Geiranger Excursions

Need some excursion ideas for Geiranger. One in our group cannot kayak. 🙂 We are on Royal Caribbean, port times are 7am - 3pm. 

Here are RCI options. I am thinking of the Mt Dalsnibba Summit but it is just a bus with not a lot of walking, which isn't my favorite. Is the Fjord Center and Scenic Views better option? I know this port is one of the highlights of the itinerary. 

ScreenShot2023-05-06at12_07_31PM.thumb.png.4a4e0684bd8fb72dec281012c6d26c50.png

I would definitely recommend a trip to the viewpoints - a HoHo bus is available.

You sail through the fjord both on arrival in the morning and departure in the evening - be on deck early in the morning when entering the fjords - preferably already at sunrise at 04:30 am

Link to HoHo bus as well as Panorama bus tours.

This is what you'll see from the cruise ship  when entering Geiranger Fjord:

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

I would definitely recommend a trip to the viewpoints - a HoHo bus is available.

You sail through the fjord both on arrival in the morning and departure in the evening - be on deck early in the morning when entering the fjords - preferably already at sunrise at 04:30 am

Link to HoHo bus as well as Panorama bus tours.

This is what you'll see from the cruise ship  when entering Geiranger Fjord:

Perfect, thank you, just want to make sure I am seeing/doing the correct thing 😄 

How much walking are you interested in? It’s possible to hike up to some of the lower viewpoints like Vesteråsfjellet from the cruise port.

But it’s definitely worth getting some of the views from above. The water-level views are great during the sail-in/out, but the perspective above is quite different.

If you’re traveling early in the season, Dalsnibba might still be inaccessible due to snow, and on a cloudy day the viewpoint can be in the cloud layer.

@hallasm

Do all cruise ships go into Geiranger Fjord?  Our Princess itinerary just says "Stavanger,"  and they are offering an overpriced Geiranger Fjord shore excursion.  I was going to book an independent fjord tour, but won't if we will see it from the cruise ship anyway. 

TIA for any info you can share, and sorry to hijack your thread, aubreyc1988.

8 hours ago, Cruisen Elf said:

@hallasm

Do all cruise ships go into Geiranger Fjord?  Our Princess itinerary just says "Stavanger,"  and they are offering an overpriced Geiranger Fjord shore excursion.  I was going to book an independent fjord tour, but won't if we will see it from the cruise ship anyway. 

TIA for any info you can share, and sorry to hijack your thread, aubreyc1988.

I think those two ports are 350 miles apart.  Stavanger is a common port stop, but I’m not aware of how feasible travel is between them. But Hallasm knows Norway a lot better than me and he might be able to figure out what’s going on.  

on a clear day the views in geiranger are truly stunning.  

Edited by kitkat343

8 hours ago, Cruisen Elf said:

Do all cruise ships go into Geiranger Fjord? 

It's very fine to use an existing topic for related questions. 

There are actually only a few of the Norwegian Fjord itineraries that include Geiranger and from 2026 most ships must not sail to Geiranger due to a 'zero Emission Zone’in Geiranger Fjord.

However, I doubt there are excursions from Stavanger to Geiranger as kitkat343 is saying  - it takes 24 hours to cover the stretch both ways by car, so if that is the case there must be an overnight excursion. 

Create a new topic with your itinerary and let us have a look at the possibilities.

Edited by hallasm

6 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I think those two ports are 350 miles apart.  Stavanger is a common port stop, but I’m not aware of how feasible travel is between them. But Hallasm knows Norway a lot better than me and he might be able to figure out what’s going on.  

on a clear day the views in geiranger are truly stunning.  

6 hours ago, hallasm said:

It's very fine to use an existing topic for related questions. 

There are actually only a few of the Norwegian Fjord itineraries that include Geiranger and from 2026 most ships must not sail to Geiranger due to a 'zero Emission Zone’in Geiranger Fjord.

However, I doubt there are excursions from Stavanger to Geiranger as kitkat343 is saying  - it takes 24 hours to cover the stretch both ways by car, so if that is the case there must be an overnight excursion. 

Create a new topic with your itinerary and let us have a look at the possibilities.

You are both right, of course!  We are nowhere near Geiranger Fjord while in Stavanger.  When I took a closer look at my notes and Google maps, I realized my mistake.  The fjord near Stavanger was Lysefjord, not Geiranger Fjord. 

Sorry for the confusion.  🥴

• Thanks 1