Current Alaska Sailings

islandchick

2 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

I'm curious to know what activities/entertainment they offer during our sea days.  It's on my list of topics to look up on the forums.

Tomorrow is a sea day.  So tonight I will get the Viking daily for tomorrow and photograph it for you.  But warning, the internet is spotty, so may take a day or so.  We booked for tomorrow morning a program in the observatory, which only Orion and Jupiter has.  Stay tuned.  Today is raining/snowing in Valdez.  We elected to spend the morning on the ship.  We might go out into town this afternoon.  So this is almost a sea day, and we are spending it pleasantly reading in the Explorers Lounge and going to the gym.  Always lots to do.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Cadodge said:

Somebody posted on a Facebook site that The Restaurant on the Orion is closed for the duration of this sailing. Is this true? 

Of course not!  They served all three meals today. Where do these rumors come from?  

• Like 2

Well, yes.  But LOL, I kept asking what was Alaskan about this meal, and they had no idea.  Just yesterday’s salmon repurposed, and a bit of defrosted and watery seafood.  I wouldn’t get your hopes up over this one.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Well, yes.  But LOL, I kept asking what was Alaskan about this meal, and they had no idea.  Just yesterday’s salmon repurposed, and a bit of defrosted and watery seafood.  I wouldn’t get your hopes up over this one.  

Bummer.  How has the food been otherwise?

8 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

LOL. No reindeer sausage? What about muktuk?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

LOL. No reindeer sausage? What about muktuk?

Nope, although in my mind, that is a good thing.

as to the food.  We all agree on these boards that food is subjective.  But for all the years we’ve been sailing with Viking, we have felt food was their weak point.  Since the pandemic, even things we used to really enjoy, have changed for the worse.  The restaurant this time, well, let’s just say we won’t be back…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Nope, although in my mind, that is a good thing.

as to the food.  We all agree on these boards that food is subjective.  But for all the years we’ve been sailing with Viking, we have felt food was their weak point.  Since the pandemic, even things we used to really enjoy, have changed for the worse.  The restaurant this time, well, let’s just say we won’t be back…

My taste buds have dulled substantially due to ongoing cancer treatment. From what I’ve read lately about Viking food, perhaps that’s a good thing…🙂

• Like 1

For those of you that have cruised on a Viking AK cruise this year, how was the embarkation process?  From the research I have done, it looks like we enter through a large beige warehouse type building and then walk across some pavement to the little red tent and board the ship.  I am wondering if you recall how long the process takes from start to finish?  I know it could be different when we cruise in September so I'm not expecting the same results.  

Sail date 9/7 and room type is a PV1

Another few questions 🙂

Our room category, PV1, says that we can board the ship at 11am and our room would be ready around 1pm.  We were thinking of spending time in Seward the first day and then boarding in the afternoon.  Is there a specific time that 

we HAVE to be on the board the first day?  I was also wondering if it is possible to drop off our bags with Viking and then head back into Seward.

I know we do not leave Seward until the 2nd day, but I was wondering if Viking does any sort of 'sail away' party or anything special when leaving the first port?

Edited by cmmaxwell03

1 hour ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Another few questions 🙂

Our room category, PV1, says that we can board the ship at 11am and our room would be ready around 1pm.  We were thinking of spending time in Seward the first day and then boarding in the afternoon.  Is there a specific time that 

we HAVE to be on the board the first day?  I was also wondering if it is possible to drop off our bags with Viking and then head back into Seward.

I know we do not leave Seward until the 2nd day, but I was wondering if Viking does any sort of 'sail away' party or anything special when leaving the first port?

I think I can answer the second question.  I've been on other Viking ocean cruises, and there has never been a sail away party or anything like that.

• Like 1

For those of you that have cruised on a Viking AK cruise this year, how was the embarkation process?  From the research I have done, it looks like we enter through a large beige warehouse type building and then walk across some pavement to the little red tent and board the ship.  I am wondering if you recall how long the process takes from start to finish?  I know it could be different when we cruise in September so I'm not expecting the same results.  

We were nearly 75 people arriving together on a bus from the pre-cruise extension, but there were lots of reps and we all had our boarding passes.  That took less than 10 minutes.  What took awhile was the Alaska security.  We had to take off watches, belts, just everything.  Still we were on board within 20-30 minutes with a glass of sparkling wine in hand.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SantaFe1 said:

We were nearly 75 people arriving together on a bus from the pre-cruise extension, but there were lots of reps and we all had our boarding passes.  That took less than 10 minutes.  What took awhile was the Alaska security.  We had to take off watches, belts, just everything.  Still we were on board within 20-30 minutes with a glass of sparkling wine in hand.

Thank you and @CAFs for the info.  I think the additional information will help to ensure we keep our expectations in check. 💚

Another few questions 🙂

Yes, you can drop off bags with Viking and then take the provided shuttle into town.  If it were me, I would rather spend the afternoon on the beautiful Viking ship than in Seward. It’s fun to have lunch and get to know some people. The only time back imposed would be the time of the last shuttle.  I can’t remember what time that was.  
And no, no sail away party.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, you can drop off bags with Viking and then take the provided shuttle into town.  If it were me, I would rather spend the afternoon on the beautiful Viking ship than in Seward. It’s fun to have lunch and get to know some people. The only time back imposed would be the time of the last shuttle.  I can’t remember what time that was.  
And no, no sail away party.  

Awesome!  I did not realize they would offer shuttles into town on embarkation day. 

Regarding lunch....I'm still weighing our options.  We are hoping to take the Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise on the 2nd day so that would leave very little time to see the town of Seward so we are contemplating walking around the town and having lunch after arriving on the train.

Edited by cmmaxwell03

Super easy, all about 5seconds

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Awesome!  I did not realize they would offer shuttles into town on embarkation day. 

Regarding lunch....I'm still weighing our options.  We are hoping to take the Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise on the 2nd day so that would leave very little time to see the town of Seward so we are contemplating walking around the town and having lunch after arriving on the train.

From what I remember from last August, it would be a very easy walk from the ship into town, but Im not sure theres a lot to do in Seward

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Another few questions 🙂

Seward is a very small town but beautiful. The ship will be docked right in town and there are several restaurants right near the marina. There is a shuttle in Seward so you could try to find the map of where they go and maybe ride it around. Another thing you could consider is renting a car for the day. There is a Hertz within walking distance of the dock and you could drive around a little along resurrection bay and also drive to exit glacier which has a easy walk to the face of it. Its a short and very pretty drive . 

• Like 4