Upgrading a booking after final payment (not Moveup)

Les43

We are cruising on Reflection on 17th July from Rome on a Greek Islands and Malta cruise. We have booked a SV via a TA and we have now made final payment. I have just tried an online booking to see the cost of a Sky suite and have discovered the total cost is £300 more than we paid for our SV. I expect Moveup bids to be significantly in excess of that! Has anyone ever moved a booking after final payment? I assume there are penalties for changing. It seems like an excellent deal and one perhaps not to be missed. Would appreciate any views? 

14 minutes ago, Les43 said:

We are cruising on Reflection on 17th July from Rome on a Greek Islands and Malta cruise. We have booked a SV via a TA and we have now made final payment. I have just tried an online booking to see the cost of a Sky suite and have discovered the total cost is £300 more than we paid for our SV. I expect Moveup bids to be significantly in excess of that! Has anyone ever moved a booking after final payment? I assume there are penalties for changing. It seems like an excellent deal and one perhaps not to be missed. Would appreciate any views? 

l43 -  I recommend you call X ASAP to find out what the possible downsides would be instead of waiting and possibly missing out on the better cabin... 

Then you can come back and let us know how you made out. 

It will be different for your country than the US, I Am sure...

Good luck and bon voyage

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Les43 said:

Has anyone ever moved a booking after final payment? I assume there are penalties for changing. It seems like an excellent deal and one perhaps not to be missed. Would appreciate any views?

I have done it, but the original booking was also made after the final payment date, and the agent referred to that fact when agreeing to upgrade as my current cabin price had not changed since I booked it.

On other occasions with UK bookings they have always referred back to the relevant cabin prices at the time of the original booking, not the current price vs the original price.

Good luck though and do let us know how you get on...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les43 said:

As others have mentioned, not sure if there are different rules outside the US. We are on the Summit 7/15/23 to Bermuda and booked a suite guarantee. Our stateroom was assigned within a few days of booking (well before final payment) to an accessible Sky Suite. Final payment was April 17th.

Yesterday we saw a Celebrity suite become available. I called and we were able to pay the current fare difference and "upgrade" to said suite. The only thing we lost was some On Board Credit that was a promotion at the time of our original booking ($150 total so not a deal breaker.) There was no other penalty or fees involved.

Ring your Travel Agent and see what they can do. 🙂

Good luck!

I just changed my room from an ultra deluxe veranda on the Millennium to a sky suite guarantee two days ago, after I'd already made final payment, and it was fine. There were no penalties. They didn't consider it rebooking, it was just an upgrade. I paid the price difference of the new cabin compared to my old one, and that was it. We sail on July 7. I had originally booked online and I simply called and spoke to a customer service rep at Celebrity to make the change. I received the current OBC promotions for the new cabin. 

I had changed my cabin previously, before final payment, and I lost $50 in OBC that was part of the deal when I'd booked that cabin, that wasn't offered when I changed cabins. So there is a chance you could lose some OBC if there is a special deal that was offered at one point and isn't being offered again. But that had nothing to do with my change two days ago. All of my previous OBC carried over and I received another $650 in promotional OBC for the sky suite and a spring deal they were offering.

Edited by njsmom

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

l43 -  I recommend you call X ASAP to find out what the possible downsides would be instead of waiting and possibly missing out on the better cabin... 

Then you can come back and let us know how you made out. 

It will be different for your country than the US, I Am sure...

Good luck and bon voyage

Here in Canada just upgraded our sailing for May 9th two weeks ago. Well after finals payment and no fees or penalties, in fact when calling X, they even found a lower fare than what was offered online. Call and ask won't cost you anything but your time.

• Thanks 1