Train from Anc to Seward cancelled?

littlelulu01

We’re booked on the ncl Spirit May 17 Seward departure. Just received notification from ncl that the train transfer from Anchorage to Seward was cancelled due to snow and they’ve rescheduled us for a bus transfer.  The train website has the early train transfer option available. They have closed for the night and only a few seats left so I booked the 6:45 train. Too close to sailing for a refund from cruise line but we really want the train option.  Does anyone know how common it is for train to switch to bus option?  Just wondering if I just threw away a few hundred extra only to still be put on the bus?  Seems so strange that the train can’t run for ncl due to snow but the early time on same day is still scheduled?  

All trains to Seward for the near future are canceled due to avalanche risk.  We were booked on the 6:45am train today and ended up on the bus.  The track is not open.  Not sure why they keep taking bookings.

5 minutes ago, JennKach said:

All trains to Seward for the near future are canceled due to avalanche risk.  We were booked on the 6:45am train today and ended up on the bus.  The track is not open.  Not sure why they keep taking bookings.

Thank you! I’ll call in the morning and see if I can get a refund. 

3 hours ago, JennKach said:

The track is not open. Not sure why they keep taking bookings.

The reason for the Alaska Railroad to continue taking bookings is that it is a transportation company and many people have a need for transportation. The Alaska Railroad is not limited to providing such transportation by railroad, and indeed its published terms and conditions specifically state: "The Alaska Railroad Corporation reserves the right to cancel, substitute transportation, or alter for any reason, any rail trip or tour itinerary as current conditions, in the Alaska Railroad’s sole opinion, may require." Indeed, the railroad regularly offers bus transportation between Portage and Anchorage, designed for passengers coming from points south on the Glacier Discovery train, and who do not desire the time-consuming train maneuver from Portage to Whittier and back, before proceeding to Anchorage. The railroad charges $105 one-way between Anchorage and Seward ($213 for its first class "GoldStar" service), and so the railroad might be able to make a greater profit by providing substituted transportation. It may seem unfair, but there is no obligation on the part of the railroad to provide any particular means for the transportation it provides. Nonetheless, the railroad should provide at least a partial rebate upon substitution, if only to protect its public reputation. But at its heart, the railroad continues to take bookings because people need transportation. (Take a look at a typical cruise line's terms and conditions and you will find similar, if not more onerous, provisions. For example, the Holland America terms and conditions state: "Except as otherwise provided, Carrier may, for any reason, without prior notice, . . . substitute ships, aircraft or other transportation . . . ." Thus, the cruise line could provide a bus ride between Vancouver and Seward in place of the cruise vessel.)

28 minutes ago, GTJ said:

The reason for the Alaska Railroad to continue taking bookings is that it is a transportation company and many people have a need for transportation. The Alaska Railroad is not limited to providing such transportation by railroad, and indeed its published terms and conditions specifically state: "The Alaska Railroad Corporation reserves the right to cancel, substitute transportation, or alter for any reason, any rail trip or tour itinerary as current conditions, in the Alaska Railroad’s sole opinion, may require." Indeed, the railroad regularly offers bus transportation between Portage and Anchorage, designed for passengers coming from points south on the Glacier Discovery train, and who do not desire the time-consuming train maneuver from Portage to Whittier and back, before proceeding to Anchorage. The railroad charges $105 one-way between Anchorage and Seward ($213 for its first class "GoldStar" service), and so the railroad might be able to make a greater profit by providing substituted transportation. It may seem unfair, but there is no obligation on the part of the railroad to provide any particular means for the transportation it provides. Nonetheless, the railroad should provide at least a partial rebate upon substitution, if only to protect its public reputation. But at its heart, the railroad continues to take bookings because people need transportation. (Take a look at a typical cruise line's terms and conditions and you will find similar, if not more onerous, provisions. For example, the Holland America terms and conditions state: "Except as otherwise provided, Carrier may, for any reason, without prior notice, . . . substitute ships, aircraft or other transportation . . . ." Thus, the cruise line could provide a bus ride between Vancouver and Seward in place of the cruise vessel.)

Very understandable the née to switch but at least put a notification on website if zero train option. We were excited to take the train and spent extra for the opportunity.  Booked directly with the cruise line for the 1pm train and spent considerably more $ than the bus fares. Tonight I received notice from cruise line of the switch to the bus service. I looked at the train company website and there was still 3 seats left on the 6:45 am train. Both the train and cruise companies were closed for the night so was not able to speak to a person. Not wanting to miss the opportunity for a train ride I paid again figuring that despite having to throw away my 1pm bus ticket from cruise line it would be worth it for a train trip. Now I realize I have just spent a few hundred extra to book a 6:45 am bus trip, I’ve also got the 1pm bus ride that I’ll proceed with given the more favorable time.  Just frustrating the train website had no notice that trains aren’t even running. What a waste. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

Spoke with the Alaska Railroad rep who’s refunding me for the bus tickets I purchased on their website.  She thought the train service would start next week.  

at least you got that straightened out!  

*selfishly hoping it will be resolved next week as I am on that train next Wednesday* 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kathscof said:

*selfishly hoping it will be resolved next week as I am on that train next Wednesday* 

Also hoping it is resolved soon as I am on the train from Seward to Anchorage on 5/31

• Like 2

12 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

Very understandable the née to switch but at least put a notification on website if zero train option. We were excited to take the train and spent extra for the opportunity. Booked directly with the cruise line for the 1pm train and spent considerably more $ than the bus fares.* * * Just frustrating the train website had no notice that trains aren’t even running. What a waste. 

