NCL Spirit from NYC - couple of first-timer questions

Nic'sMama

HI-

First-time cruiser, hope you don't mind if I post a few questions here, TIA!

Myself (36), DH (37), and baby Nic (17 mos) are cruising on the Spirit from NYC to FL and Bahamas in May.

1) First and foremost, is it a mistake to cruise with a toddler??? :D Does anyone know if NCL strictly enforces the group babysitting age of a minimum of 2 yrs?

2) Just how does freestlye dining work? Do you make reservations only for the specialty restaurants? Otherwise, do you just eat when you want and sit where you want?

3) We booked a room with a balcony on the 11th floor, mid-ship, port side. A good choice, or perhaps a noisy floor??

4) I'm vegetarian - do I need to mention that ahead of time or is vegi food readily available on the Spirit?

5) # 1 item not to forget to bring with us (aside from the obvious)???

Alright, that's enough questions for now. I have been reading your reviews and comments about the Spirit and I'm so ready to go.

1) First and foremost' date=' is it a mistake to cruise with a toddler??? :D Does anyone know if NCL strictly enforces the group babysitting age of a minimum of 2 yrs? .[/quote']

Yes, they are very strict with the age levels for the Kids Club. The age of the child at the time of sailing determines whether or not you can use it. So the answer is no. Also, children must be potty trained or you will be given a beeper to be called at changing time. For this reason, you cannot leave your child in group babysitting while you leave the ship.

I have cruised with my brother in law's son who was 3 and my neice who was one year. It is not a mistake but will limit some of your options as far as entertainment is concerned. How about inviting grandparents to cruise too and share the fun of being with the child.

2) Just how does freestlye dining work? Do you make reservations only for the specialty restaurants? Otherwise' date=' do you just eat when you want and sit where you want?.[/quote']

Let me see if I can clear this Freestyle up for you:

Freestyle basically means that you choose your dining experience. You choose WHEN you eat, you choose WHERE you eat, you choose with WHO you eat, you choose WHAT YOU WEAR to eat.

Here we go:

1.) There are no reservations for the main dining rooms. You simply walk up during their operating hours (5:30-9:30) and ask for a table like any shore side restaurant. There may be a wait during the peak times of 6:15-8:30, but usually less than 20 minutes.

2.) You do not have assigned table mates. You can choose to eat with just your family or you can ask to be seated with others if you want to meet new people like on traditional cruises. There is no "Captain's Table" and you most likely will not have the same waiter every night. You can request the same waiter however.

3.) The specialty restaurants require reservations and most have a cover charge of $15-$25 per person. Reservations should be made early.

4.) There is no required Formal night on any NCL ship. There is one OPTIONAL formal night during a 7 day cruise, but only about 40% dress up and those that do range from tuxes to shirt and tie. You can wear "resort casual" to all meals at all times in all venues on NCL ships. Resort casual means no jeans, sweats, warm-up suits, swimming attire, shorts or t-shirts. Most people wear a polo shirt and Kahkis or a nice sundress. That is why I like NCL so much!!

5.) There is no required tipping. $10 per person per day will be added to your onboard account to take care of tips for wait staff and room stewards. A 15% service fee is added to bar and spa tabs. You are certainly welcome to tip additionaly to those who have provided extrodinary service, but it is not necessary.

3) We booked a room with a balcony on the 11th floor' date=' mid-ship, port side. A good choice, or perhaps a noisy floor??.[/quote']

I have found that NCL's ships are pretty well insulated. I have never been bothered by noise on any NCL ship from cabins on the other side of me or anything above me.

4) I'm vegetarian - do I need to mention that ahead of time or is vegi food readily available on the Spirit?.

There is always at least one vegetarian entree and apetizer on all menus in the main dining rooms. Can't speak for all the specialty restaurants.

5) # 1 item not to forget to bring with us (aside from the obvious)???.

There are so many, let me think on that one.

Ask any other questions that you might have, you'll find that someone on here will know the answer.

YOUR PASSPORT

Passports aren't required this year for this itinerary. I got them this year for my upcoming trip, and the requirements were pushed back after I had done so.

HI-

First-time cruiser' date=' hope you don't mind if I post a few questions here, TIA!

Myself (36), DH (37), and baby Nic (17 mos) are cruising on the Spirit from NYC to FL and Bahamas in May.

1) First and foremost, is it a mistake to cruise with a toddler??? :D Does anyone know if NCL strictly enforces the group babysitting age of a minimum of 2 yrs?

2) Just how does freestlye dining work? Do you make reservations only for the specialty restaurants? Otherwise, do you just eat when you want and sit where you want?

