Shore excursions - changes since 2018

5 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Was the free plant part of the marketing campaign?  If so, then you "paid" for it, right?

In all honesty, "free" vs "included" are simply marketing tools.

But since you said "It is absolutely different," what "absolute difference" does it make?

The free flats wre set out near the entrance. Absolutely not part of any special sale. Just a pleasant surprise..

Nothing is free. 
Several items are pointed  out as included in your fare. e.g. gratuities and excursions.

I accept ports cancelled or changed due to weather or operational reasons. Same w tours

e.g. our helicopter ride onto an iceberg, cancelled due to weather.

Since we are already paying for excursions, I find it quite annoying when few are available/ open

or when they are cancelled without explanation and without a substitute offering. Regent offers no refund for fare paid for these excursions. Imagine if they stopped serving dinner etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t like the use of the term free for 2 reasons:

1. We all know that nothing that Any cruise line  provides is free. It’s always baked into the rate. 
2. And this is more important for this discussion, a few people have indirectly or directly used the excuse that a specific service, in this discussion shore excursions, that we shouldn’t care if cancelled and/or if no other alternatives are available because they are free and we aren’t out anything. Really? What’s the difference? A lot for the people who value the destination as much as the ship itself. 

On 5/4/2023 at 1:43 PM, seasickphil said:

Regent do have to compete with other cruise lines for providing excursions but the non Regent cruises i have taken post Covid no excursions that you have to pay for have been cancelled, not seemingly like Regent who according to other threads are cancelling with very short notice of cruise date. So if other cruise lines are not cancelling excursions (or are they?) why are Regent having to?.

Seabourn is supposed to be 6star line but umpteen excursions on the 69 day Grand Pacific were cancelled with just 36 hours notice and nothing to replace them when you had booked them and used a massive OBC to pay for them at start of 69 days it became a huge issue since there was nothing ekse to use OBC on 

Hence the reason, I’m going back to land based trips.  I travel to see and experience the port.   The ship gets me there.  If they cancel the ports, excursions or reduce the time Im not getting what I expected and paid for!   You other folks can enjoy a good float in the water for a lot of money.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, seasickphil said:

papaflamingo

Everything else is FREE!  Including excursions, dining, drinks, toilet paper, laundry, crew members, pool towels, deck chair.

Seriously? are you really saying that if you did not receive any food, drinks, & excursions you would still be willing to pay thousands for the cruise. Personally i do not think there would many, if any who would follow you on this one, we will have to see won't we.

Did you really completely miss my point?  Really?  😏

9 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Hence the reason, I’m going back to land based trips.  I travel to see and experience the port.   The ship gets me there.  If they cancel the ports, excursions or reduce the time Im not getting what I expected and paid for!   You other folks can enjoy a good float in the water for a lot of money.  

You are making wise choice. Cruising is not for everyone.  I, on the other hand, will enjoy the substitute port or the extra day of relaxation on the ship.  To each his own.  

15 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

I don’t like the use of the term free for 2 reasons:

1. We all know that nothing that Any cruise line  provides is free. It’s always baked into the rate. 
2. And this is more important for this discussion, a few people have indirectly or directly used the excuse that a specific service, in this discussion shore excursions, that we shouldn’t care if cancelled and/or if no other alternatives are available because they are free and we aren’t out anything. Really? What’s the difference? A lot for the people who value the destination as much as the ship itself. 

No one said "that we shouldn’t care if cancelled and/or if no other alternatives are available," most of us said it happens on ALL cruise lines and is part of cruising.

As " What’s the difference?"  I asked what difference does it make whether the term "FREE" is used or the term "INCLUDED" is used.  HOW does a word make ANY difference to ANYBODY?  

Everyone who chooses to cruise knows that ports and excursions can be cancelled or changed.  If s single port is a deal breaker, then a visit by land is a better idea.  

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

Must have done, are you now saying shore excursions are not free?

No.  Here is the quote from my post #18:

"Regent charges a flat fee based on cabin selection.  The only add ons are Flights, hotel rooms, spa services, and Regent Choice excursions.  Everything else is FREE!  Including excursions, dining, drinks, toilet paper, laundry, crew members, pool towels, deck chairs.  You pay for none of those things whether you use them or not. So they're FREE."

