick but can be VERY busy) but our favourite way was to book a private taxi - obviously not the cheapest, but not that expensive and so very easy to arrange and not have to wait for others.

Taxi sounds live an easy and more comfortable route........................an indication of cost??

51 minutes ago, TypicalManc said:

Taxi sounds live an easy and more comfortable route........................an indication of cost??

From Civitavecchia to central Rome last year in July was €200 each way. I had to pay it following a medical emergency.  Incidentally Uber charge was coming in at just under €400 in June when my pre booked transfer let me down. Luckily my t/a sourced another transfer which came in around £150 paid by her in UK. The journey depending on traffic is between 1 hour and 1 1/2 hours.  

3 hours ago, TypicalManc said:

We booked with Rome hyphen airport dot net for 125 euros total return journey, July 2019. Driver was literally right outside the gates when we got off, dropped us at Castel Sant Angelo and we were the first people in the queue. very reasonable price for a family of 4. 
Picked us up near the Spanish Steps exactly as requested, he was even 20 mins early as he knew it was due to rain (heavily). 
We would do this every time from now on. 

1 hour ago, CaptainPedantic said:

We booked with Rome hyphen airport dot net for 125 euros total return journey, July 2019. Driver was literally right outside the gates when we got off, dropped us at Castel Sant Angelo and we were the first people in the queue. very reasonable price for a family of 4. 
Picked us up near the Spanish Steps exactly as requested, he was even 20 mins early as he knew it was due to rain (heavily). 
We would do this every time from now on. 

I was very interested in this information as last year I was virtually commuting from Rome to Civitavecchia while my aunt was hospitalised.  There was a severe shortage of taxi drivers/chauffeurs and prices were as I say around the €200 each way.  As I am in Rome once more in August I've just checked your suggested company. They are cheaper but unfortunately prices are very much increased on your experience as the attached shows.

Screenshot_20230422-180556_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wow that’s quite an increase, although I must admit I was very surprised by how cheap it was for us in 2019. Depending on the price of the P&O “on your own” trip, I’d probably still consider that taxi for 4 people, it was so easy and convenient. But for 2 (or even 1) maybe not.