JFK to Newark

daisybertie

Good afternoon everyone. Am looking for some advice from people who have transferred from JFK to Newark airport. We will be on our way to Amsterdam for a cruise to Norway. We arrive at JFK at 5 o’clock in the evening and leave Newark the following evening. 
I have found several car services on the Internet but would appreciate  some local knowledge about which is a reliable and safe mode of transfer. There will be two of us and two pieces of luggage. Thanks for any suggestions. 
Best wishes to all.

33 minutes ago, daisybertie said:

I have found several car services on the Internet but would appreciate  some local knowledge about which is a reliable and safe mode of transfer. There will be two of us and two pieces of luggage. Thanks for any suggestions. 

You have a number of options. What is your plan for lodging that evening? Stay near Newark Airport? 

Most options you find on the internet, like Dial7 and Carmel, are car service aggregators and not actual brick and mortar car services. They work just fine and have competitive rates but just know what you're getting into. A higher end aggregator is an app called Blacklane which will give you a top rate livery service but usually at a more premium cost. 

Going between JFK and EWR I personally would just Uber or Lyft (worth checking both as sometimes one is slightly less than the other). You could take a NYC taxi but it would be a long ride in a not so comfortable car-- I wouldn't recommend it when you have better options above. 

Thank you for your quick reply. We plan to stay at a hotel at Newark so at least we are in the right spot for our flight the next day. I am probably worrying too much, but  would it be better to stay the night near JFK and go to Newark in the daytime, rather than in the evening? 

I would rather arrive in the Newark area the day before your flight so you are close to your departure city. Besides staying in Newark you are better off staying in Elizabeth New Jersey near the Jersey Gardens Mall. There are numerous hotels right near the mall.

7 hours ago, daisybertie said:

I am probably worrying too much, but  would it be better to stay the night near JFK and go to Newark in the daytime, rather than in the evening?

You certainly have plenty of time not departing until the next evening-- while they are in different states they aren't wildly far apart from each other. I wouldn't worry so much about whether you go the night before or the day of-- I would just avoid traveling during the morning and afternoon rush hours. 

At JFK you have the TWA Hotel which is housed in the former 1960's Eero Saarinen designed TWA Flight Center at terminal 5. That might be the only reason I would even consider staying at JFK. It is a fun transit hotel with a nice Jean Georges restaurant and great rooftop pool overlooking the tarmac but it is not a true luxury hotel. 

Offerings at EWR are much more pedestrian. The main onsite hotel there is the Marriott nestled between the terminals which would most likely be my choice. 

You do have enough time that you could stay in Manhattan. It certainly would cost more than either airport option but you would have access to much better dinner options as well as the ability to walk around the city the next morning/afternoon if you were so inclined. Obviously this would only be if you wanted to make an occasion of it. 

Edited by princeton123211
typo

9 hours ago, daisybertie said:

Thank you for your quick reply. We plan to stay at a hotel at Newark so at least we are in the right spot for our flight the next day. I am probably worrying too much, but  would it be better to stay the night near JFK and go to Newark in the daytime, rather than in the evening? 

Ordinarily I would prefer to do the majority of the local travel the day before, so as to minimize the consequences of anything go wrong on the day of, but given that your flight departing from Newark is not until the evening those risks should not be substantial. I am reading into your inquiry that, at the end of a long trans-Pacific flight, you expect to minimize any post-flight local travel, and just "crash" at a close and near-by hotel without any plans to do anything more that day. So you probably have a good plan in mind.

You might want to consider the soon-to-open Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Queens/Jamaica. Upon arrival at JFK, the AirTrain service will take you direct to the Jamaica station, from which it is a two block walk to the hotel. Depending on the airline terminal at which you arrive, it will be between ten and twenty minutes on AirTrain. It is a reliable service, and I cannot recall there ever having been any incidents relating to safety where passengers were injured. This would likely be the most convenient place to stay, within minimal arrangements having to be made.

The next day you could travel from the same Jamaica station by railroad to the Newark airport station. About 20 minutes from Jamaica station to Pennsylvania station (change trains), then about 30 minutes to Newark airport station. Use the AirTrain at Newark airport to get to the specific airline terminal from which your flight departs.