Just like toilet paper or towels, they're supplied by the cruise line FREE of any additional charge.

Edited by papaflamingo

From a legal, health and sanitation standpoint, I'm quite sure that a ship would not be allowed to sail without toilet paper, towels and  available food and also qualified crew to run the ship. For some people the idea of an upscale floating retirement home may sound appealing but what if besides the scale back of free or included excursions and lots of missed ports. the availability of booze and gourmet food and other onboard expected free items disappeared? Would that still be workable for many? I think not. People buy in to the whole advertised package and assume that they can pick and choose the amenities that are relevant for them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

No.  Here is the quote from my post #18:

"Regent charges a flat fee based on cabin selection.  The only add ons are Flights, hotel rooms, spa services, and Regent Choice excursions.  Everything else is FREE!  Including excursions, dining, drinks, toilet paper, laundry, crew members, pool towels, deck chairs.  You pay for none of those things whether you use them or not. So they're FREE."

Just like toilet paper or towels, they're supplied by the cruise line FREE of any additional charge.

We have had this discussion on angela miller's thread.

First time I have had a tour canceled nine days before cruise

Here in the UK we have different t&c's and as i said in post 42 of that thread they are not classed as free but are included like flights are.

When i had Norovirus on my last cruise (on Voyager) i was given paperwork regarding my 4 missed shore excursions because of having to isolate in my suite, enabling me to claim back $1200 ($150 x 2 for each included excursion) not from Regent but on my Travel Insurance.

Now i was told that all included excursions had a value ($150), as i said earlier t&c's are different in the UK but was led to believe that those costs would be the same if i was from USA/Canada.

Now us and others have said much about this, and i think it is 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other as they say, but i have always believed that very few things are free in life and i certainly don't think cruising is one of them, my bank balance seems to back that up.

1 minute ago, seasickphil said:

We have had this discussion on angela miller's thread.

First time I have had a tour canceled nine days before cruise

Here in the UK we have different t&c's and as i said in post 42 of that thread they are not classed as free but are included like flights are.

When i had Norovirus on my last cruise (on Voyager) i was given paperwork regarding my 4 missed shore excursions because of having to isolate in my suite, enabling me to claim back $1200 ($150 x 2 for each included excursion) not from Regent but on my Travel Insurance.

Now i was told that all included excursions had a value ($150), as i said earlier t&c's are different in the UK but was led to believe that those costs would be the same if i was from USA/Canada.

Now us and others have said much about this, and i think it is 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other as they say, but i have always believed that very few things are free in life and i certainly don't think cruising is one of them, my bank balance seems to back that up.

Honestly, free or included are merely semantics.  My real point was that in the U.S. Regent provides a single price for the cruise BUT allows a credit if you choose to not use Regent air or the pre-cruise hotel.  Everything else is simply part of the cruise price, use them or not.  The seemingly never ending discussion regarding "free" vs. "included" seems to be from people who want monetary reimbursement for a missed excursion.  The nitpicking argument that excursions "aren't really free, we pay for them" is the same as saying "toilet paper isn't free, we pay for it."  The bottom line is that Regent's business model has a single charge for everything except spa, flights, and hotels.  Doesn't make any difference as to whether they call it "free" or "included," it's all part of the price,  As for the $150 value if excursions, there is nowhere that I'm aware of that states that.  In all the listing of excursions for a cruise, the non Regent Choice show in price "FREE."  

• Haha 1

Papaflamingo, your "logic" is "illogical".  If you bought 3 items as a package online and only received 2, would you not expect to be compensated for the missing item, although you didn't pay "extra" for it.  The items were bought, not free.  What if Regent decided that they would not serve food while a ship was in port and everyone had to eat on their own in port.  Would it be wrong to consider some compensation for this, unless it was due to an accident beyond Regent's control.  Nothing is free on these cruises, all the items are bought.  Obviously, one would not expect to everything to be perfect but major lapses should be addressed by Regent.  Even if you don't agree with this, please respect other's opinions on the subject.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Honestly, free or included are merely semantics.  My real point was that in the U.S. Regent provides a single price for the cruise BUT allows a credit if you choose to not use Regent air or the pre-cruise hotel.  Everything else is simply part of the cruise price, use them or not.  The seemingly never ending discussion regarding "free" vs. "included" seems to be from people who want monetary reimbursement for a missed excursion.  The nitpicking argument that excursions "aren't really free, we pay for them" is the same as saying "toilet paper isn't free, we pay for it."  The bottom line is that Regent's business model has a single charge for everything except spa, flights, and hotels.  Doesn't make any difference as to whether they call it "free" or "included," it's all part of the price,  As for the $150 value if excursions, there is nowhere that I'm aware of that states that.  In all the listing of excursions for a cruise, the non Regent Choice show in price "FREE."  

