AmaWaterways Africa

MichiganJill

We just booked AMA waterways rivers and rails in Africa for August 2024.  Would love to know if anyone has taken this or a different AMA waterways Africa cruise - not Egypt but south and other parts of Africa - and has any tips. 

Hi MichiganJill, I saw your post earlier this morning and am surprised no one has responded to you.

Host Jazz Beau, has travelled with AMA in Africa - there is a link to his blog in his signature (I don't know how to link this). As an aside, I have spent 2 nights on the Chobe Princesses (owned by the same group as the Zambezi Queen (Mantis)) and operate in the same part of the river. The river safari was a highlight of our time in Southern Africa - in fact nearly everything in SA was wonderful. We went out in tenders, so you got up close to the wildlife, visited local villages or could go tiger fish fishing. We saw a lot of wildlife.

• Thanks 2

Hi Jill, sorry for the delay in answering – I saw your post from my phone which isn't my favorite way to respond, and then forgot when I got home!

We did AMA's Discover Africa in May 2018, without any of the post-cruise extensions.  Most people on our trip were doing the Stars extension and a few were doing the Rails – since we left them after Vic Falls we never heard how they enjoyed those parts.

We enjoyed the trip very much, from the start in Cape Town to our finish with a guide in Jo'burg.  Here is the link to my blog:

jazzbeauxafricansafari2018.wordpress.com

Note that Lion Encounter no longer offers the Walk with Lions activity that we did.  No touching now, but they have a new program that lets you watch the lions eating and see the pride interacting.  I would still do this.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here or email me.

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 3:25 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Hi Jill, sorry for the delay in answering – I saw your post from my phone which isn't my favorite way to respond, and then forgot when I got home!

We did AMA's Discover Africa in May 2018, without any of the post-cruise extensions.  Most people on our trip were doing the Stars extension and a few were doing the Rails – since we left them after Vic Falls we never heard how they enjoyed those parts.

We enjoyed the trip very much, from the start in Cape Town to our finish with a guide in Jo'burg.  Here is the link to my blog:

jazzbeauxafricansafari2018.wordpress.com

Note that Lion Encounter no longer offers the Walk with Lions activity that we did.  No touching now, but they have a new program that lets you watch the lions eating and see the pride interacting.  I would still do this.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here or email me.

Thanks, this is very helpful!! 

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to AmaWaterways Africa
  • 8 months later...

Hi Jill

i just came across your post as I was searching AMA for the Mekong.  We stayed on the Zambezi Queen in January and it was fabulous.  We enjoyed every minute of it.  Going out on the little boats to see the wildlife is wonderful.  We could happily have sat all day long watching the herds of elephants coming down to the river to drink and play.  Our only regret was that we only had two nights.