Punta Sur Eco Beach Park - taxi

KCcruzor

Also, we want to see the nearby Celarain Lighthouse, as well. Do we just tell the taxi driver we want to make a stop there? I would guess three fares then? Port to Lighthouse. Lighthouse to Punta Sur. Punta Sur back to Port. 

Punta Sur is southern most point, between west and east coast, if you look at a map of Cozumel. You can do a virtual ride round the island on Google maps.

You will need a driver for the day that stays with you, either booked in advance (our preference) or negotiate at the port from the taxi drivers, or alternatively rent a vehicle to self-drive. There is very poor cell service in this area and most likely no waiting taxis for return - certainly not something I would rely on on a cruise ship visit. There is no electricity on the east side and everything is cash only. Some people have reported negotiating for taxi to return for them but again not something i would depend on while on a cruise ship and I like the flexibility of having the driver there if we want to move on.

You pay an entrance fee to enter Punta Sur and the lighthouse and lagoon are within the park and probably a couple of beach bars.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Punta Sur is southern most point, between west and east coast, if you look at a map of Cozumel. You can do a virtual ride round the island on Google maps.

You will need a driver for the day that stays with you, either booked in advance (our preference) or negotiate at the port from the taxi drivers, or alternatively rent a vehicle to self-drive. There is very poor cell service in this area and most likely no waiting taxis for return - certainly not something I would rely on on a cruise ship visit. There is no electricity on the east side and everything is cash only. Some people have reported negotiating for taxi to return for them but again not something i would depend on while on a cruise ship and I like the flexibility of having the driver there if we want to move on.

You pay an entrance fee to enter Punta Sur and the lighthouse and lagoon are within the park and probably a couple of beach bars.

We usually do the rental car when we go there either land or cruise.  You are absolutely correct about the cell service.  I would also add that the entrance is a long way from the actual beach and one has to factor the timing in on the way back out to the car rental return and the ship.  I only did it when we had long port days.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We did a "tour" in a private jeep and went there. We had a driver and she took us over to the "Wild Side" (which we had never been to in all the years we've been going there) and showed us around (it's beautiful over there). We would stop at multiple places and take pictures and she would do whatever we wanted. She let us customize the tour with our needs. Then we went on to Punta Sur and the light house and then on to the beach for lunch and some time spent there. It was definitely the way to go when coming by cruise ship. You can find my review HERE with tons of pictures.