Costco cruise insurance not asking age of travelers?

pugmom

49 minutes ago, AnnieCt7 said:

Not a cruise but a trip for five to Hawaii for 18 days.  The fine print says Costco membership and a booking number.  We booked several rental cars via Costco and that number worked. . There is no age inquiry, coverage was good and the price was excellent. I purchased it today. My only concern is the lack of reviews from the United States.  The ones I found regarding claims were from Australia and other countries and most were not positive. I’m now second guessing myself and considering cancelling the policy. 

Can you elaborate on specifics of  negative reviews ? I would like to think that a company like Costco would stand by a good product.

i looked it up on Squaremouth and found 3 positive reviews. I am comfortable with my decision to use Covermore. Hopefully we will never need  to use it!

Edited by pmjnh

I spent some time looking for reviews. Most were from Australia, or people traveling overseas and were claims related.  Trust Pilot rated them 1.5  of course those people with complaints leave reviews so they aren’t always objective. I would love to find more ratings and I haven’t found them. 

4 hours ago, AnnieCt7 said:

I spent some time looking for reviews. Most were from Australia, or people traveling overseas and were claims related.  Trust Pilot rated them 1.5  of course those people with complaints leave reviews so they aren’t always objective. I would love to find more ratings and I haven’t found them. 

I took my chances as well with a CoverMore Policy (Costco Travel). I did the same research and had the same concerns. The way I see it is...  They have an exclusive agreement with Costco. I believe the only way you can purchase the policy is with a trip booked through Costco or call them and provide your Costco Membership information. This means all or the majority of their US customers are coming from Costco. If they begin to provide bad services, etc., I don't think Costco will continue there relationship with CoverMore. That would be a signification loss for CoverMore.

PS: If you research any Travel Insurance Policy, you'll see that they all try to get out of paying claims.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HBDave said:

I took my chances as well with a CoverMore Policy (Costco Travel). I did the same research and had the same concerns. The way I see it is...  They have an exclusive agreement with Costco. I believe the only way you can purchase the policy is with a trip booked through Costco or call them and provide your Costco Membership information. This means all or the majority of their US customers are coming from Costco. If they begin to provide bad services, etc., I don't think Costco will continue there relationship with CoverMore. That would be a signification loss for CoverMore.

PS: If you research any Travel Insurance Policy, you'll see that they all try to get out of paying claims.

You don’t have to be a Costco member to buy this insurance.  It is available at a higher price.  All you need to buy this insurance is one component of your vacation booked with Costco.  We booked rental cars.  That said, I have concerns and cancelled this morning until I can decide.  There is a 21 day window to cancel.  The agent was very nice and is processing my refund. We aren’t going until next March so I have time.  
I agree however, no one wants to pay out claims.  

23 minutes ago, AnnieCt7 said:

You don’t have to be a Costco member to buy this insurance.  It is available at a higher price.  All you need to buy this insurance is one component of your vacation booked with Costco.  We booked rental cars.  That said, I have concerns and cancelled this morning until I can decide.  There is a 21 day window to cancel.  The agent was very nice and is processing my refund. We aren’t going until next March so I have time.  
I agree however, no one wants to pay out claims.  

Just remember with most insurance companies in order to get the Pre-Existing Conditions Wavier, you'll need to purchase the insurance within a certain number of days your initial deposit. The number of days is based on the specific policy.

My cruise is in September / October, so if for any reason I have to submit a claim, I'll provide a review of the process with CoverMore on this site.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/3/2023 at 9:27 PM, pmjnh said:

Hi Cindy,

yes, you have to call  them direct for the quote if the trip was not booked through Costco. They have 2 insurance programs, one for trips booked thoughnCostco and another for trips that you have booked elsewhere. Slight price difference slight difference inbenefit amount but still a better deal than any others I have found. 
the phone number is listed in the Costco travel website unter "travel insurance".

good luck

What they told me was that the cost for a trip booked through Costco Tavel was 5% of the amount insured and 6.5% of that amount for non-Costco booked travel.  You do have to give your Costco member number, or at least I did.

• Like 1