Contact for $423 overcharge on our credit card

gotravel

When we returned from our Marina, April 6th cruise, Oceania had charged us an extra $423 over the amount on the ending statement. Any suggestions on who to contact? We contacted Guest Relations by email, but they haven't responded. Should we now contact our credit card company?

52 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

CALL  Oceania  & ask for the accounting  dept

Did you get a final PRINTED  copy of your bill?

52 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

CALL  Oceania  & ask for the accounting  dept

Did you get a final PRINTED  copy of your bill?

Yes we have a final printed copy and we tried calling and emailing the accounting department.

6 minutes ago, gotravel said:

Yes we have a final printed copy and we tried calling and emailing the accounting department.

Maybe one of the phone reps  can connect you to the proper  dept  for issues like this  or  if you have  a TA   get them to help

Hopefully, the final bill you got on the ship (no earlier than the last night prior to disembarkation), was the full details version with each line item specified. 
And, more importantly, did you keep all your receipts during the cruise and balance that statement?

If so, did you happen to do a “book onboard” and then cancel it? If so, some of the BoB perk $ would’ve been taken back by O.

Other than that, the only regular possibility is that some other person’s charges were erroneously posted to your account or you were undercharged for something (like numerous changes in any tour purchases made due to O cancelled tours or loss of the YWYW discount [unusual] when you didn’t replace enough O canceled tours). But, you’d have seen that if you had balanced the account prior to departure.
The only other thing(s) I can think of is your possibly damaging something in your cabin (like using a hanging shoe holder that scarred a door) or smoking in your cabin (for which you’d be charged a cleaning fee, etc.

FWIW: Though rare, we’ve occasionally found errors -primarily in bar charges and/or tour changes. It’s one of the reasons (other than “no surprises”) why I balance our onboard account prior to multi-segment changeover days, prior to disembarkation and at a random time or two during the cruise - particularly when there have been O tour cancellations with my replacements added in ways that may affected O Life or YWYW (which is why it’s so important to have copies of invoices, the “prepurchased shore excursions PDF” and all your receipts for onboard purchases. After all, you don’t need them until you need them.😳

3 hours ago, gotravel said:

When we returned from our Marina, April 6th cruise, Oceania had charged us an extra $423 over the amount on the ending statement. Any suggestions on who to contact? We contacted Guest Relations by email, but they haven't responded. Should we now contact our credit card company?

Yes, contact your credit card company and dispute the charge; there is usually a simple way to do this when you log on to your account (or if it's a local bank/CU go in person)...be sure to have a paper trail. If you don't owe the money this will protect you from having to try to recover it from O. If for some reason you do owe the money, O will still get paid eventually.

48 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Yes, contact your credit card company and dispute the charge; there is usually a simple way to do this when you log on to your account (or if it's a local bank/CU go in person)...be sure to have a paper trail. If you don't owe the money this will protect you from having to try to recover it from O. If for some reason you do owe the money, O will still get paid eventually.

2 of my CC companies require I try resolving the issue with the vendor first before they step in. previouly i would just file with CC and they would resolve.

7 minutes ago, DOJO466 said:

2 of my CC companies require I try resolving the issue with the vendor first before they step in. previouly i would just file with CC and they would resolve.

Unanswered emails and letters are valid documented attempts at resolution.

You might not want to Dispute the Charge unless you've given time for the issue to be resolved...

"If a merchant is in the process of working with you to try to resolve an issue, filing a chargeback is the nuclear option. To the cardholder, it may seem essentially the same as getting a refund, but for the merchant, chargebacks are much more costly and harmful than refunds..."

1 hour ago, ljones said:

You might not want to Dispute the Charge unless you've given time for the issue to be resolved...

"If a merchant is in the process of working with you to try to resolve an issue, filing a chargeback is the nuclear option. To the cardholder, it may seem essentially the same as getting a refund, but for the merchant, chargebacks are much more costly and harmful than refunds..."

It's been a month since the OP's cruise and the charge to the card. He has contacted O with no reply. If the $423 is not paid when due, interest will accrue (on that and more). The OP believes the charge was incorrect. O owes a reply and hasn't given one, so the fact that a chargeback will cost O money is not the OP's problem.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
any->and
  • Like 3

Had a similar issue, very minor, with an X cruise way back.  Card was charged extra.  Called up, after cruise, they said it was for a bottle of water in the cabin.  Never consumed it, but placed it in a cabinet. 

Steward didn't see it, so was added to bill.  X then gave me a card credit immediately. As I said very minor, but it was an error, quickly corrected by guest relations.

I agree, dispute the charge with card company, to protect yourself.  It can always be withdrawn , if O resolves issue to your satisfaction.