3) We booked a room with a balcony on the 11th floor, mid-ship, port side. A good choice, or perhaps a noisy floor??

4) I'm vegetarian - do I need to mention that ahead of time or is vegi food readily available on the Spirit?

Alright, that's enough questions for now. I have been reading your reviews and comments about the Spirit and I'm so ready to go.[/quote']

is there a reason why you start off your first post and have never cruised with a thumbs down?

1. Absolutely strictly enforced. NCL's insurance doesn't cover under 2.

2. Freestyle means two things.

a. resort casual

b. no set seating but they will sit you were they want you to at the restuatants that are no reservation, except the buffet. You can decide whether you want to sit with someone or by yourself, and you can probably wait for a specifc table but they will decide for you.

3. The rooms are quiet and well insulated.

4. Vegi food is almost always available but you doin't say how strict a vegie you are(like a vegan)...DO you eat eggs fish etc or are you strictly nothing near an animal of anykind.

5. Are you planning to stay on board when the ship is in port? One of the biggest thing you can take with you is a positive attitude...

is there a reason why you start off your first post and have never cruised with a thumbs down?

Thought that icon was a question mark for some reason, oops!!! We definitely have a positive attitude towards cruising. Can't wait!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and comments, I really appreciate it. Freestyle dining sounds great, esp. when you are traveling with a toddler.

We have passports already, so that's taken care of even though we don't technically need them.

I am lacto-ovo veg, so I do eat eggs and dairy so meals probably won't be a problem then.

We don't have any alternatives for child care, and even though we will miss out on some nighttime activities, we are expecting to have a great time with Nic.

Thanks again, I look forward to reading more info on this board about cruising in general, and the Spirit.

HI-

I'm vegetarian - do I need to mention that ahead of time or is vegi food readily available on the Spirit?

Nic'sMama' date=' BF is a vegetarian (no meat or seafood) and he had plenty to eat and was quite happy with the selection.

Main Dining Rooms: Always a vegetarian entree choice

Buffet: Plenty of stuff, his favorites were the Indian selections (not much of a selection, as it was on the Dawn, but enough to make him happy)

Le Bistro: Has a veg entree (and it's good)

[i']Cagney's: Nothing much on that menu for a vegie except side dishes/salad[/i]

Asian Restaurant (my mind is blanking on the name ...): Has a veg entree selection

Blue Lagoon: I don't remember there being much (if anything?) on that menu--but cherck it out to be sure

La Trattoria: Pasta dishes for a vegetarian

Enjoy! Loved the Spirit.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and comments' date=' I really appreciate it. Freestyle dining sounds great, esp. when you are traveling with a toddler.

I am lacto-ovo veg, so I do eat eggs and dairy so meals probably won't be a problem then.

We don't have any alternatives for child care, and even though we will miss out on some nighttime activities, we are expecting to have a great time with Nic.

Thanks again, I look forward to reading more info on this board about cruising in general, and the Spirit.[/quote']

I saw a lot of people walking their little ones around the ship with strollers. There are so many food choices that I don't believe you will have a problem. Plenty of fresh fruit, pasta and rice dishes too. Lot's of vegetarian desserts too. ;)

Have a wonderful time.

Jackie

The Blue Lagoon does have Mac & Cheese, tomato soup, potato skins, etc. The Mac & Cheese is a child's order, but very good. You can always order another one too. There are also many cheeses on the buffet to choose from and they have delicious breads at the deli section.

Jackie

Nic's Mama; The veggie entrees on the Sun and the Dawn were often small, so be aware that you can order two (or more). Or if the side dishes accompanying another adult's entree look interesting, order that entree also- and scoop the meat, fish or poultry onto the other's plate. Since the plates are pre-loaded in the kitchen, most servers will not be able to just bring you only the rice pilaf (or whatever), just a full plate of the entree selection that has the rice pilaf on it. Also, many normally veggie options might have non-veggie garnishes (bacon is on the potato skins, for example), so you will have to be alert! I really recommend the Indian options (frequently in a seperate buffet line for lunch on the Dawn). You will certainly find a variety of choices throughout the week.

One thing to bring. If baby Nic is not too large, I would suggest a baby-backpack in addition to the stroller. Decades ago, I toted my daughter (19 months) around a ship that way- very convenient for us and for her. Sometimes they do just need to run wild (LOL), but having her confined and on your back will be much easier in buffet lines, elevators, embarkation, debarkation, etc.

Have a great cruise.

