Costco cruise insurance not asking age of travelers?

pugmom

I just booked a cruise on Royal Caribbean through Costco. I am pricing out their cruise insurance (offered by Covermore) and the quotes are all the same (for the same trip cost) regardless of the age of the travelers. The coverage looks similar to what we have been quoted through TravelGuard, etc. but their quotes normally vary by age and are much higher the older you are. My parents will be 80 and 81 on our trip, so we want to make sure that they have good coverage. Comparing coverage details it looks very similar, only much cheaper for them (I'm talking $151 vs.$400 to $600 range). Am I missing something? This seems to be too good to be true but I can't figure out what the catch is! Has anyone else encountered this before or booked cruise insurance through Costco? I just find it very interesting that they don't ask the age of the passengers. 

Thank you so much for the review but unfortunately they have changed insurance carriers- it is now Covermore and not TravelGuard. I am going to call them today...cost difference is significant. 

I looked briefly at the policy (at least the one for Florida) and it seems to provide everything you say, and more.  I was able to get a quote starting at https://www.costcotravel.com/Info/Travel-Insurance.  There was no requirement that I had to purchase the trip from the big box store.  I picked the cruise quote and it never asked about age.  I hope some of the regular posters on this forum can do the same and see if they can find some significant "gotchas" that I missed. Besides the price and no age dependency, here are some of the positives I saw.

• Good coverage amounts across the board.
  • 100% Trip Cancelation and 150% Trip Interruption
  • $200K medical, $1 million evacuation and $15K medical/hospital guarantee
  • Medical evacuation to a hospital of your choice (assuming you meet criteria)
  • Typical covered reasons for cancelation but also includes CFAR at 50% up to $10K
  • $2K Trip delay
  • Rental car damage coverage
  • Waiver of pre-existing conditions if purchased within 21 days of initial trip deposit
  • Primary coverage (at least I can't find any of the typical language that indicates secondary)

Like you, I started looking for the catch because it seems too good to be true.  So far, I have not found the catch.

• Like 1

https://47-0351.covermore.com/

This link does say it is available only through CWC Travel, which is Costco.  In order to book travel and insurance one must be a member.

Cruise line policies do not ask for age either, but I expect that Costco can offer a much more robust plan because it was able to negotiate a contract based on its huge membership. Such a large pool of policyholders mitigates the age risk. The membership fee may also be a factor in the discounted price.

It appears to be a good value, especially for older cruisers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Babr said:

In order to book travel and insurance one must be a member.

I looked a little further and tried to do a mock purchase.  Yes indeed, you must be a member and you have to purchase your trip through them.  

Also, I missed the rental car coverage is an optional add on.  The price is reasonable, but you must pay for it if you want it.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

It appears to be a good value, especially for older cruisers. 

I agree from everything I have seen it is a good value for older cruisers who purchased their trip through the big box store.  It is also appears to be a good value for anyone who wants the 50% CFAR coverage or who sees benefit in the hospital of choice for medical evacuation.   I am still not sure that I have not overlooked something.  If not, I am very impressed with the coverage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So....an update on my post! I called Covermore today (Costco's partner) and they confirmed that their policy through Costco does not take age into account. So that is why it is a very good bargain for "mature" folks when compared to private travel insurance quotes (which do consider age). PLUS it is much better coverage than that typically offered by the cruise lines themselves (we always opted to get our own policy for additional coverage vs. the cruise policy). For older folks this could save hundreds of dollars which would easily cover the cost of a Costco membership. You do need to book your trip through Costco Travel in order to get their travel insurance. It seems to be too good to be true, but after doing some research it is comparable to the same travel insurance you would be paying hundreds of dollars for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I found this discussion of Costco insurance. We booked trip through Costco and are members but never looked into its trip insurance until seeing this. Thanks posters. We Called and the insurance is primary and they answered several of our questions. Insurance buying is not fun.  They did verify that we booked cruise through Costco. We’re going to buy it-
quite a savings.  Hopefully we never use it. Happy cruising all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am very happy to have found this thread. I just spoke to Covermore as well a they do have a policy just for Costco members who have booked through another agency (not Costco). The price is a little higher and some of the parameters change slightly ...they also do ask the age of the travelers...only if the cruise was booked elsewhere. if the cruise was booked through Costco, no age needed to report.

