Round trip Ft lauderdale to san diego and return on the zaandam in Jan 24.

Lakesregion

I am trying to book a 15 day cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego in January and then immediately return on the same ship for a 15 day cruise back to Ft Lauderdale. My TA says this is not possible as it involves two US ports. But both cruises have foreign ports in between. Anyone have a good answer to this? Someone who has done it before if possible.

Thank you

1 minute ago, Lakesregion said:

I am trying to book a 15 day cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego in January and then immediately return on the same ship for a 15 day cruise back to Ft Lauderdale. My TA says this is not possible as it involves two US ports. But both cruises have foreign ports in between. Anyone have a good answer to this? Someone who has done it before if possible.

Thank you

Your TA is incorrect.  I believe he/she may be misunderstanding the PVSA.

According to the PVSA a foreign-flagged ship may not transport passengers between two DIFFERENT  US ports without a  stop in a DISTANT foreign port.  

The PVSA looks at where a passenger embarked and disembarked from the SAME ship.  If the two ports are different then the DISTANT foreign port must be on the itinerary.

If the two cruises you wish to take are one way cruises between two different US ports, then there must be a distant foreign port stop on each one of them (most Panama Canal cruises have this already).

BUT, since your proposed B2B would have you embarking in Ft Lauderdale and disembarking in Ft Lauderdale, the PVSA wouldn't apply.

I'd suggest you ask your TA to contact HAL and confirm his/her statement that you can't book this B2B.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Your TA is incorrect.  I believe he/she may be misunderstanding the PVSA.

According to the PVSA a foreign-flagged ship may not transport passengers between two DIFFERENT  US ports without a  stop in a DISTANT foreign port.  

The PVSA looks at where a passenger embarked and disembarked from the SAME ship.  If the two ports are different then the DISTANT foreign port must be on the itinerary.

If the two cruises you wish to take are one way cruises between two different US ports, then there must be a distant foreign port stop on each one of them (most Panama Canal cruises have this already).

BUT, since your proposed B2B would have you embarking in Ft Lauderdale and disembarking in Ft Lauderdale, the PVSA wouldn't apply.

I'd suggest you ask your TA to contact HAL and confirm his/her statement that you can't book this B2B.

Thank you for the prompt reply. My TA checked with their supervisor and all is good. Booked as two distinct cruises and may have to move my cabin but no biggie there. By doing two distinct cruises I get two OBC from the TA plus two OBC on the stock purchase.

Had originally booked the QM2 2024 world cruise but too many covid iffys and who knows what the South China sea will look like in March 2024. So HAL looks like a perfect alternative. Small ship, good food and good folk. I have done the Panama Canal both ways on Cunard and loved the cruise.

8 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Thank you for the prompt reply. My TA checked with their supervisor and all is good. Booked as two distinct cruises and may have to move my cabin but no biggie there. By doing two distinct cruises I get two OBC from the TA plus two OBC on the stock purchase.

Had originally booked the QM2 2024 world cruise but too many covid iffys and who knows what the South China sea will look like in March 2024. So HAL looks like a perfect alternative. Small ship, good food and good folk. I have done the Panama Canal both ways on Cunard and loved the cruise.

Have a great trip.  We've done the Panama Canal twice (DCL and HAL).  

We did a similar cruise on Princess in 2010. LA to Ft Lauderdale and back to LA. It was great. It was also booked as a back to back. Worked out really well as DH got up early to take pictures going thru the canal on the 1st leg and later found out the Camera SD card was bad. So he had a second shot at it on the way back.