Help with location of docking area for Star Legend Bordeaux to Amsterdam or Reverse cruise

Don Viajero

I am booked on the August 24, 2023 Amsterdam to Bordeaux cruise on Windstar Star Legend and am trying to get detailed information on the exact locations of the docking areas for each port of call, i.e how far from city center.  I called Windstar and they said that information is provided with final documents.  I am wondering if any of you who are on the May 14th sailing would be willing to share that information as I assume you have received it? I know there are always last minute changes but getting some idea would be most helpful. I am particularly interest in the locations in Rouen, Lorient, and La Rochelle.  Any information anyone can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

I just booked this itinerary for 2025 (enticed by the current sale for 2025 bookings!) and would love to follow your info. 

It is far away but I'm hoping to be able to get details on doing private tours for this wonderful itinerary!

Currently in Bordeaux. Our location is fantastic. We are about 100 yards down river of  Monument aux Girondins. Hopefully you will get the two nights in town itinerary that we are enjoying. To be able to go into town for dinner instead of rushing back to the ship for a 5 p.m. sail away is figuratively, as well as literally, delicious!

• Thanks 1

So La Rochelle today. The ship berthed a 25 minute complimentary shuttle bus ride to the old port/city. We are berthed at Mole d’escale de la Pallice, which is under the Pont de l’ille de Re. Shuttles every thirty minutes 

Nearpost345 Thank you so much for your information.  I am so excited to have the locations and so far they seem great. Please excuse my not responding sooner. I have been avoiding the heat way in the Pacific Northwest in the Olympic National Forest. 
Beautiful but no internet. Please keep the info coming. I really appreciate it. Any tours you would recommend. Thanks again. 

• Thanks 1

Don, I’m not a fan of tours sorry. Will keep you updated on berthing locations. I can say that after getting to St Malo at 5pm today we will overnite till 4.15 pm  tomorrow, and the ship is offering a tour of mont saint michel at 6.45 a.m. tomorrow friday 19th

Arrived at Pont Gustavo Flaubert , two miles down river from central Rouen on 5/20, free shuttle available if needed. This is another overnite destination and due to our smaller size we are again able to travel way up river to get to this destination. Personally I find the overnighting on this cruise a genius move on Windstars part. Going for a quick lunch in these places versus a leisurely dinner date “in town” is magic.

Nearpost 345 again my thanks for the updates which are so helpful.  Sounds like a fantastic trip.

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems Windstar is either docking right in the heart of things or providing free shuttles for short trips to town- the beauty of a small ship.  Have fun on the rest of your voyage.

Are you leaving the ship in Amsterdam?

Honfleur was our next stop. Very cute little town, a ten minute complimentary shuttle ride to city centre.

After that cam Zeebrugge, were the free shuttle party ground to a halt. Taxi only (they wanted €50 one way) for the 20/30 minute ride into Bruges. May have been an Uber around but we didn’t check. We hopped on a nearby tram and rode to a nearby understated seaside area.

Final stop, Amsterdam, a 20 minute, €20 uber ride to city center.

Don, what you wrote is correct except for Zeebrugge , where you fend for yourself . Overall the cruise was a screaming success. Enjoy!

When  we docked in Zeeburg, we took a train to Bruges and the trains ran every 15-30 minutes, walk to the center from the train station. Pretty town but very touristy which was off putting for us with the exception of the Michelangelo statue in the cathedral,  only Michelangelo statue outside of Italy, also has the distinction of being the most stolen statue in art history. Beautiful statue.  Happy Sailing. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, J18ktleo said:

Yes, we lose a day and two ports😰

If you look at the next cruise (Amsterdam to Edinburgh, I believe), you'll see that it goes back and picks up Zeebruge as the 1st port!  Maddening. 

Think I'll book it anyway. :-)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we are starting our cruise on the legend on Aug 14, 2023 in Cph and doing the b2b thru to Bordeaux. Does any one know of a good shuttle service from where the legend docks to Bordeaux airport. Also if any ones to coordinate some excursions let me know . Have not set up anything yet, regards ek

• 3 weeks later...

Just received final cruise documents for the August 22, 2023 sailing and the stop in Honfleur disappeared.. ...  Sorry to miss it, but Zebrugge/Bruges is still there.  Maybe the travel fairy will 

make it appear again.  Still very excited about this itinerary.  For any of you who are following this 

thread, the price of the cruise dropped significantly. Unfortunately, the airfares are now ridiculous.

C'est la vie!

• 3 weeks later...

We took the Star Legend from Barcelona to Amsterdam this past May.  In most of the ports we either docked near the city center or had free shuttle buses.  St. Malo is a tender port.  The tour to Mount St. Michel is worth the money if you have never been there.  It’s far more convenient and efficient than other options.  We also enjoyed the tour to Santiago de Compostelo.  Lorient was heavily bombed during WWII so there is little of historical interest to see in the city.   Windstar does offer a tour to Vannes, which is a beautiful historic city.  The cruise to and from Rouen along the Seine is scenic, but much of the length is done when it’s dark.

• Like 1