Choose Alternate Voyage Offer

My TA just emailed me an offer from Regent:  Choose an Alternate Voyage and receive $2,640 cash back refund!  Same price as originally paid. 

We are confirmed on the Navigator, June 11, Montreal/NYC.  

There are three alternate offers for mid-September & October Canadian cruises on Mariner.  

Does anyone know why this is being offered?

Probably oversold.  Fall much better for Canada/New England so if you can swing it I would jump.  Ask for cabin with a shower only on Mariner (if available).

You would be going from 12 night to 11 night cruise so make sure you are getting 1/12 of your fare back AND cash back refund.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Thanks 1

Occasionally, Regent has waitlists for cruises and so looks for already-booked passengers who may have flexibility in their schedule and could move to a cruise that is not yet fully booked. You shouldn’t feel any pressure to accept the offer. But on the other hand if it works for you (and there is the cash-back refund), then do it. 

Edited by red1head
Typo

Of course all we know is pure speculation, but we had a similar offer for our cruise in March.  As it happened, we had a water pipe freeze and break on Christmas.  Since the final payment was already past we were obligated to go on the cruise.  We had arranged for the workmen to have access to the house while we were gone, but not ideal.  Four days before the cruise we got the email so we jumped on it and delayed to Dec.  We were in a Deluxe on Navigator but now are in a Penthouse A on Mariner (HUGE upgrade) and we received a very nice amount back, plus have a free hotel stay.  AND it allowed us to be home for our house repairs.  So a GREAT deal for us!!!  

As to "why," it worked out so well for us that I couldn't care less as to why.  But my speculation is that they had a big waitlist.  They already had our full payment so by delaying us to Dec. they could get the full payment from another passenger thus creating extra cash flow.  Makes perfect sense as they try to dig themselves out of the Covid economic hole they were dropped in.  

But again, simply speculation.  Could be that they made the offer so they clear some people off the waitlist just like an airlines offers money to give up a seat on an oversold flight.  Who knows?  

• Like 1

We have sailed the Canada/New England in the Fall twice before; once on Seabourn, once on Regent.  I love the Mariner and the cash refund is enticing but I need to be pampered by Regent ASAP!

Edited by OilPainter2020
  • Like 2

My mistake...we sailed Canada twice on Seabourn.  

This will be our first on Navigator but have sailed Mariner/Alaska, Voyager/TransAtlantic, and Explorer/Caribbean.

Sept 2015 - 10 nights on Seabourn Quest, Montreal/Boston:  Loved it!  We were too early for the colors but have been to New England many times on land trips so that was not an issue.  We were lucky enough to overnight in Quebec City which worked out as the first day it poured cats and dogs.  The second day was sunny and lovely.  We missed Prince Edward Island due to weather and we had really looked forward to PEI oysters.  All in all, had a great cruise.

Oct/Nov 2019 - 12 nights Seabourn Quest, Montreal/Miami:  I can't recall the colors.  Seeing the colors is hit or miss depending on weather pattern. We won't be booking Seabourn again and we have over 120 nights sailing with them.  Itinerary was fine but the service seemed as if Seabourn had really gone downhill.  This was pre-Covid and we experienced lack of staff, sub-par service, running out of foods, very bland food, etc.   Of course, this is after having sailed two cruises with Regent so we were comparing the outstanding service and amenities of Regent.  

(Prince Edward Island was cancelled on this cruise as well, but it's not Seabourn's fault)

I'm sure you'll have a glorious time on Grandeur!

The intensity and color variation of the fall leaves is very dependent on the weather - and as has happened more than once, just before peak is about to hit, we get a huge storm and all the leaves are on the ground. I lived in Vermont for a few years and each year the color change and timing was different.

I am also on the cruise but did not receive anything from my TA - interested in what type of cabin you booked?

On 5/31/2023 at 2:49 PM, OilPainter2020 said:

My TA just emailed me an offer from Regent:  Choose an Alternate Voyage and receive $2,640 cash back refund!  Same price as originally paid. 

We are confirmed on the Navigator, June 11, Montreal/NYC.  

There are three alternate offers for mid-September & October Canadian cruises on Mariner.  

Does anyone know why this is being offered?

Very simple - you are NOT oversold. Regent has more demand (Waitlist) for this cruise than they do cabins. SO, in order to retain you and capture another client, they offer you (and others like you in the cabins that are waitlisted for) the chance to swap bookings and receive a nice check for your trouble. You will never be "bounced" - it simply doesn't work that way. They are only trying to fill another ship that is full by diverting from your current cruise.

• Like 3