Port of Norfolk embarkation.....i have done homework to help all sailing out.

csoud68

Everyone who goes on the magic has to go the the cedar grove lot and either be dropped off or park. Absolutely cannot be dropped off at the terminal. the lot is 3 miles from the terminal.  that is where the porters check your bags and where you get on the shuttle for the terminal. 

You need to park first and roll your bags to the area where the porters and buses are. if someone is handicapped i suggest dropping them off along with the bags first and then going to park.

buses start running at 8..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am glad you started this thread. I will be getting taxi to port - where do we drop off and are there porters there? I heard you can get dropped off by taxi, Uber or limo right at that port. Where have you found it that we have to go to the cedar lot if we arent parking?  What is a good time to request for boarding if you do not want to be there first thing in the morning. I have read some pretty bad reviews about the port. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but if you're not from the Norfolk area and haven't spent much time there, I'd highly recommend building in a couple of extra days before and after your cruise!  There's so much history there and plenty of things to do!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avalon35 said:

I am glad you started this thread. I will be getting taxi to port - where do we drop off and are there porters there? I heard you can get dropped off by taxi, Uber or limo right at that port. Where have you found it that we have to go to the cedar lot if we arent parking?  What is a good time to request for boarding if you do not want to be there first thing in the morning. I have read some pretty bad reviews about the port. 

We took Uber to Port from a hotel and our driver was great although she had to drive beyond Port and do a U-turn and then eventually drive into a semi-circle where she dropped us as well as our luggage, worked great, she said drivers were accustomed to the traffic and directions. Also called for Uber upon disembarkation, worked fine. 
Certainly not our favorite Port and glad we didn’t have to park in garage off-site 

• Thanks 1

I am prepared for an absolute cluster of a day to get on that ship in September.

The only reason I am going on the cruise is it was free and I've never been on a Dream class ship.

The parking lot does not seem to be terribly large judging by Google Maps, has anyone heard of it filling up?

4 hours ago, Avalon35 said:

The Cruise Norfolk website says you have to get dropped off at the parking lot. You didn't read that?

https://nauticus.org/cruise-parking-directions/

25 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I am prepared for an absolute cluster of a day to get on that ship in September.

The only reason I am going on the cruise is it was free and I've never been on a Dream class ship.

The parking lot does not seem to be terribly large judging by Google Maps, has anyone heard of it filling up?

The Cruise Norfolk website says you have to get dropped off at the parking lot. You didn't read that?

https://nauticus.org/cruise-parking-directions/

Other boards say an Uber or taxi can drop you off right at the cruise port. 

Just now, Avalon35 said:

Other boards say an Uber or taxi can drop you off right at the cruise port. 

I am going off what Norfolk themselves has written that all guests are processed at the parking lot then transferred to the terminal via shuttles. If you want to trust somebody on facebook or other boards, be my guest.

There is also a Starbucks across the street from the Port/entrance to Port so you could ask Uber/Taxi to drop you there and you can just walk across street and leave luggage with Porter and head into Entrance to Port.

I personally will be parking so I need to go to the cedar Grove lot..

The official directions say even if dropped off you must go to the parking lot. Whatever works for you. 

I believe nauticus is in a tiny congested area and that is why they direct people to the lot.  

We check in at 10 am with priority boarding so we will arrive at the lot at 830 and expect to be onboard by 11 am.

Edited by csoud68

18 minutes ago, cellfree said:

There is also a Starbucks across the street from the Port/entrance to Port so you could ask Uber/Taxi to drop you there and you can just walk across street and leave luggage with Porter and head into Entrance to Port.

my understanding is they do not have any porters at the entrance to the terminal because everyone is expected to be dropped off at the parking lot.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

my understanding is they do not have any porters at the entrance to the terminal because everyone is expected to be dropped off at the parking lot.

Well this “everyone going to parking lot whether you have a vehicle or not” thing must be new, if it is indeed a thing. We cruised out of Norfolk in October, did Uber thing at embarkation and disembarkation.

• Like 1

I don’t think they’ve started cruising out of Norfolk this year yet so it’s all conjecture at this point other than what’s on their official pages. Changes needed to be made from what happened last year. 

I cruised from Norfolk last year on the Magic and will be on the first cruise from there this year on Sunday.  You can absolutely be dropped off at the port.  It does get very congested near the port so I always get my ride to drop me off across the street at the World Trade Center or at one of the hotels on Main Street (Marriott or Hilton).  There will be porters at the terminal to take your luggage.  Everyone should be aware that you have to either climb steps or take the elevator to reach the terminal and pack accordingly.  The line for the elevator can get quite long.

Most of all, keep in mind that Norfolk is not a full time cruise port.  The terminal is located in the very busy downtown area and traffic gets a bit crazy.  Pack your patience and graciousness and remember you are on vacation!

• Like 4

WendyVF, expressed this yesterday, glad you affirmed what I posted. We cruised in October and as I said we Ubered right to cruise port, luggage and all, where we were greeted by porters. We found everyone was waiting for elevators and workers had the stairs roped off but when we asked if we could take them we were told we could. Sometimes necessary to ask questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in Norfolk and have an acquaintance who works at the cruise port.  If you are getting dropped off by Uber or whoever you may pull up to the port and porters will take your luggage.  You can also drop off your luggage and then park. There will also be a ride share drop off point at the pier.

You may wish to be dropped off on Main Street before you get to the pier, in front of The Main hotel or adjacent to.  Or on the opposite side of the street of the pier.  You can then avoid most of the traffic.

we usually get dropped off at the pagoda which is a pleasant 5 minute walk along the waterfront and past the USS Wisconsin to the pier.  

happy cruising! Waiting for my October cruise to 🇨🇦 

• Like 2

We are at the cedar point lot. It doesn't open until 9:45..

Our carnival boarding time is at 10...this lot should open much earlier...

No way you can park, catch a bus, arrive at the terminal and be up there in 15 min...

Edited by csoud68

1 hour ago, csoud68 said:

We are at the cedar point lot. It doesn't open until 9:45..

Our carnival boarding time is at 10...this lot should open much earlier...

No way you can park, catch a bus, arrive at the terminal and be up there in 15 min...

That is not your boarding time. That is your port arrival appointment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my cruise and wanted to let everyone know there was no problem walking up to the port or getting dropped off.  They've done a lot of work since last year.  It was extremely well organized and painless.

• Like 2

We were also on the 5/14 cruise.  We took an Uber to the Hilton and walked one block to the terminal, where we gave our bags to the porters there to do exactly that.

Please save yourself some trouble and if not parking, do not go to Cedar Grove, there really is no reason to do so.  In fact, it will just clog up the already congested area.

Just as last year, you can get dropped off right at the terminal, there might be some left turns not allowed, but drivers know where to go.

Embarkation/disembarkation was actually smooth sailing, at least at much as any other time.  We did in fact have an Uber pick us up right at the terminal, with no problem, other than some angry traffic-directing police officer yelling at everyone to stay on the bricks!

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, melsmom303 said:

im seriously thinking of taking this magic cruise in october if i stay at the hilton main or waterfront marriott is just walkable to the port

We got dropped off at the Hilton and walked over with luggage, very easy.   

13 hours ago, melsmom303 said:

im seriously thinking of taking this magic cruise in october if i stay at the hilton main or waterfront marriott is just walkable to the port

One big advantage of the downtown ports like Norfolk and Charleston, you can walk from your hotel on embarkation day.

On 6/15/2023 at 8:03 PM, melsmom303 said:

We're staying at the Marriott waterfront in July and it appears we can walk to the port.  I'll definitely report back!