Is Pott Vila accessible again for cruise ships?

Going to Vila as part of our Carnival cruise leaving on 28th May.  Is Vils allowing ships in again after the cyclones?  If so, can the dock as usual or do you have to get a tender in?

13 hours ago, korky1 said:

Going to Vila as part of our Carnival cruise leaving on 28th May.  Is Vils allowing ships in again after the cyclones?  If so, can the dock as usual or do you have to get a tender in?

I had friends call there on Pacific Adventure a couple of weeks ago. They tendered to a temporary wharf at the back of the markets, the same spot where Claude's water taxi used to operate from. Tendering there would be a bonus, but I don't know how short lived that option is and if the size of Pacific Adventure played a part. I can only be confident that you will be allowed in.

Pacific Encounter is due in Port Vila on Monday, and that will be worth keeping tabs on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Carnival Splendor is currently in the South Pacific, so i will keep tabs on her and see if she does anchor in Port Vila.

Not scheduled for PortVila this run .Screenshot_20230519-051152_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bea6eeff6dd77c89c32c88a0e3abc792.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Carnival Splendor is currently in the South Pacific, so i will keep tabs on her and see if she does anchor in Port Vila.

Splendor's next scheduled Vila call is when korky1 is aboard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Shame that is a paywall article 😞

Interesting. Maybe it is a K1W1 thing. I have no news subscriptions, yet can see the full story.

Dated 15th April, a couple of key comments:

- Cruise ships will anchor in the Port Vila Harbour and passengers will tender to the Seafront seawall (near the main shopping strip)

- At the time of the story, the main wharf was still damaged, and the relevant government official said that it is #1 priority that they get it fixed. (5 weeks on, I don't know if it is fit to be used yet).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Pacific Encounter is anchored in the bay at Port Vila today and using tenders.

If nothing else, it is a pretty bay to tender at.  I'd be interested to know how well the Australian Grand Class ships handle tendering a full-load of passengers.  I've seen You Tubes of Princess ships with queues well over an hour for return to ship

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, reeves35 said:

If nothing else, it is a pretty bay to tender at.  I'd be interested to know how well the Australian Grand Class ships handle tendering a full-load of passengers.  I've seen You Tubes of Princess ships with queues well over an hour for return to ship

The ships are capable, as long as the wharf at the other end is. North Queensland wharves are much better than a spot like Champagne Bay where only 1 tender can pull up on shore at a time. Port Vila is using temporary facilities, so I would say the queues could be long.