Gluten-Free in Main Dining Room

dandee2

Hello everyone,

Does someone have a picture of one of the menu in the MDR on oceania. DW is Coeliac and we would like to know how they indicate (icon) meals that are safe.

Thanks a lot.

3 minutes ago, dandee2 said:

Hello everyone,

Does someone have a picture of one of the menu in the MDR on oceania. DW is Coeliac and we would like to know how they indicate (icon) meals that are safe.

Thanks a lot.

You should notify Oceania ahead of time have it noted in your file  of your wife's condition

they will provide menus the day or two before  for your wife to choose items & they will  work with her to provide safe meals

If you go to the Buffet ask to speak to the Chef so he can walk you through the safe food items

Do not leave it to chance  it can ruin your cruise

JMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Previous poster is correct. It is a less than ideal system, but from what I have gathered stepping on Oceania is a Time Machine back a few decades. I am gluten free, autoimmune, and have zero expectations for “the finest cuisine at sea.” The most raved about dish, the sea bass for instance. Miso can be gluten free but not always.  So if I order it in advance do I get plain sea bass without sauce? Who knows, it sounds like a gamble.  I am baffled they can’t even list allergens on their menus, even for those choosing in advance.  

So I don’t expect fine cuisine, but expect that they will make me food I can eat and not get sick.  Very much looking forward to the cruise and destinations! 

And ignore the “use the search function, this has been talked about” replies.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrakeawayTakeaway said:

And ignore the “use the search function, this has been talked about” replies.  

The search function can be no bueno unless you know how to work it (I don't expect most people to have Boolean search skills), so I found a few posts by people with coeliac/gluten issues (or their travelmates):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2933402-allergies-on-ws-gluten-free-in-particular/#comment-65271951

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2915817-oceania-nautica-recent-experiences/#comment-64896456

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2914735-riviera-live-—-february-10th/page/2/#comment-64813657

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2870640-main-dining-room-question/page/2/#comment-64450117

For more results type "gluten" into the search bubble; be sure to choose "This Forum" from the pulldown menu next to where you typed "gluten". Sort by date to get the most recent posts.

Hehe...spellcheck wants me to spell it celeriac (makes great leek soup!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

For more results type "gluten" into the search bubble; be sure to choose "This Forum" from the pulldown menu next to where you typed "gluten". Sort by date to get the most recent 

It’s not the easiest site to search, thank you for the instructions!  I got frustrated with posters telling me to use the search function but you are the first to point out how to search this forum only.  Thank you!

Edited by BrakeawayTakeaway
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In my experience on Oceania cruises, they do an excellent job of catering to dietary restrictions. If you notify guest services of your needs in advance of the cruise, they will provide you with menu selections/preparations that meet your needs a day in advance for you to make selections. The maître d’ in the dining venue will have a written sheet to hand to your waiter when you are seated. They are accustomed to adjusting meals for passengers when given sufficient notice, and are gracious about it. Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1