Panafz300 vs. Panafz80

Hello everyone, I have an Alaskan cruise coming up next May and I'm already in quandary about what camera to buy for this trip. I recently sold my DSLR as I'm gearing down on what I have to pack and carry around.

So I'm looking at the Panasonic fz300 or the Panasonic fz80 and I'm torn between the two. I love the zoom and more pixels on the fz80 but the fz300 as weather sealing and better low light capabilities. 

Any suggestions or thoughts on this?  I doubt if I'll get back to Alaska so I want to make the most of my photos, it's a once in a lifetime trip for me. 

Thanks for any info or suggestions!

I think that I would choose the FZ300 for a few features [constant f/2.8 lens, weather sealing, 5 axis stabilization] that the FZ80 does not have.  I think they are more useful than the longer zoom range and notional higher pixel count.

This answer is from the perspective of a FZ-50 user, who occasionally wishes that Panasonic made a true successor to that camera.

Are you fixed on those Panasonics? I guess those might be ok, but I think the best compact superzoom currently on the market is still Sony RX10 IV, which I believe has superior autofocus capabilities in addition to very versatile 24-600 mm equivalent lens. Granted, it might not be the cheapest option nor the smallest one, but still far more compact than an ILC and telephoto lens with comparable reach.

1 hour ago, Hezu said:

Are you fixed on those Panasonics? I guess those might be ok, but I think the best compact superzoom currently on the market is still Sony RX10 IV, which I believe has superior autofocus capabilities in addition to very versatile 24-600 mm equivalent lens. Granted, it might not be the cheapest option nor the smallest one, but still far more compact than an ILC and telephoto lens with comparable reach.

I'm open to other cameras, and one of my first cameras was a Sony. Another feature I would really like to have, though, is an optical viewfinder. So often with my polarized sunglasses on, I can't see the screen and I miss the ovf. Both Panasonic cameras have it. I'll check out the RX10 IV and see if it'll work for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

55 minutes ago, oceanbums said:

I'm open to other cameras, and one of my first cameras was a Sony. Another feature I would really like to have, though, is an optical viewfinder. So often with my polarized sunglasses on, I can't see the screen and I miss the ovf. Both Panasonic cameras have it. I'll check out the RX10 IV and see if it'll work for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

They have eye level viewfinders - but they are electronic, not optical like on a SLR.

What you are looking for is a 'OLED' viewfinder - I think the Sony and all the current FZ's have that.

I have a LCD viewfinder in my Olympus EM1.2 - its large and bright but unusable in some orientations with polarized glasses.

23 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

They have eye level viewfinders - but they are electronic, not optical like on a SLR.

What you are looking for is a 'OLED' viewfinder - I think the Sony and all the current FZ's have that.

I have a LCD viewfinder in my Olympus EM1.2 - its large and bright but unusable in some orientations with polarized glasses.

Thanks for clarifying that for me, knowing the right terminology will definitely help in my search.