struggling with choice / can still get deposit back, please help

hello,

I am new to this forum. I just placed a deposit with RSSC for a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Grandeur. I'd been looking at Silversea Nova cruises as well as Explora Journeys. I have a 3 day cancellation policy. I just wish I felt more sure about the decision. It will be me (57F) and my son (18M) traveling. We booked an F1 room as it allows for the bed to be split into two seperate beds. My son is not your typical teenager. He is an old soul and I know he will love it. 

My concern... I am big on sitting by the pool - it is one of my favorite things. I am reading about the issues with pool chair hogs. I also read that they've instituted a new policy with a 30 minute limit - whether that solves the problem or not, who knows? So now I am thinking about feeling stressed about getting a pool chair - holy moly! I know it is a first world problem. 

We did a ton of research and chose Regent because of their reputation for food/drink quality and nice excursions. 

I do like the idea of all the pool areas on Explora Journeys but how do you know when it is an untested brand. What is the food isn't any good? We stepped away from Silversea as we were hoping to travel in January or February and their Caribbean itineraries don't start until early March - but that isn't really a deal breaker. Whereas not getting a pool chair sort of is...

Any advice, or encouragement you can offer?  WWYD?

Simple - send the built in pool boy to go get a couple of seats for you both at 7, tell him to grab book and a  muffin on the way there and you will see him at 9 ish.   I’m assuming you a writing the check!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

omg, yes. I absolutely love Ilona in the south end - it is fairly new. It is sharing / small plates and amazing cocktails. It is across the street from Mida which isn't new but is some of the best Italian food I've had. The chef is one of the top chefs in the country. I had a fantastic dinner at Wood Hill on Pier 4 in the Seaport. They have their own farm up in New Hampshire and grow all the produce as well as raise the animals. Myers and Chang isn't new but it is a perennial favorite. If you are a Bravo Top Chef fan, both Tiffany Faisson and Karen Akunowicz have restaurants. I have been to Karen's Fox and the Knife in Southie - it is fantastic - I love her broccoli caesar. Krasi is fairly new - greek restaurant on Gloucester St. in Back Bay. Delicious!!

We wouldn't let the possibility of chair hogs spoil your plans.  They exist on every cruise line, from the monster ships to the tiny Windstar ships. Changing to Silversea or Explora wouldn't change this possible problem.   At least Regent, which we love (about 125 days, with another 25 scheduled) , has a policy against chair hogging.  I am a redheaded shade lover, and the worst deck chair problem I've ever had on Regent was dragging a chair from in the sun into the shade.  If you love being in the sun, you're unlikely to have a problem. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, indoorsy said:

hello,

I am new to this forum. I just placed a deposit with RSSC for a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Grandeur. I'd been looking at Silversea Nova cruises as well as Explora Journeys. I have a 3 day cancellation policy. I just wish I felt more sure about the decision. It will be me (57F) and my son (18M) traveling. We booked an F1 room as it allows for the bed to be split into two seperate beds. My son is not your typical teenager. He is an old soul and I know he will love it. 

My concern... I am big on sitting by the pool - it is one of my favorite things. I am reading about the issues with pool chair hogs. I also read that they've instituted a new policy with a 30 minute limit - whether that solves the problem or not, who knows? So now I am thinking about feeling stressed about getting a pool chair - holy moly! I know it is a first world problem. 

We did a ton of research and chose Regent because of their reputation for food/drink quality and nice excursions. 

I do like the idea of all the pool areas on Explora Journeys but how do you know when it is an untested brand. What is the food isn't any good? We stepped away from Silversea as we were hoping to travel in January or February and their Caribbean itineraries don't start until early March - but that isn't really a deal breaker. Whereas not getting a pool chair sort of is...

You are seriously over thinking this.  I have been on close to 40 cruises and loved every one of them.  Could I always get a chair by the pool?  Nope.  Did I love every bite of food?  Nope.  But I have a balcony and I'd rather sit there anyway.  I have never "starved" on a cruise (I tend to gain about a pound a day😱).  My advice, don't listen to the "static" on this media or any other social media.  You are hearing the worst case.  Go on the cruise and enjoy it.  Don't over think it. 

• Like 8

If you want to sit by the pool in the sun, you probably will not have a problem getting a lounge chair.  But if you like to sit in the shade, you need to get there early.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 8:14 AM, nfcu said:

If you want to sit by the pool in the sun, you probably will not have a problem getting a lounge chair.  But if you like to sit in the shade, you need to get there early.

This - perfect answer.

On 5/18/2023 at 7:27 PM, indoorsy said:

hello,

I am new to this forum. I just placed a deposit with RSSC for a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Grandeur. I'd been looking at Silversea Nova cruises 

My concern... I am big on sitting by the pool - it is one of my favorite things. I am reading about the issues with pool chair hogs. I also read that they've instituted a new 

I do like the idea of all the pool areas on Explora Journeys but how do you know when it is 

Not long left a Silver Sea cruise and it sure did not compare to Regent ....all cruise lines beds are either a King or 2 singles you choose they deliver  and pool chair hogs are same on all lines ...at least Regent has bought in a policy about unoccupied loungers 

Given the age of your son, old soul included, I suspect that SS  might be a

bit  subdued for him. With a Caribbean itinerary he may be able to choose

excursions w snorkeling or wave runners. Have fun!

I would add that there are plenty of lounge chairs not directly by the pool. I usually choose these If I want to sit and read a book. They are quieter. With some strategic planning, you will be fine. Enjoy your cruise!