Bayeux Tapestry - Curious

Carolfay

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

For many teens, visiting the military sites and cemeteries in the Normandy area is a very sobering experience. A large number of those invading, and those defending, were just a few years older than these visitors.

At the Canadian visitor center at Juno the docents are all young people, purposely the same age as those who lost their lives there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 12:00 AM, Gropo said:

But wasn’t Harald himself descended from Vikings

Thanks for your comments, One of the great things about Viking is that their customers are often the sort of people that enjoy this sort of discussion as much as I do. 

Of course, you're perfectly correct. In fact my son, who is a history graduate, pointed out exactly the same thing when I spoke to him after making my original post.

However, I can't resist defending my position by saying that the invaders did indeed do all they could to impose their specifically Norman culture (which was only partially Viking derived) in the areas over which they ruled.

Regarding making quotes, you should find that if you highlight a section of text within a post, a "Quote selection" box will appear on screen. Clicking that box will open the reply to topic box with the quoted text at the top so you can add comments underneath.

If you already have the reply box open when you select the text, then it will insert the quote like this: 

On 4/25/2023 at 12:00 AM, Gropo said:

( sorry, don’t know how to properly do quotes):

Hope that helps 🙂