I experienced the same type of frustration many years ago, in the early 1990s, with two different railroads in Canada. I had planned long in advance to travel by railroad from Toronto to Cochrane. The portion from Toronto to North Bay was operated by Canadian National, and from North Bay to Cochrane by Ontario Northland, but it was a through train marketed by Ontario Northland and utilizing a set of retired Trans Europ Express cars, complete with compartmental seating. I had been looking forward to this greatly. Imagine my disappointment when, on the morning of departure from Toronto, Ontaio Northland announced that the train would be cancelled between Toronto and North Bay, a distance of 228 miles, and replaced with an Ontario Northland bus. Apparently, it had been planned for Ontario Northland to perform its route periodic maintenance on the cars at its shops in North Bay, and the prior day's southbound train was halted in North Bay to perform that maintenance. The railroad knew about the routing maintenance far in advance, yet sold railroad transportation to me . . . and I was traveling only because of the unique train equipment, not because I had a need to go to Cochrane, and no need to travel aboard the same type of bus that I could travel upon at home. Well, at least I did get a one-half of a train ride, the portion from North Bay to Cochrane, a distance of 254 miles.

On another trip, but around the same time, I had also planned to ride on Via Rail Canada, on the overnight train from Montréal to Senneterre, in a roomette, and continuing past Senneterre by coach to Cochrane (yes, once again). Here, the tracks were not in good enough condition for the passenger train to operate between Senneterre and Cochrane, and this, too, was known far in advance to Via Rail Canada. So the railroad provided a taxi for the 184 mile journey. There were only two passengers, myself and a woman traveling from Senneterre to La Sarre, the latter being about half-way to Cochrane. After we dropped her off in La Sarre, the taxi driver and I made a lunch stop in La Sarre; the entire time the taxi driver was calculating how much money he would be making from Via Rail Canada to make the round-trip journey. Again, I had no reason to travel in an automobile to Cochrane: I was there to ride the train.

Several years later I did ride the Ontario Northland train the full distance in the opposite direction, from Cochrane to Toronto, albeit in standard Canadian coaches rather than the TEE coaches. Alas, both passenger train routes have since been discontinued. While there is discussion within Ontario Northland to reinstate its train, between Toronto and Cochrane, and apparently new cars have been ordered for that service, it seems likely that trains will never again operate between Senneterre and Cochrane. Such a personal disappointment . . . but the railroads were entirely within their legal rights to provide substitute transportation without recompense.

Edited by GTJ
  • Like 1

@GTJ You sound like quite the train buff as was my dad.  He would have been thoroughly disappointed as well.  He and my mom were able to take a trans-Canadian train ride, with stops along the way, before his passing.

• Like 1

Question for those that have done the early train option from Anchorage to Seward.  How easy/challenging is it to get a taxi from the hotel at 5:30am????  That is my only concern.  While 5:00am is pretty darn early to be getting up - given my body will still be on East Coast (Florida) time, I figure it won't feel so bad.  I could switch to the later train directly with the cruise line - but I would like time in Seward to do some exploring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LisaAtlCruiser said:

Question for those that have done the early train option from Anchorage to Seward. How easy/challenging is it to get a taxi from the hotel at 5:30am????

The station is on the north side of downtown Anchorage, and just a short walk from many hotels. I don't like having to rely upon taxis (for the very reason you're implying, among others), and I usually plan on walking if practicable. Might that be an option?

58 minutes ago, GTJ said:

The station is on the north side of downtown Anchorage, and just a short walk from many hotels. I don't like having to rely upon taxis (for the very reason you're implying, among others), and I usually plan on walking if practicable. Might that be an option?

Not really.  I booked a hotel at a great price last October.  The prices have nearly doubled since then so not worth moving to a different hotel.  Will just need to find a taxi.  

On 5/25/2023 at 4:38 PM, LisaAtlCruiser said:

Question for those that have done the early train option from Anchorage to Seward.  How easy/challenging is it to get a taxi from the hotel at 5:30am????  That is my only concern.  While 5:00am is pretty darn early to be getting up - given my body will still be on East Coast (Florida) time, I figure it won't feel so bad.  I could switch to the later train directly with the cruise line - but I would like time in Seward to do some exploring.

Had the same concern. Used the Uber app to reserve in advance.  Locked in a ride leaving 5:30 a.m. from mid town hotel to Alaska RR station for $38.  A little pricy for a couple of miles, but locked in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rch3 said:

Had the same concern. Used the Uber app to reserve in advance.  Locked in a ride leaving 5:30 a.m. from mid town hotel to Alaska RR station for $38.  A little pricy for a couple of miles, but locked in.

Thank you!

On 5/19/2023 at 9:12 PM, olya1972 said:

Any updates on this situation? We are scheduled for next Friday, May 26 th.

Interested as well. We’re scheduled for June 2. Calls to Alaska RR give you the electronic run-around with no human interface.  The best option is to touch “3” which is supposed to provide the anticipated arrival times. When you do that and then select the option for the Anchorage/Seward route, it circles back to the select option message.  Seems kind of ominous for those ticketed in the near future.