As for the $150 value if excursions, there is nowhere that I'm aware of that states that.  In all the listing of excursions for a cruise, the non Regent Choice show in price "FREE."  

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I told you (post 38 ) that the Executive Concierge gave me paperwork for me to claim on my travel insurance for my 4 missed shore excursions @ $150 each tour x 2. If they did not have a monetary value of $1200 do you REALLY think he would on behalf of Regent give me paperwork to allow me to make a fraudulent insurance claim. My claim was paid in full, so do you really think i would have got that if the excursions were free.

Why are you so unwilling to except that, it actually happened to me, it is not hearsay but fact. I sincerely wished i didn't get Norovirus and that my wife and i could have indeed taken and enjoyed the shore excursions. You must make of this as you will as i can't make myself any clearer, this is last thing i will say on the matter (hooray everyone is saying) so i really do hope you have nice day, but for me after all this i think i need to go and have lie down in a darkened room.🤣 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seasickphil said:

As for the $150 value if excursions, there is nowhere that I'm aware of that states that.  In all the listing of excursions for a cruise, the non Regent Choice show in price "FREE."  

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I told you (post 38 ) that the Executive Concierge gave me paperwork for me to claim on my travel insurance for my 4 missed shore excursions @ $150 each tour x 2. If they did not have a monetary value of $1200 do you REALLY think he would on behalf of Regent give me paperwork to allow me to make a fraudulent insurance claim. My claim was paid in full, so do you really think i would have got that if the excursions were free.

Why are you so unwilling to except that, it actually happened to me, it is not hearsay but fact. I sincerely wished i didn't get Norovirus and that my wife and i could have indeed taken and enjoyed the shore excursions. You must make of this as you will as i can't make myself any clearer, this is last thing i will say on the matter (hooray everyone is saying) so i really do hope you have nice day, but for me after all this i think i need to go and have lie down in a darkened room.🤣 🤣

Sorry, missed that part.  I'm not unwilling to accept anything. Just missed it. I do that sometimes.  

Yeah....time to let this one go. 😎

• Like 1

If the dinning room runs out of a dish you had your heart set on one night do you ask for cash/credit back for that meal? If your mixer or liquor or beer is not available do you ask/expect cash/credit back? The point is, if we choose to cruise with Regent and their business model, we willing pay a set charge for the Regent package which includes port stops(though no certain port is a guarantee), some tours and drinks at no extra cost plus room and board and standard health and safety standards. It also includes air and at a certain Suite level a free precruise night that we can opt out of for a credit. Though the credit is often less than what we actually would have to pay buying air and hotel ourselves.

Things happen king crab legs are not available, ports change, tours are a canceled, the dinning room run out of the nights special, but Regent model does not give credit for this. If we decline the air or hotel they do. 

“Free or included” it makes no difference if we cruise with Regent we accept they method of business. Personally we have liked their product for 12 years (-250days) with 179 booked. Canceled ports, canceled tours, unavailable tours, misses on a dish or service because it just happens! For the money we have found Regent the best product sailing for us. Though as they say “your mileage may vary, there are a lot of other choices out there”. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seasickphil said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

At least in the past in the US, when we sign up for a tour online, it list the retail value as “x”….$99, $124 or maybe even $169, then your cost “free”. Then if there is a charge they list the retail cost and the your cost what ever that is. This had not changed when we picked our tours for the Dec cruises. But things are handled differently in the UK sometimes. This causes sone confusion at times.

sorry noro messed up you cruise. That is no fun.

