Quick question About MDR food

michelle028

Hi everyone, 

Going on a Med cruise in July. Experienced cruiser but 1st time on MSC.

When you order food off the mdr menu do they charge extra if you order say more than 1 appetizer or dessert? 

I was on Royal earlier this year and they were actually encouraging us to try many different appetizers etc.

Let me know, I'm curious!

Which MSC ship are you booked on ?

We are leaving this week for Athens on the MSC Sinfonia.

Looking forward to the MDR but the hours at port makes it tough to make the first seating....

15 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

You can order however many dishes you wish from the menu, no extra charge. 2 appetiser, 2 deserts, whatever you wish to have. 

Sorry to piggyback off of OP's post, but would you happen to know if it's possible to reenter the dining room? For example if I wanted a snack before sitting with the rest of my party at a later dining time.

Also is it even possible for members of the same room to go to dinner at separate times? Or does everyone need to go together?

5 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

Sorry to piggyback off of OP's post, but would you happen to know if it's possible to reenter the dining room? For example if I wanted a snack before sitting with the rest of my party at a later dining time.

Also is it even possible for members of the same room to go to dinner at separate times? Or does everyone need to go together?

If you are a Yacht Club with anytime MDR privileges, then yes.

Otherwise, us peons who have early or late dining times are stuck with one time entry..

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

For a snack you can use the buffet or, depending on the ship, another venue that offers small something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

I don't understand what you mean by reenter the dining room. 

If you have an allocated dining time, i.e. an early or late time, that is assigned for the duration of your cruise and you all need to dine together at that time. The doors are closed 15 minutes after the seating time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I don't understand what you mean by reenter the dining room. 

If you have an allocated dining time, i.e. an early or late time, that is assigned for the duration of your cruise and you all need to dine together at that time. The doors are closed 15 minutes after the seating time. 

Ahh I understand the confusion, I'm sorry, I think I'll have anytime dining so no set seating time. That's good to know about the 15 minute cut off for seating times though, for the future.

My thinking was if I wanted to get a snack at 5:30 PM, then leave the dining room to do something else. Would I be allowed back in the dining room to join the rest of my party who are planning to eat at 8 PM?

21 minutes ago, 4sallypat said:

If you are a Yacht Club with anytime MDR privileges, then yes.

Otherwise, us peons who have early or late dining times are stuck with one time entry..

Nope definitely not Yacht club! 😂 I can see the appeal for some but it's definitely not a good fit for us either.

1 hour ago, skipsaur said:

Ahh I understand the confusion, I'm sorry, I think I'll have anytime dining so no set seating time. That's good to know about the 15 minute cut off for seating times though, for the future.

My thinking was if I wanted to get a snack at 5:30 PM, then leave the dining room to do something else. Would I be allowed back in the dining room to join the rest of my party who are planning to eat at 8 PM?

The Aurea restaurant usually opens at 6.30pm, you could get a snack in the buffet and join your party in the restaurant at 8pm.

I've never heard from passengers who've been to the restaurant at one time to eat and returned again later, so no idea if it's possible. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CruisingFox27 said:

The Aurea restaurant usually opens at 6.30pm, you could get a snack in the buffet and join your party in the restaurant at 8pm.

I've never heard from passengers who've been to the restaurant at one time to eat and returned again later, so no idea if it's possible. 

It does seem buffet would be the easier option. I didn't realize Aurea dining opened later, I just assumed it would start the same time as the earliest 5:30 seating. Thank you for the info!

1 hour ago, skipsaur said:

I guess no one of the millions of MSC guests did this before, but with Aurea it could be possible. But it not makes any sense, just for a snack you need to sit down, wait for the staff to take your order, wait for the food, this can take some time. So probably you will be finished after the rest of your party arrived already😄 

For a snack before dinner the buffet is the much better choice. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

I guess no one of the millions of MSC guests did this before, but with Aurea it could be possible. But it not makes any sense, just for a snack you need to sit down, wait for the staff to take your order, wait for the food, this can take some time. So probably you will be finished after the rest of your party arrived already😄 

For a snack before dinner the buffet is the much better choice. 

Oh dear I hope the dining experience won't be that slow! 😂 But I think you're right anyway, buffet sounds like a better fit for my situation. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

A snack is a snack - why would you want to enter a dining room and expect table dinner service? Dinner is dinner - enjoy it and the service involved.

To each their own. 🙄

9 hours ago, skipsaur said:

Oh dear I hope the dining experience won't be that slow! 😂 But I think you're right anyway, buffet sounds like a better fit for my situation. Thanks!

You're welcome. While dinner now is much faster than it was ten years before (where two hours were the minimum time) depending on the dish you would order as a "snack" I would not be surprised if it takes one hour. Anyway, a slice of pizza or a pasta or salad from the buffet at 6 when you have the second seating is there perfect solution to your needs 🙂

• Like 1