USB Ports in cabins?

MrsPeel55

This maybe a dumb question, I am sure there must be info but I am not sure I am seeing it clear :

are there USB ports in Queen Victoria's cabins? 

I have a USB extension but it needs to be plugged on the wall and they say no electrical?

My daughter was panicking about not being able to take her own hair drier, but sorted it , she says she is bringing a sieve to use in front of the ship's hair drier to diffuse  (we both have big manes!) 

Don't think we will be using the phones much but trying to get a good picture of what we'll need...

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Good Morning Hattie! 

Thanks 🙂

This is what I meant about no electric, in the "what to Pack" area of my Cunard, it reads this:

[quote]The on board electrical systems in your stateroom do not support high-current electronics. We provide lower current hair dryers in all staterooms and irons are available in our laundrettes. Please do not pack your own iron as this will not be permitted on board. 

We also ask that you don’t bring extension leads with you, unless they are accompanying essential medical equipment, such as CPAP and nebuliser machines. These will be checked for electrical safety along with your medical equipment prior to sailing. Surge-protected extension leads are not accepted in any circumstances, as they interfere with the ship's electrical distribution.[/quote]

I guess a usb extension or the lug to charge the phone are not high current? 

I ll take a photo of our USB charger to show you what I mean, will do this when I can access the on my phone

2 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

This maybe a dumb question, I am sure there must be info but I am not sure I am seeing it clear :

are there USB ports in Queen Victoria's cabins? 

I have a USB extension but it needs to be plugged on the wall and they say no electrical?

My daughter was panicking about not being able to take her own hair drier, but sorted it , she says she is bringing a sieve to use in front of the ship's hair drier to diffuse  (we both have big manes!) 

Don't think we will be using the phones much but trying to get a good picture of what we'll need...

Thanks in advance!

I have two Universal travel adapters with 4 USB ports in each, Very handy and no, no actual ports in the cabins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Thanks again, ladies @Host Hattie @Victoria2

another dumb question : we have iPhones, so the USB cable to charge the phone has a plug that one can plug on the wall... I'm assuming those are not high current, therefore we can use them on board?

No questions are dumb and newbies have no idea what's onboard. Yes, one can trawl and trawl through past comments but far quicker to ask. 🙂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr and Mrs A said:

Oh, I thought there was a USB port on the telly.  We were planning on using that to charge his phone.

There is a USB on the television.  Two downsides to using it, however:

1)  The TV is mounted on the bulkhead wall, so there is no shelf or other place to rest a phone or tablet while charging.  If your cord extends all the way to the floor, you could put your device on the floor but then risk stepping on it or tripping over the cord.

2)  The TV USB port is low power (it is really there as a way of viewing content on a USB memory stick although I don't know whether Cunard enables that), so it takes forever to charge a device.  Devices requiring very high power can actually still drain the battery while plugged in, albeit more slowly.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

The simplest way is to just take a normal mains charger and plug it in to the available wall socket in the cabin - that is simple and works fine.

It does, but if two of you have multiple devices to charge, it's more convenient to take a Universal multiple USB adapter.

• Like 2

I have several UK adapters similar to this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08533Q7JM?ref=em_1p_1_ti&ref_=pe_22120521_802557251

We have 30W & 33W output EU phone chargers, which we have suitable UK to EU connections for. A charger hub generally wouldn't charge as fast.

Depending whether the socket configuration in the cabin is standard or upside down you might want to avoid top or bottom sockets. I think that one on Amazon uses 2 x sides and a front. That would let you plug 2 or 3 low wattage chargers in one socket.

• Like 1

I always take one of these type of block adaptors that work fine on Cunard ships.

Found this listing on Amazon which is quite similar (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-TESSAN-Worldwide-International-Countries/dp/B0BNB7F2FJ/)

The one I have connects fine to the US outlets on Cunard ships and mine has four USB connections on the top.  I charge my phone and multiple cameras at the same time (overnight) and have not run into any problems.

DSC_0233.JPG

• Like 1