The Blue Lagoon does have Mac & Cheese, tomato soup, potato skins, etc. The Mac & Cheese is a child's order, but very good. You can always order another one too. There are also many cheeses on the buffet to choose from and they have delicious breads at the deli section.

Jackie

I was just on the spirit and they did not offer mac&cheese, tomato soup or the potato skins. I thought the menu in the blue lagoon was very limited on the spirit. However, i do recall the dawn offering mac&cheese, tomato soup, and potato skins.

The Spirit (and maybe others) now permit jeans in the dining rooms if they are not ripped.

Also, the Dawn and Spirit DO NOT seat you with strangers. The Majesty DID a few years ago when I was on it.

It would be nice if they did accommodate theserequests.

I was just on the spirit and they did not offer mac&cheese, tomato soup or the potato skins. I thought the menu in the blue lagoon was very limited on the spirit. However, i do recall the dawn offering mac&cheese, tomato soup, and potato skins.

I sure would miss those. The Mac & Cheese and Tomato Soup were great for a quick lunch.

Did they have the Stir Fry Noodles?

I dont think they had the noodles either. They did have the rice though. The main thing I was a little irked at were the burgers. I wouldnt call myself a fussy eater but there are certain things I dont like. One of which is onions. The burgers they made in the Blue Lagoon had onions inside of them and you couldnt order a burger without them. As usual the burgers out on deck when they had the poolside barbecue were tremendous. God, I love them burgers!!!!!!!!!

I dont think they had the noodles either. They did have the rice though. The main thing I was a little irked at were the burgers. I wouldnt call myself a fussy eater but there are certain things I dont like. One of which is onions. The burgers they made in the Blue Lagoon had onions inside of them and you couldnt order a burger without them. As usual the burgers out on deck when they had the poolside barbecue were tremendous. God, I love them burgers!!!!!!!!!

It's too bad they don't give you a choice, with or without the onions. Do they mix it right in with the ground beef? I never had a burger at the Blue Lagoon. I know a lot of people have said the food has gone downhill somewhat, but we both enjoyed most of our meals. The most memorable things however, were the Mac & cheese and the Pastrami sandwiches in the NY Deli. I guess that isn't a good sign. LeBistro was great, but the Filet Mignon we had at Cagney's wasn't fantastic. It was okay, but we did prefer LeBistro's filets. Probably the same meat, but it definiitely tasted better.

What I'd give for one of those burgers poolside right now!!!

Jackie

About passports.

On my recent cruise on another cruise line which I will leave unmentioned, on disembarkation day, a young lady was complaining about the extremely long lines at US Customs. "Why don't these lines move faster?" and "Why is that line moving so much faster?" she kept repeating over and over.

Another lady finally butted in and said, "They would move faster if everyone had passports!"

Well, you can probably guess, the lady complaining about the lines had her driver's license and birth certificate, with a name change to boot. US Customs took 5 minutes double checking her papers. The lady immediately behind her, who spoke up earlier and had a passport, spent about 15 seconds talking with customs before being passed, and beat the first lady to the door.

As she walked past the first lady, she spoke rudely, "I don't know why they don't split the lines between those with passports and those without? It's people like you that make the lines long!"

Meanwhile, I passed both the ladies to the door, knowing when to keep my big mouth shut and glad I had a passport too!

Just to clarify her post was a question mark NOT a thumbs down.

To clarify even more...her post WAS a thumbs down but after seeing her mention in this thread that she meant to use a question mark, I changed it from a thumbs down to a question mark.

Recently stayed on the Spirit in 11052. Room was quiet. Sometimes could hear noise through the closet but that was it except for the last night when some of the teens and other guests went a little wild but they did quiet down relatively early (in the morning).

We used to do Club Med in Port St. Lucie when our kids were little. They have a kids club also. Having a baby along (especially your first and only) just adds to the fun. Now that my children are grown (youngest is 11), I love watching the young'uns like yourself. Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy some more. They are only young once.:)

It's too bad they don't give you a choice, with or without the onions. Do they mix it right in with the ground beef? I never had a burger at the Blue Lagoon. I know a lot of people have said the food has gone downhill somewhat, but we both enjoyed most of our meals. The most memorable things however, were the Mac & cheese and the Pastrami sandwiches in the NY Deli. I guess that isn't a good sign. LeBistro was great, but the Filet Mignon we had at Cagney's wasn't fantastic. It was okay, but we did prefer LeBistro's filets. Probably the same meat, but it definiitely tasted better.

What I'd give for one of those burgers poolside right now!!!

Jackie

Yes, the onions must have been mixed in with the ground beef because they were inside the burgers!!! There was no way to get them without the onions, i asked...

Archived