Still a much better deal than some other company policies.

On 5/31/2023 at 12:48 PM, pmjnh said:

I am very happy to have found this thread. I just spoke to Covermore as well a they do have a policy just for Costco members who have booked through another agency (not Costco). The price is a little higher and some of the parameters change slightly ...they also do ask the age of the travelers...only if the cruise was booked elsewhere. if the cruise was booked through Costco, no age needed to report.

Still a much better deal than some other company policies.

How did you book it if you don't have your trip booked through Costco? Is it only over the phone? I'd love to know their quote for our trip.

21 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

How did you book it if you don't have your trip booked through Costco? Is it only over the phone? I'd love to know their quote for our trip.

Hi Cindy,

yes, you have to call  them direct for the quote if the trip was not booked through Costco. They have 2 insurance programs, one for trips booked thoughnCostco and another for trips that you have booked elsewhere. Slight price difference slight difference inbenefit amount but still a better deal than any others I have found. 
the phone number is listed in the Costco travel website unter "travel insurance".

good luck

1 minute ago, pmjnh said:

Hi Cindy,

yes, you have to call  them direct for the quote if the trip was not booked through Costco. They have 2 insurance programs, one for trips booked thoughnCostco and another for trips that you have booked elsewhere. Slight price difference slight difference inbenefit amount but still a better deal than any others I have found. 
the phone number is listed in the Costco travel website unter "travel insurance".

good luck

Thanks! We have a Viking cruise for next year, so looking at insurance for the first time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pmjnh said:

They have 2 insurance programs, one for trips booked though Costco and another for trips that you have booked elsewhere. Slight price difference slight difference in benefit amount but still a better deal than any others I have found. 

What are the slight differences in benefits?  Is it only amounts or is it different coverages/terms? Have you found a sample policy online that you can link to?

When I read the original sample policy, some of the attractive features to me included:

• Great price and not age dependent
  • Medical evacuation is to a hospital of your choice
  • 50% Cancel For Any Reason benefit 
  • Primary medical coverage
  • Waiver of pre-existing conditions if purchased within 21 days of initial trip deposit

I am curious if all of these items remain the same on the other version of the policy except for the no age dependent premium.

3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

What are the slight differences in benefits?  Is it only amounts or is it different coverages/terms? Have you found a sample policy online that you can link to?

When I read the original sample policy, some of the attractive features to me included:

• Great price and not age dependent
  • Medical evacuation is to a hospital of your choice
  • 50% Cancel For Any Reason benefit 
  • Primary medical coverage

I am curious if all of these items remain the same on the other version of the policy except for the no age dependent premium.

Based on our ages...and the cruise was purchased from another TA

Trip Cancellation 100% of Trip Cost
Trip Interruption 150% of Trip Cost
Travel Delay $2,000 ($500/day)
Missed Connection – Air & Cruise $1,500
Baggage & Personal Effects $3,000
Baggage Delay $200
Emergency Medical Expense $200,000
Emergency Dental Expense $1,000
Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation $500,000
Common Carrier AD&D $50,000
Travel Assistance Services Included

Edited by pmjnh

On 6/4/2023 at 12:36 PM, pmjnh said:

Trip Cancellation 100% of Trip Cost
Trip Interruption 150% of Trip Cost
Travel Delay $2,000 ($500/day)
Missed Connection – Air & Cruise $1,500
Baggage & Personal Effects $3,000
Baggage Delay $200
Emergency Medical Expense $200,000
Emergency Dental Expense $1,000
Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation $500,000
Common Carrier AD&D $50,000
Travel Assistance Services Included

Thanks for posting the summary of the plan you were able to purchase.  It looks like all of the amounts are identical to those in the plan you get if you purchased the trip through the big box store.  The only difference I see is $500K vs $1 million in emergency evacuation.  For all practical purposes there is no difference, as $500K is more than adequate in virtually any scenario.

