Another Santorini timing question…

MeganGC1983

I’ve read and read cable car and tender questions on here, but I’m wondering… If sunset is at 8:32pm, we leave a Fira restaurant by 8:35pm… can we walk down the stairs in the 25 minutes? Is that logical? I’d like to watch the sunset, and I’m about to make a restaurant deposit… back onboard time is 9:30. What do you think? 

I would say that's cutting it very close.  I think 25 minutes going down is right in that sweet spot of what it takes to walk down hill.  Some will take more time.  Some will take less time.  Me?  I would start down 45-60 minutes before last tender and take my time and take pictures of the sunset along the way.

• Thanks 1

Wouldn't be in my comfort zone. 

We enjoyed the views from the ship !   It was wonderful to look up and watch the lights slowly coming on across the island then watch the sun set on the horizon.

Then when it was totally dark we enjoyed the lights on the donkey path as it criss crossed up the cliff, the lights of the cable cars, and the towns totally lit up.   Actually those were some of my favorite views of Santorini.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

… back onboard time is 9:30.

There's no "back on board" time in Santorini, all passengers are tendered.

"Last tender time" is usually 60 minutes before sailaway.

Can you clarify ?

Cos as per Me💗Cruising's post it's quite tight timing

JB 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, John Bull said:

There's no "back on board" time in Santorini, all passengers are tendered.

"Last tender time" is usually 60 minutes before sailaway.

Can you clarify ?

Cos as per Me💗Cruising's post it's quite tight timing

JB 🙂

Sail away is 10pm, so I’m assuming last tender is 9. I’m thinking it will be cutting it too close. Back up plan is to get a table down at the port and watch it from there. Then join one of the last tenders. What do you think?

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

Wouldn't be in my comfort zone. 

We enjoyed the views from the ship !   It was wonderful to look up and watch the lights slowly coming on across the island then watch the sun set on the horizon.

Then when it was totally dark we enjoyed the lights on the donkey path as it criss crossed up the cliff, the lights of the cable cars, and the towns totally lit up.   Actually those were some of my favorite views of Santorini.

Sounds beautiful. Thanks for that information. Definitely makes me rethink things. 

2 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I would say that's cutting it very close.  I think 25 minutes going down is right in that sweet spot of what it takes to walk down hill.  Some will take more time.  Some will take less time.  Me?  I would start down 45-60 minutes before last tender and take my time and take pictures of the sunset along the way.

I agree. I’m rethinking it all. Good thing I have 38 days to figure it out. Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Sail away is 10pm, so I’m assuming last tender is 9. I’m thinking it will be cutting it too close. Back up plan is to get a table down at the port and watch it from there. Then join one of the last tenders. What do you think?

Yes, too fine.

We've never been there in the evening, but the bar at the upper cablecar station might suit, or mapleleaves isn't the only member who's said that the sunset is pretty good on-board.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1