The ultimate misnomer “Articial Intelligence”

Orianababes

I have spent much time over the last two days trying to order a birthday cake for a forthcoming cruise. I cannot order it on board as the chefs require more notice than we can provide when we board - needed for about 12 hours after we board.

P&O have installed an artificial intelligence answering system which does not recognise Cake or Celebration Cake or Birthday Cake. The system has been in place a little while I understand so I would have expected it to already know the products advertised on the website.

Eventually AI puts you through to someone who can help you - but despite holding on for ages no one answers

An American system which is not up to the purpose or it has not been set up in conjunction with P&O or its website. 

Bottom line is that too few staff are employed. Well another sale missed, however small!

37 minutes ago, Orianababes said:

I have spent much time over the last two days trying to order a birthday cake for a forthcoming cruise. I cannot order it on board as the chefs require more notice than we can provide when we board - needed for about 12 hours after we board.

P&O have installed an artificial intelligence answering system which does not recognise Cake or Celebration Cake or Birthday Cake. The system has been in place a little while I understand so I would have expected it to already know the products advertised on the website.

Eventually AI puts you through to someone who can help you - but despite holding on for ages no one answers

An American system which is not up to the purpose or it has not been set up in conjunction with P&O or its website. 

Bottom line is that too few staff are employed. Well another sale missed, however small!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

• Haha 3

It's simple voice recognition - not AI at all.  The term AI is misused consistently in the media and elsewhere but there is very little AI in the world (or natural intelligence for that matter!).  Even the much publicised ChatGPT which is supposed to take over the world and make everyone redundant is mostly knowledge, not intelligence. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Teddy123 said:

It's simple voice recognition - not AI at all.  The term AI is misused consistently in the media and elsewhere but there is very little AI in the world (or natural intelligence for that matter!).  Even the much publicised ChatGPT which is supposed to take over the world and make everyone redundant is mostly knowledge, not intelligence. 

Let's hope your right, knowledge without the intelligence to use it wisely could be disastrous.

1 hour ago, Teddy123 said:

Agree, I used to project manage installations of IVR systems 12 years ago, they have advanced further in intervening years, but if not set up correctly can cause more problems, they are certainly not AI.