P&O 'formal' nights question.

I am booked on an 11 day cruise on Explorer in June.    I see mention that we should expect 2 'formal' nights on this cruise, one of which will be  'Gatsby' themed?

Suits and cocktail dresses I was expecting, but Gatsby?  Was wondering do people actually go the effort and dress up for these special themed formal nights such as this Gatsby night?

Hi GandM. You bet ya booty people dress up for Gatsby!!! Our last cruise you couldn't move for boas and feathers!😄 Gatsby is my favourite theme night and we go all out. Leaving for our next cruise in a couple of days and first item in the suitcase is my Gatsby outfit.

• Like 2

Gatsby is huge.  Formal night in dining room for some people is for one woman, baggy singlet top with shorts and thongs, for her partner baggy tshirt with a hole in it and shorts.

Most people make an effort to dress nicely, same as if you were going to dinner in a restaurant.  Suits not needed for men, good shirt and tie, for women, long pants and nice top or dress.

• 4 months later...

Yes, there is still a formal night. However, not everyone goes to the trouble. We always do, though don't go to the extent of a tux and ballgown. Hubby wears jacket and tie and I opt for cocktail dress, which seems to be the most popular option I've noticed.

On 5/24/2023 at 8:58 AM, GandM-nq said:

I am booked on an 11 day cruise on Explorer in June.    I see mention that we should expect 2 'formal' nights on this cruise, one of which will be  'Gatsby' themed?

Suits and cocktail dresses I was expecting, but Gatsby?  Was wondering do people actually go the effort and dress up for these special themed formal nights such as this Gatsby night?

Oh yes, Gatsby is a big night and a lot of people participate. White night is great on the Lido deck also.

• 1 month later...