Pisa AND Cinque Terre from La Spezia

badgerboy

I know I will hear from people saying it is not worth it, but what can I say- I'm ambitious. So, is it possible to get from La Spezia port to Pisa, run up the tower and back, and still have time to take a ferry ride to see some of Cinque Terre? I'm not sure we would even get off the ferry- I think it would be nice just to see the towns from the boat. 

How can I pull this off independently?

Thanks!

(Port time listed as 830am-830pm)

You do need a timed ticket to go up in the tower.  You can get them here: Opera della Primaziale Pisana: sito ufficiale – A few words of advice before you buy your ticket (opapisa.it)

Note that they only go on sale 20 days prior to the visit, so you'll need to be on line that day to get the time you want/need.

If this is really important to you, I would suggest hiring a car service for a half day to take you to Pisa and back, going by train will waste too much time.  

For example, you MIGHT be able to make the 9:23 train but I wouldn't count on it because first you have to take the shuttle bus from the ship to the cruise terminal, then walk 1.9 km/one and a quarter miles to the train station.  There are buses but I think it would be faster to walk.  While there will be taxis they are looking for half or full day fares and won't want a short trip to the train station.

If you do make the 9:23 you'd be in Pisa at 10:17, then you've got a 1.7 km/1.1 miles walk or a 10 minute cab ride to the tower.  More likely you'll wind up on the 10:13 train, arriving at 11:03.

So I would look to get tickets for the tower around noon.  Assuming you can get them, you'd be back in La Spezia between 2:30 - 3 PM, which is enough time for a quick ferry ride but not much more.

• Thanks 1

Would the Regionale trains work as a backup if we don't make the 9:23?

And the ferry tickets- those are just come and go as we please, correct?  So we could watch the clock and hop off somewhere if needed and start heading back to La Spezia?

Not sure it is really reasonable, in a single port day.  The problem is geography.  If Pisa is a real priority than you might consider coupling it with a visit to Lucca.   Cinque Terre is not an area you can tour in a few short hours, unless you limit yourself to 1 or perhaps 2 of the villages.  Also keep in mind that just "hopping" on a train still means you need time to get to the train station :).  The Field of Miracles is not within spitting distance of the train station so not only do you have to deal with the crowds (and timed tickets to climb the tower) but also moving between that area and the train station.   If you are a fast walker you can get between the tower and station in about 20 min (each way).  Taxis are a much faster option, but you cannot always count on finding a taxi when you need one.

Hank

• Like 1

In agreement with others that this is not the best plan, in part as the two locations are in entirely different directions from la Spezia. Your other complication will be trying to obtain tickets ahead of time to actually go up the tower.  Even should you be successful, you will have a designated time to collect your tickets on the day and to do the climb, and that timing may not fit with your plans.

Pisa would be much easier if coupled with Lucca as they are on the same line and quite close to each other.  it would be quite easy to take your photos of the tower before continuing on to Lucca which is a Tuscan gem and a really delightful town in which to spend a few hours. It is popular for a reason.There will be many images and much info to be found online.

OTOH, from la Spezia you have a few other options.  We had a wonderful day exploring Santa Margherita Ligure and pretty Portofino. CT is a FAQ and there are many many previous threads which you would find helpful to read if you have not already done so.

Go to the main Italy Ports forum, not to any individual thread, and input either la Spezia or Cinq Terre   in turn into the empty search box under your username, then hit the little spy glass.  All previous threads and replies containing that word will appear in the results ready for you to read and you can learn a lot by doing this. I would also pull up past threads containing the words Portofino and Santa Margherita.This thread would be an example and a good starting point.  Ignore the references to driving as it moves on from there. There are many many more to be found.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2911139-la-spezia-anything-to-do-within-a-short-drive/#comment-64723978

Portofino and SML (again do search for many others)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2933815-portofino/#comment-65282461

Edited by edinburgher

I appreciate the suggestions, but my story is not unique- my teens want to see the Tower. And if the Tower and the Colosseum are the 2 things they want to see in a 2 week trip, I am obliged to accommodate their request. I have been to Pisa and Lucca, but have not explored anything else in the area. Maybe Porto Venere is the compromise?

I think your thread could have been worded in a different way as you mention two differnt tower experiences in your two posts, the first of these being" RUN UP THE TOWER AND BACK" followed by a trip to CT, and due to that description of your proposed  tower visit, members replied  explaining some of the challenges you could expect which could upset your plans for the day, and suggesting options which would work better logistically and make better use of your time..

But you have now mentioned a second tower experience,which is "my teens want to SEE the Tower" and this is an entirely different option. which, had it been known initially, would have produced different replies.  And you had a few suggestions to visit Lucca which would not have been made had it been known you had already done so and would know about the train line between Pisa and Lucca, their proximity to each other, and how lovely Lucca is.

Porto Venere could be a good choice but short if that would suit, but I still recommend you also  look at a joint Santa Margherita/Portofino option.

Edited by edinburgher