UK cruisers - Amex £200 back on £750 spend.

ziggyuk

Can anyone confirm, if you have an additional cardholder via the supplementary card option https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/supplementary-cards/

Can you both activate this offer, and both receive the cashback.

2 different cards but linked to the same 1 account essentially.

Also if I apply for supplementary card now, is it likely this offer will appear straight away on the new card ?

Edited by gregluk

Just now, gregluk said:

Can anyone confirm, if you have an additional cardholder via the supplementary card option https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/supplementary-cards/

Can you both activate this offer, and both receive the cashback.

2 different cards but linked to the same 1 account essentially

Yes, that works

16 minutes ago, gregluk said:

Also if I apply for supplementary card now, is it likely this offer will appear straight away on the new card ?

For this part, I would say it is highly unlikely. When I have got a new card I only got new offers and no existing offers.
In fact, they only gave me the offer on my platinum and not my gold but I have been hardly getting anything on my gold, perhaps my spend is too low on that card

I usually spend like mad on a new card for the welcome points but since that ended for existing customers, I have not spent so much this time.

Ha ha, was just coming on here to update the thread from the other day and saw this!

Great it's back, although I do have a problem, as our outstanding balance is only £734, so not quite enough.

I was actually going to phone and get it re-priced, as the cost of the cruise has come down now, and even with the annoying admin charge of £70 (USA are so lucky they don't get charged this) it would have saved over £100.

Now I'm considering asking to upgrade from ocean view to a balcony, as it's only about £150 more (online), and would obviously then get the Amex credit. Does anyone know if you get charged the admin fee for this as well? Nowhere near pay in full date yet.

6 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

Ha ha, was just coming on here to update the thread from the other day and saw this!

Great it's back, although I do have a problem, as our outstanding balance is only £734, so not quite enough.

I was actually going to phone and get it re-priced, as the cost of the cruise has come down now, and even with the annoying admin charge of £70 (USA are so lucky they don't get charged this) it would have saved over £100.

Now I'm considering asking to upgrade from ocean view to a balcony, as it's only about £150 more (online), and would obviously then get the Amex credit. Does anyone know if you get charged the admin fee for this as well? Nowhere near pay in full date yet.

Last time I added my gratuities to make the balance enough, I normally only pre-pay gratuities a week before the cruise.

Just now, ziggyuk said:

Last time I added my gratuities to make the balance enough, I normally only pre-pay gratuities a week before the cruise.

I'd already added them when I booked.

I know from last time that you can't add excursions at the same time as paying off balance, as they're two different systems unfortunately. I could obviously try paying both separately and hope that the offer still tracks, but it's a big risk as the offer says it should be one payment.

Just now, Ladyshopper23 said:

I'd already added them when I booked.

I know from last time that you can't add excursions at the same time as paying off balance, as they're two different systems unfortunately. I could obviously try paying both separately and hope that the offer still tracks, but it's a big risk as the offer says it should be one payment.

You are right, I asked my PCC if there was anything he could add that would not be separately invoice and he told me there wasn't anything.
I agree, I would not risk two payments, upgrade is the way to go.

• Like 1

Just now, ziggyuk said:

You are right, I asked my PCC if there was anything he could add that would not be separately invoice and he told me there wasn't anything.
I agree, I would not risk two payments, upgrade is the way to go.

Will ring tomorrow, and update on here how I get on. 

Decided to ring today.

I've managed to upgrade. Annoyingly there is still an admin charge of £70, which you also get charged when re-pricing (so that's 3 times now on this booking I've paid it, that will teach me for booking early!).

However, including that charge, it's cost me £203 to upgrade, and I'll get that £200 back from Amex, whereas if I'd left it I wouldn't have been able to access the cashback, so it seems reasonable to me.

Also get an additional speciality meal with now being in a balcony (not that we're that bothered about those).

I am thinking of booking vibe passes & excursions that will be over £750 and I think this would work for £200 bonus am I right??  I missed the previous offer so got an Amex card so I am delighted!  I could just pay part of my balance but think this could be a good way to utilise this offer

41 minutes ago, steel1203 said:

I am thinking of booking vibe passes & excursions that will be over £750 and I think this would work for £200 bonus am I right??  I missed the previous offer so got an Amex card so I am delighted!  I could just pay part of my balance but think this could be a good way to utilise this offer

It should work.

The terms of the offer say that you need a single transaction of £750, and there is a good chance that what you are planning on doing will be split into multiple transactions.

During the last offer someone did report that they got the cashback despite it being multiple transactions, but I don't recall whether they needed to call to get it recognised.

Basically, you should be OK, but it isn't guaranteed.

Can someone tell me where I can find this offer? 
Also I have a November booking and do not need to pay the balance until September, could I use this as a partial payment or does it have to be something I pay for now, eg excursions and spa things?

Edited by Number34
Typo

8 hours ago, Number34 said:

Can someone tell me where I can find this offer? 
Also I have a November booking and do not need to pay the balance until September, could I use this as a partial payment or does it have to be something I pay for now, eg excursions and spa things?

If you log into your American Express account and look under the offers section, then it will be there (assuming you have the offer, I don't think all cards do). If you do have it, then you need to save it to your card.

When the offer has come up previously, I've just made a partial payment of whatever the offer amount is. Last time it was spend £1000, get £350 back, so I paid off £1000 (twice, as also had it on supplementary card holder card). This time it's £750 to get £200 back.

In the UK you can't do partial payments on the website, but you can either phone or do them on the NCL app. Both of these have always tracked in the past for me in terms of getting the cashback offer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

In the UK you can't do partial payments on the website, but you can either phone or do them on the NCL app. Both of these have always tracked in the past for me in terms of getting the cashback offer.

Good tip about the app!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this, it's appreciated.
Trying to make a partial payment on the app right now. Whilst it shows the Pay in full amount as being £xxxx, the 'Pay Other Amount' box has a $ sign rather than a £ - is that just a just the app being stupid and not translating the character, or does it (hopefully not!) mean that I need to convert £750 into USD, and enter that value?

11 minutes ago, thedarklord said:

Thanks for sharing this, it's appreciated.
Trying to make a partial payment on the app right now. Whilst it shows the Pay in full amount as being £xxxx, the 'Pay Other Amount' box has a $ sign rather than a £ - is that just a just the app being stupid and not translating the character, or does it (hopefully not!) mean that I need to convert £750 into USD, and enter that value?

Yes, that’s just an issue with the app. It treats it as pounds.

24 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes, that’s just an issue with the app. It treats it as pounds.

Thanks for that, good to have that confirmed.
I've put a payment through, hopefully it'll appear on my wifes supplementary card later. Hoping for a few more of these before our final payment date sometime in 2025!

Thanks for the info on where to find the offer. I tried looking in the app but cannot find anywhere to make a payment. Would this be because I made the booking through a travel agent?

2 hours ago, Number34 said:

Thanks for the info on where to find the offer. I tried looking in the app but cannot find anywhere to make a payment. Would this be because I made the booking through a travel agent?

I suspect so, if you have to pay your travel agent who then forwards the payment to NCL. I’ve never used one, so can’t talk from experience though.

16 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

It should work.

The terms of the offer say that you need a single transaction of £750, and there is a good chance that what you are planning on doing will be split into multiple transactions.

During the last offer someone did report that they got the cashback despite it being multiple transactions, but I don't recall whether they needed to call to get it recognised.

Basically, you should be OK, but it isn't guaranteed.

Ok just called and as you advised Keith, it is 2 separate entries so just paid £800 towards the balance, still a lot more to pay but every saving helps!