RCCL messaging on app question

Hello

As a family of 4 going on Wonder of Seas, if everyone has a cell phone and downloads the RCCL app, does everyone need to sign into the app themselves to use the messaging feature?

Meaning do I need to make accounts for everyone (including kids) and they all sign in individually to the app or do I sign in all 4 devices with my login ?

From what I understand, we do not need to signup for an internet plan to use the wifi with the RCCL app, and messaging within the app is free..   Also, it does not work like text messaging where you get an alert, but ratger you have to actually open the app proactively to check your messages.

Thanks for any advice/tips on this

Thanks

7 hours ago, camaro6016 said:

Also, it does not work like text messaging where you get an alert, but rather you have to actually open the app proactively to check your messages.

The notifications seem to vary but you should be able to get them. The app is limited to those over 13.

I never got a notification when I used texting with my daughter.  I had to open the app to see if there were any messages.

When my daughter downloaded the RC app, it immediately connected to our reservation.  I didn't have to login for her.

You don't need to sign up for the Internet plan.

Edited by moposh

19 minutes ago, moposh said:

When my daughter downloaded the RC app, it immediately connected to our reservation.  I didn't have to login for her.

How the hell did it do that?  Surely SOMEWHERE there had to be a login/reservation number for the app to know what to associate with.

• Like 1

You do not need to make log ins for everyone, This is actually how you get around the 13 and over rule. My son was 11, so we couldn't make him an account... we just logged him in with my wifes info and it worked fine, even with her also logged in. You do not  need the internet. It works on the ships free wifi. Notifications are very sporadic... I got a few, but not many. I just checked it every few minutes if I was waiting on my son to answer me. 

Just now, pudy68 said:

Do you download the app before sailing, and enter your reservation number so they can connect you to others in that reservation #?

You install the RCI app - the messaging function is within the app. Once on ship, you follow the steps to connect to the others via the three dots in the upper right.

• Like 1

I kept getting disconnected  from ship wi-fi and many of my messages never sent.  The vroom desk, on deck 4 tried for a bit to help, but they gave up.  I don't know if it was my SIM card as its quirky form an Alaska account, or what, just wanted to share my experience.  So many folks don't have issues, but it was a challenge to keep our group communicating unless wi-fi was purchased. 

1 hour ago, nimbex1970 said:

I kept getting disconnected  from ship wi-fi and many of my messages never sent.  The vroom desk, on deck 4 tried for a bit to help, but they gave up.  I don't know if it was my SIM card as its quirky form an Alaska account, or what, just wanted to share my experience.  So many folks don't have issues, but it was a challenge to keep our group communicating unless wi-fi was purchased. 

Definitely didn't have to do with your sim card because you don't use it to use the hardware (your phone) you have to interact with the ship network.  Unless you had an actual phone that does not work outside of Alaska, that's not it.  

Our last cruise end of Feb into March the app messaging was very hit and miss. We signed the 12 year old in under my log in using my initial and last name instead of first and last name. It worked. 

The WiFi package that we had was just as sporadic, and I visited the WiFi desk several times over the first 5 days. Finally, on day 6 it worked like it was supposed to.  I had to send pdf docs every day. The ship center was kind enough to assist me with sending them until day 6 when things started working correctly.