Dry Cleaning on Seabourn ships? Or is another process used?

SLSD

I'm getting down to the nitty gritty when it comes to planning/packing for our Seabourn trip in early June.  What is the current status of dry cleaning on the ships?  Ovation in particular.  While we have used the laundry service onboard, we have never sent out an item that was marked "Dry Clean Only".  I seem to remember someone saying that Seabourn has gone to "wet cleaning" or something like it that is more ecologically sound.  I also seem to remember that not all dry clean only clothing can be cleaned with this process.  What is your experience onboard with this kind of issue?  

On a related topic, so many of my clothes are "hang to dry" instead of  being put in a clothes dryer.  That means I may have to do some of my own laundry (which I regret).  Of course all of Mr. SLSD's clothing will go straight to the laundry to let the get SB team take care of them.  

I sent an expensive dress that was dry clean only (a year ago) and it came back fine. On the other hand a pair of shorts and a pair of trousers were ruined in the ordinary laundry bag we sent, I suspect because they dried everything on a high heat and these had lycra in them. In February this year we sent bags of laundry again but I put in huge capitals at the top of the list to please dry everything on low heat. All came back fine. No fried undies! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been wondering the same thing so thank you for posting this. Pulling out clothes starting tomorrow. Leave Monday!

Also, I know Seabourn will press clothes when we board, but for suit jackets will they steam them?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I have been wondering the same thing so thank you for posting this. Pulling out clothes starting tomorrow. Leave Monday!

Also, I know Seabourn will press clothes when we board, but for suit jackets will they steam them?

Sorry - no idea about steaming but someone will know!

1 hour ago, margbem said:

I sent an expensive dress that was dry clean only (a year ago) and it came back fine. On the other hand a pair of shorts and a pair of trousers were ruined in the ordinary laundry bag we sent, I suspect because they dried everything on a high heat and these had lycra in them. In February this year we sent bags of laundry again but I put in huge capitals at the top of the list to please dry everything on low heat. All came back fine. No fried undies! 

Yes this is why I'll be doing my own laundry.  So much of it I don't even put in the dryer on low heat.  I always hang them--otherwise my pants end up too short (even shorter than the darn ankle style pants are supposed to be--and sometimes are on me anyway).  I did order one of my long sleeved knit tops in a larger size so that maybe it COULD go through the laundry.  Thanks for the tip of putting in large letters---LOW HEAT only.  

I also wonder if they separate lights and darks when washing.  

Edited by SLSD

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

I seem to remember someone saying that Seabourn has gone to "wet cleaning" or something like it that is more ecologically sound.  I also seem to remember that not all dry clean only clothing can be cleaned with this process.  What is your experience onboard with this kind of issue?  

This is correct, wet cleaning…was on the ovation a few weeks ago as well as last summer.  I typically had clothes pressed or sent out to the laundry depending on the item.  I was very hesitant on what I dry cleaned.  Best to check with your suite host on items that are not recommended for wet cleaning.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

21 minutes ago, nancygp said:

This is correct, wet cleaning…was on the ovation a few weeks ago as well as last summer.  I typically had clothes pressed or sent out to the laundry depending on the item.  I was very hesitant on what I dry cleaned.  Best to check with your suite host on items that are not recommended for wet cleaning.

Nancy

It is hard to know which items cannot be wet cleaned as their tags say dry clean only.  I just think I won't be risking it.  Since it is a dress I wear for dinner in the evenings, I doubt that I will need to worry about it--as  I will only be wearing it for a few hours on several nights.  As long as I am careful, I should be fine.  

I think womens' clothing as opposed to mens' clothing is so different when it comes to laundering.  My husband 's shirts always go to what we call the "cleaners" here in the US--as do his pants/slacks and jackets.  I do my own laundry at home except for dry clean items.  Some might say--just buy things that can be washed and dried. I say--it is not that easy.  It will all work out--with some effort on my part.  

• Like 1