satellite radio

brovol

do portable satellite radios work on cabin balconys? i would imagin that as long as there is a clear view to the sky they would work. thinking of taking sirius radio to listen to basketball games durring ncaa's. any thoughts?

I would imagine so long as you can see the right part of the sky, which will change as the ship moves. I'm not sure if there is any type of southerly limit to where the service will reach though.

XM Radio operates on a satellite in geosychronius orbit. This mean the satellite always appears in the same position in the sky. Reception from them should be quite good as long as you have a clear view of the southwestern sky (in the Caribbean)

Sirius Rado used a group of LEO (Low Earth Orbiting) Satellites. The satellites orbit the earth and as one moves out of view another is right behind and will be in view. If you have Sirius you will note that the signal drops once in awhile, and you get the message Aquiring Signal. That is when your receiver is switching from one satellite to another. All this can make reception of Sirius a bit difficult at sea.

Wonder if I could bring my Dish receiver and in-motion dish from my RV on a cruise. Best of luck. Let us know if and how well it works.

Stan

We brought our Sirius radio on the Grand Princess last week. We could not get reception from our Baja deck balcony unless we held it out from the railing. You are in good shape if you are on the Caribe or Dolphin deck. We were able to set the antenna on the balcony edge on the last night of the cruise and got spotty reception. Of course, you can always go up on the open deck and you would probably get good reception. We were really only interested in one game so holding it on the balcony edge worked ok to check the score.

Good luck and have fun!

We were on the Grand in Feb. on the Dolphin deck.I put the antenna from my sporster boombox on the rail of our balcony with Velcro.I'd say we had a signal 80% of the time.The rest of the time I used my mp3 player which plugs into the sporster.We were on the starboard side,If that makes a difference.Good luck.

This subject was posted a while back. The “foot print” from the satellite is aimed towards the landmass, not just the earth as a whole.

If you have satellite radio now, you know that the signal is not from straight above. I would say that if you are on the side of the ship facing the states you should get a signal. That being said, if you’re on the side away from the states, the ship itself will block your signal.

Archived