Alaska in Early May versus Late May

tj_shopper

We are deciding on two cruises - one in early May (5/9/2024) or later in May (5/24/2024).  Will we be able to do a fishing tour in early May?  I know that May is early season - I'm hoping early May most stores/shops/tours will be opened.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I have frequently gone to Alaska in May (all through May) - and I have always heard those who have gone fishing in Ketchikan and paid hundreds to do so, have walked away with nothing.

Not sure where you are looking at fishing but I heard this just recently as I just got home from Alaska.

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have frequently gone to Alaska in May (all through May) - and I have always heard those who have gone fishing in Ketchikan and paid hundreds to do so, have walked away with nothing.

Not sure where you are looking at fishing but I heard this just recently as I just got home from Alaska.

I heard this somewhere too; don't recall where.  We have a couple of people who wants to go salmon fishing but we're looking at May cruises.

What about other tours in early May?  Are things opened up this early?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, tj_shopper said:

I heard this somewhere too; don't recall where.  We have a couple of people who wants to go salmon fishing but we're looking at May cruises.

What about other tours in early May?  Are things opened up this early?

Thanks.

Yes. My trip this year was May 12-23rd. Bear watching is iffy as the salmon are not running. I did go on a bear watching trip and the bears were just coming-out of hibernation and I did see a few but not as many as if it was July-August when they are out catching salmon.

May is gorgeous in Alaska. Snow is still on the mountains and on the ground. Historically - May is the driest month to visit Alaska.

Saw some great whales.

All of my excursions I wanted ran as scheduled except for one which had an issue with their boat.

Edited by Coral

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

Yes. My trip this year was May 12-23rd. Bear watching is iffy as the salmon are not running. I did go on a bear watching trip and the bears were just coming-out of hibernation and I did see a few but not as many as if it was July-August when they are out catching salmon.

May is gorgeous in Alaska. Snow is still on the mountains and on the ground. Historically - May is the driest month to visit Alaska.

Saw some great whales.

All of my excursions I wanted ran as scheduled except for one which had an issue with their boat.

Thank you for the added color and description.  I just want people in our group to be aware and not be disappointed if they were to go in May.  We want to do May as it won't be as crowded and of course, it would be more cost effective.

1 minute ago, tj_shopper said:

Thank you for the added color and description.  I just want people in our group to be aware and not be disappointed if they were to go in May.  We want to do May as it won't be as crowded and of course, it would be more cost effective.

May is my preferred time to cruise. I have gone in May, June and July.

I did a live: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

May is my preferred time to cruise. I have gone in May, June and July.

I did a live: 

Thank you!  I bookmarked it and will go back and read when I have some time.

We are going in May of next year, towards the end of the month, the 24th.  We asked our excursion providers what time of year was best for their excursions, (flight seeing, glacier and fjord boat, and the white pass rail) and end of May was suggested . 

• Like 1

I vote for later May.  We just got back from a two week trip and did land based activities first.  A couple tours we wanted weren't running yet, and our train trip to Seward was canceled due to excess snow and avalanche risks.  On the other hand, our Anchorage hotel was over 50% cheaper than a week later, and two tours were discounted due to the early date.  No crowds anywhere.  It's a trade off.  We lucked out with awesome sunny weather almost every day for two weeks.

• Like 1