• Thanks 1

CWN, the difference in excursions vs the other examples you gave, is that at least with recent posts, an excursion is cancelled and there are no other options available because they are all booked. This is true especially for last minute cancellations. It feels like this is happening a lot more often vs historical norms. If a restaurant onboard runs out of that steak you were wanting, or that specific vodka you were wanting, etc., you have options to choose something else. From what I am reading in these threads, excursions are being cancelled and there are no options available to them. That’s when it seems to be a bit different from the other examples you gave. 

42 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

CWN, the difference in excursions vs the other examples you gave, is that at least with recent posts, an excursion is cancelled and there are no other options available because they are all booked. This is true especially for last minute cancellations. It feels like this is happening a lot more often vs historical norms. If a restaurant onboard runs out of that steak you were wanting, or that specific vodka you were wanting, etc., you have options to choose something else. From what I am reading in these threads, excursions are being cancelled and there are no options available to them. That’s when it seems to be a bit different from the other examples you gave. 

I don’t have any real numbers just my experiences over 12 years, but the fact is this is the Regent package. Since Regent doesn’t guarantee us a tour in every port in the first place if the tour we do pick is canceled for any reason and there is nothing else open, we go to theater the day of the canceled tour and see if something we like opens up due to no shows. This happens many times on many tours or we find something to do on our own. We accept that a tour of our choice in very port is not a guarantee of the package we bought from Regent.

Before COVID, ports were missed and tours canceled on many of the cruises we took. The three cruises since Covid we had two ports canceled and one tour canceled after sailing with no replacement tour open. It seems to be on a par with our experience before Covid. Cancelations happen for all kinds of reasons. You should not cruising if the tours and the ports are the most important aspect of cruising for you. You stand a chance to being disappointed because unexpected things can and do happen with  cruising.

3 hours ago, cwn said:

At least in the past in the US, when we sign up for a tour online, it list the retail value as “x”….$99, $124 or maybe even $169, then your cost “free”. Then if there is a charge they list the retail cost and the your cost what ever that is. This had not changed when we picked our tours for the Dec cruises. But things are handled differently in the UK sometimes. This causes sone confusion at times.

sorry noro messed up you cruise. That is no fun.

At least in the past in the US, when we sign up for a tour online, it list the retail value as “x”….$99, $124 or maybe even $169, then your cost “free”. Then if there is a charge they list the retail cost and the your cost what ever that is

It is the same in the UK, different prices displayed for for each of the tours available in each port. l suppose they just round that figure up to the $150 if a claim has to be made on travel insurance.

26 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

At least in the past in the US, when we sign up for a tour online, it list the retail value as “x”….$99, $124 or maybe even $169, then your cost “free”. Then if there is a charge they list the retail cost and the your cost what ever that is

It is the same in the UK, different prices displayed for for each of the tours available in each port. l suppose they just round that figure up to the $150 if a claim has to be made on travel insurance.

Interesting . Never had to make any kind of claim, thankfully. It makes sense though, at least easy for Regent personal since there are 100s and 100s of Regent tours  at any given time.

11 hours ago, cwn said:

You should not cruising if the tours and the ports are the most important aspect of cruising for you. You stand a chance to being disappointed because unexpected things can and do happen with  cruising.

I understand that stuff happens and I accept the risk of things not going as planned, no matter if it’s a cruise or any land based vacation. I know if Regent decides to cancel an excursion, I can’t do anything about it. If they can’t offer an alternative excursion then I will pivot and make the best of it. If that keeps happening, then yes I will probably look elsewhere, especially if they can’t/won’t give me an explanation. I’m moving on with regards to this topic. There are obviously varying opinions on how Regent handles these situations and at this point, we can only agree to disagree. 

I do agree with you on this.

3 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

I understand that stuff happens and I accept the risk of things not going as planned, no matter if it’s a cruise or any land based vacation. I know if Regent decides to cancel an excursion, I can’t do anything about it. If they can’t offer an alternative excursion then I will pivot and make the best of it. If that keeps happening, then yes I will probably look elsewhere, especially if they can’t/won’t give me an explanation. I’m moving on with regards to this topic. There are obviously varying opinions on how Regent handles these situations and at this point, we can only agree to disagree.