Cruising after major surgery

RN4Nsy

I am having a huge abdominal surgery 7 weeks before a Cruise to Alaska that was canceled for Covid. My Cruising buddy is another nurse. We have insurance on Cruise, flights, I rented a scooter just in case - I have insurance on it too. We are sitting in the front of the plane which will be very helpful and we have direct flights. Any advice? I'm a bit nervous. Frankly if I need chemotherapy I will wait 10 days to start till we get back unless it's an emergency and then of course would need to cancel. Any tips to make life easier are welcomed

I’ll be 8 weeks post gynaecological surgery at the start of our cruise leaving end of this month.  My recovery was not without complications, but I feel I’m ‘nearly’ recovered.  However my surgery was performed laparoscopically and I don’t think I’d have recovered as soon if I’d had an open procedure.  Pathological results were positive and I don’t require any adjunct therapy.

I’m planning in a couple rest days and only doing excursions that involve mild activity.  For the last 2 weeks, I’ve be walking on the treadmill to improve my stamina and nearly up to 1 mile in 20 minutes.

I hope your surgery goes well and that your recovery goes smoothly.

Catherine 

• Like 1

there are so many variables including your overall physical condition and activity level, expected extent of surgical procedure, your current mobility. I would say ask your surgeon if they think you will be fit to travel in 7 weeks. 

On the otherhand, if you are prepared to take it easy and relax the vacation environment may help your mental wellbeing.

22 hours ago, RN4Nsy said:

I am having a huge abdominal surgery 7 weeks before a Cruise to Alaska that was canceled for Covid. My Cruising buddy is another nurse. We have insurance on Cruise, flights, I rented a scooter just in case - I have insurance on it too. We are sitting in the front of the plane which will be very helpful and we have direct flights. Any advice? I'm a bit nervous. Frankly if I need chemotherapy I will wait 10 days to start till we get back unless it's an emergency and then of course would need to cancel. Any tips to make life easier are welcomed

Did you start the insurance before you knew about the need for surgery at that time?  That is, would a cancellation for medical reasons be covered?

If so, then wait to see how you are after surgery, and what your surgeon says as the cruise date approaches.

I've traveled (not only on cruises) after surgery.  Once was when there was a family emergency across the country, and I was told I could go IF I promised that I would not even lift my own purse.  It was difficult, but I went, and I was *very* careful.  I had to travel alone, which made it extra difficult, but I had arranged wheelchair service and other help.

I went on a cruise with a badly torn rotator cuff.  In that case, our insurance would have fully covered a cancellation, but we figured... better to relax on the ship than at home, where meals aren't cooked and served, housecleaning isn't done twice daily, etc.

DH had to help me dress, etc.  I couldn't cut food, so he helped there, too, as did the wait-staff after a short time.

He went on some excursions; I stayed back, except for one port day when we had chartered a small motor boat, and they took us to a gentle beach and then back.  (Even that motion was painful, but again, I was glad we did that.)

We were very glad we went.

So see how you feel and make sure you follow the surgeon's directions.

Hope it all goes smoothly!

GC

5 hours ago, RN4Nsy said:

Thanks. I got the cancelation policy when booked the trip in Dec 2021. I just found out about surgery a couple of days ago.

That's encouraging.

Have you carefully read the policy terms and conditions that refer to pre-existing conditions, and any waivers of exclusions based upon that?

Policies can differ on that.  Some have a look-back period and others require that one start the insurance at least 10-20 days of the *first* trip payment (even if a refundable deposit).  The timing differs because it is state-dependent (states regulate insurance companies).

So the travel insurance may cover it, but perhaps you will be able to travel, which would be the best of all!

Good luck with everything!

GC

Thank you. I will look. I ALWAYS pay the insurance when booking the trip. So much can happen in the interval. I feel hopeful about the trip. My cruising buddy is an experienced cruiser as well. I think resting on my balcony or anywhere is just what the Dr ordered! I live in landlocked Missouri 

• 2 months later...

It's also worth considering to determine if the seatbelt on the plane will be an issue, and possible turbulence while wearing the seatbelt - and you always want to wear the seatbelt on a plane.

Also, as an RN, you are aware that some people heal faster than others, so take into consideration your usual healing and recovery rate.

Go slowly and have an enjoyable cruise.  The sights and sites there are wonderful.

On 5/20/2023 at 4:43 PM, KforKitty said:

I’ll be 8 weeks post gynaecological surgery at the start of our cruise leaving end of this month.  My recovery was not without complications, but I feel I’m ‘nearly’ recovered.  However my surgery was performed laparoscopically and I don’t think I’d have recovered as soon if I’d had an open procedure.  Pathological results were positive and I don’t require any adjunct therapy.

I’m planning in a couple rest days and only doing excursions that involve mild activity.  For the last 2 weeks, I’ve be walking on the treadmill to improve my stamina and nearly up to 1 mile in 20 minutes.

I hope your surgery goes well and that your recovery goes smoothly.

Catherine 

Just to report back that I was fine on our cruise only 8 weeks post surgery and managed to visit/sightsee at all ports (10 over 12 days).  Getting back into full-time work following the cruise was harder.😂

Catherine

• Like 1