The devil is still always in the details. Does your plan provide:

1. Medical evacuation to a hospital of your choice
  2. 50% Cancel For Any Reason benefit 
  3. Primary medical coverage
  4. Waiver of pre-existing conditions if purchased within 21 days of initial trip deposit

If so, and the premium is reasonable for your age bracket, it still seems like an excellent plan.

On 6/5/2023 at 5:07 PM, Jersey42 said:

Thanks for posting the summary of the plan you were able to purchase.  It looks like all of the amounts are identical to those in the plan you get if you purchased the trip through the big box store.  The only difference I see is $500K vs $1 million in emergency evacuation.  For all practical purposes there is no difference, as $500K is more than adequate in virtually any scenario.

4. Waiver of pre-existing conditions if purchased within 21 days of initial trip deposit

If so, and the premium is reasonable for your age bracket, it still seems like an excellent plan.

Excellent except for those of us who live in NY...not available here.

4 minutes ago, edgee said:

Excellent except for those of us who live in NY...not available here.

Most likely because of the Cancel For Any Reason component.  NY does not allow this kind of coverage.

2 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Most likely because of the Cancel For Any Reason component.  NY does not allow this kind of coverage.

Probably correct. CFAR and annual travel policies are both prohibited here...frustrating!

On 6/5/2023 at 2:07 PM, Jersey42 said:

I spoke with Cover-More today and they did say that the policy they issue when you purchased your vacation though someone other then Costco, excludes the Cancel For Any Reason, and the Evacuation is reduced to $500,000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, HBDave said:

I spoke with Cover-More today and they did say that the policy they issue when you purchased your vacation though someone other then Costco, excludes the Cancel For Any Reason, and the Evacuation is reduced to $500,000.

Good to know...thank you for sharing

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 6:27 PM, pmjnh said:

Hi Cindy,

good luck

Really appreciate this info. I spoke with CoverMore this morning about a 7 person family cruise. Regent’s cost is $5848, Costco $2759, or $2123 if ANY part of the trip is booked through them. So, even though my cruise is booked through an outside TA, I can book one of the hotels through Costco & get the lower price.

Another interesting wrinkle is that the other adults in my group need to be Costco members to get full coverage. If not, I can purchase a single policy for the same price & my family members will be covered for cancellation & medical, but not trip delay or luggage loss.

On 6/30/2023 at 11:55 PM, Vertygo said:

Really appreciate this info. I spoke with CoverMore this morning about a 7 person family cruise. Regent’s cost is $5848, Costco $2759, or $2123 if ANY part of the trip is booked through them. So, even though my cruise is booked through an outside TA, I can book one of the hotels through Costco & get the lower price.

Another interesting wrinkle is that the other adults in my group need to be Costco members to get full coverage. If not, I can purchase a single policy for the same price & my family members will be covered for cancellation & medical, but not trip delay or luggage loss.

I am happy it is working  out for you. 

I hope that none of us ever need to use this insurance!! Although I do have my favorite TA from elsewhere, we will consider using Costco for booking in the future for the added benefits.

• Like 1

Not a cruise but a trip for five to Hawaii for 18 days.  The fine print says Costco membership and a booking number.  We booked several rental cars via Costco and that number worked. . There is no age inquiry, coverage was good and the price was excellent. I purchased it today. My only concern is the lack of reviews from the United States.  The ones I found regarding claims were from Australia and other countries and most were not positive. I’m now second guessing myself and considering cancelling the policy.