Butchart Gardens, Victoria, B.C. On Our Own

cruisingnana

We will be arriving in Victoria at 3:00 PM on NCL Star on Saturday, May 20, 2006. Are planning to get our own transportation to and from Butchart Gardens. We're a family group of five adults with one being an 88 year old lady needing the use of a wheelchair for impaired mobility. Will we have any problem getting transportation to and from the Gardens? And does anyone have an idea of costs involved. Thanks for any help.

The wheel chair is more for convenience and comfort due to the fact that our mother cannot walk long distances or at a very great speed. We are bringing a small, light-weight collapsible type chair and will only use it to transport her around in the garden. She is able to get herself in and out of a vehicle and walk on her own as needed. Do we still need to make advance arrangements? Thanks for all your help.

If you are going to hire a taxi and/or limo, I would definitely make advance arrangements. You should also make arrangements for them to pick you up and take you back to the ship as there are not always taxi's waiting out at the Gardens. If you rent a car then let the Garden's staff know when you are driving in that you require wheelchair parking - you won't have as far to walk from the car. I would suggest that renting a limo would be the best way to go and you'll probably have to pay for them to wait at the Gardens for you.

If your Mom can navigate a bus, take one of the double-decker buses right at the dock. It will let you off in front of the Empress Hotel. When we visited Victoria in 2004 (and I can't imagine it would have changed), you could catch a bus to the Butchart Gardens right next to or in front of the hotel. We did not make advance reservations--they were selling tickets right there.

Here's a link to a tour by Grey Line, including prices. And here's another link for a Butchart Gardens tour.

You'll have a great time at the Gardens. My husband still talks about them.

Archived