What to do on a Trans Atlantic for 16 days

MrLee

:) We did a transatlantic in Nov, 1999, used the sea days to work out in the gym, found time to attend many of the shipboard functions, had time to read a few good books. My wife and I are doing a round trip to Hawaii on the Summit April 23 rd, 4 sea days each way, we are looking foward to just taking it easy during the transit.

Happy cruising:)

BobN

Hi,

Sea days are a joy!!

Celebrity is good at offering a myriad of options for things to do without things feeling over-programmed.

But our preference on a sea day, especially on multiple, consecutive sea days, is to relax and enjoy the pleasures of an ocean voyage: sit in a deck chair, read a good book; lounge by the pool and watch the passing scenery of passengers; avail yourself of the spa; enjoy "getting away from it all" for awhile!

You might take advantage of the time to plan special events with all the new Cruise Critic friends you can make being involved with a sailing thread here.

Above all, have a great time. The sea days will pass all too quickly.

CM

Hi,

Sea days are a joy!!

Celebrity is good at offering a myriad of options for things to do without things feeling over-programmed.

But our preference on a sea day, especially on multiple, consecutive sea days, is to relax and enjoy the pleasures of an ocean voyage: sit in a deck chair, read a good book; lounge by the pool and watch the passing scenery of passengers; avail yourself of the spa; enjoy "getting away from it all" for awhile!

You might take advantage of the time to plan special events with all the new Cruise Critic friends you can make being involved with a sailing thread here.

Above all, have a great time. The sea days will pass all too quickly.

CM

I do love to read and I'm bringing my laptop and PDA which have thousands of books but then again I can do that at home. I'm hoping for something interesting to supplement the books.

Hello Mr. Lee - having just enjoyed the Hawaii return trip with 4 sea days each way, I can say " we adore sea days". I had a look at our daily newletters to see what special entertainment happened on the sea days: guest lecturers (ours were a chef, a naturalist and an astronaut), additional showings of the entertainers who were a real 'hit', movies, art/wine auctions, martini/wine tastings, many various computer classes, introductions to accupuncture and oriental medicine, flower arranging, and the usual extra fitness classes, bridge/card games etc. Being we were going to Hawaii there was a Hawaiian on board to teach lei making, Hula lessons and discuss Hawaiian culture etc - perhaps you will have such a person on board??

I was anticipating being somewhat bored and had brought several books, however I barely finished ONE book so that tells you something about how much 'spare' time I had.

Enjoy your sailing - we hope to do a transatlantic one day too. Jayna K

I'm kind of wondering what to do for 16 days with all those sea days. I lve the sea days but 6 in a row is a lot. Any of you who have done a T/A, how did you pass the time?
>>

I used my laptop to sort and edit the 400 digital pictures I took in Barcelona, Nice, Villefranche, Malaga, Santa Cruz de La Tenerife and aboard ship. I read three books, saw shows, listened to lectures, toured the galley, dined twice in the Oympic, chatted with cruise friends and booked a third transatlantic for this fall. The sea days were over all too soon.

I am the type that thought I would go nuts on a cruise of 7 days before my first cruise. I just couldn't believe you would ever get me on a ship. Well after my first cruise I was hooked.

We did the TA in September and I loved it. They had a Cruise Ship Historian on the cruise and he had a daily lecture. It was one of the things we looked forward each day. We took a behind the scenes tour one afternoon, played bingo, watched a movie, swam, read a couple books on a quiet deck, took naps when I felt like it, had cappucinos at Cova, leisurely lunches... time just slipped by. I was never boar ed but got off the cruise very relaxed.

We did a 16 day transatlantic cruise that had 5 straight sea days. Best days on the vessel.

We could care less about ship "baby sitting" events for those that needed to be constantly entertained.

We simply sat on our balcony each day enjoying to the fullest the sight of the passing waves and the sounds of the passing waves.

Extremely relaxing and the main reason why we like repositioning cruises is for the long number of sea days.

The rest I can get at home.

Why waist time reading a book or attending some entertainment that is the sole purpose of "killing" time. Enjoy the sea while you can.

As for sitting on deck in the sun well you happen to have the same sun in your back yard at home if that is what gets you on.

When at sea enjoy the sea. I do not have one in my back yard nor around the corner from the house.

Steamboatin, sorry, but it is quite a difference to sit in the sun " of your backyard" and realaxeing in the sun on board a ship, in a quite corner.

What do you see when you look up while sitting on your backyard- surley sometimes you some work which should be done....... ! LOL! What do you see when you look up from your book reading on deck..... I don´t have to say everybody who loves cruising knows...........

I totaly agree, I love it also to sit on the balcony and enjoy listen to the waves and looking out to the sea.

Nothing better than those relaxeing seas days.

Greetings

Michael

Signman - I had to go take a look and the daily. The Maritime Historian was John Maxton-Graham. He has written many books but was featuring "The Only Way to Cross".

I agree with the others about sea days. I love them and never finding an escape. I especially like to read and very rarely get the opportunity to just relax.

Archived