First time NCL’er - Long Time Cruiser

krufrank

DW + I cruise quite a bit but never with NCL. So we have questions:

1) Free Style dinning - does this mean we never have to make reservations! including specialty restaurants, for meals?

2) On our ship, The Jewel, it has 2 main dining rooms - one that says contemporary casual the other formal. Does this mean if we stick with contemporary casual one we will have no need for formal wear? Or is there still one formal night, regardless of dining room, per week?

3) We’ve done Alaska before with Princess. Do NCL ships have a version of the “Sanctuary” on them? Especially The Jewel? It is a great space to linger and rest while going thru the straights. 

Thanks for any responses given. 

You do not need to make dining room reservations for the dining room.  The two dining rooms have the same menu, one is smaller, the other a bit more grand.  The smaller one, iMHO is quieter, the larger one has more window seating and natural light.  I do not recall there being any difference in dress code.

you should make reservations for specialty dining.  You can do that online 120 days out or wait til you are onboard.  If it’s not available online, fear not,they only release 25-30% of reservations online.  But do go straight to the reservation area (it varies by ship) as soon as you board.

the Spinnaker Loungeis on the upper forward de k and is a great place to view the glaciers and chill during the day.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, krufrank said:

1) Free Style dinning - does this mean we never have to make reservations! including specialty restaurants, for meals?

2) On our ship, The Jewel, it has 2 main dining rooms - one that says contemporary casual the other formal. Does this mean if we stick with contemporary casual one we will have no need for formal wear? Or is there still one formal night, regardless of dining room, per week?

3) We’ve done Alaska before with Princess. Do NCL ships have a version of the “Sanctuary” on them? Especially The Jewel? It is a great space to linger and rest while going thru the straights. 

Reservations are not required for the MDRs, but expect to wait in line briefly at peak times.  Reservations are recommended for specialty restaurants, although you may be able to find a table on some days at less popular times, even without a reservation.  You can book in advance on line or once you are on board.  Certain popular restaurants tend to book up quickly, however.

Formal attire is never required.  Cruise casual clothing is acceptable anywhere on the ship at any time.  Slacks and collared shirts are requested at some restaurants, but you likely won't be denied a table even in shorts, T-shirt, and sandals.  There usually will be a "dress up or not" night once per week on most NCL ships.  Some folks enjoy dressing in formal wear on these occasions.  Sometimes the photo staff will set up for pictures with the captain. 

• Thanks 1

NCL does not have any "formal night" on any of their ships.  Typically only a couple of specialty restaurants have any dress code (men must wear pants and collared shirt).  Le Bistro, for example.

Most sailings will have an evening called "dress up or not night" and there will be photographers strategically placed throughout the ship for portraits.  But honestly, they are out each evening taking pictures,

We love the more casual environment.  The dressiest I get are Khakis and a nice Tommy Bahama shirt.  

Enjoy!

25 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

the Spinnaker Loungeis on the upper forward de k and is a great place to view the glaciers and chill during the day.

Is this a free spot to hang out?? 

45 minutes ago, krufrank said:

Thanks everyone. I’ve noticed on our Roll Call people talking about “booking seats for shows” once on board. Is this a thing with NCL? Pre-booking seats for shows?

Not on the jewel class ships, they don’t take reservations and they are not needed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krufrank said:

Thanks everyone. I’ve noticed on our Roll Call people talking about “booking seats for shows” once on board. Is this a thing with NCL? Pre-booking seats for shows?

It's only needed on the big ships, not on the smaller ships like the Jewel.

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Slacks and collared shirts are requested at some restaurants, but you likely won't be denied a table even in shorts, T-shirt, and sandals. 

This is not correct.

1 hour ago, RB9643 said:

This is not correct.

I have been seated in Le Bistro on several different NCL ships and noticed other passengers wearing T-shirts, shorts, and sandals.  There usually are signs at the restaurant entrance listing the dress code, but the hostess and/or restaurant manager seemed unwilling to offend the passengers by demanding that they comply with the code.  There are many dress code threads on this CC forum which address this issue.  There have been many reports which attest to instances on each side of the fence.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no, on NCL enforcing the dress code.

We also found that the dress code is flexible especially on the first and last nights.  Our first night my BIL was allowed in with shorts.  The next time, he was sent back to change.  The hostess said that the first night they try to be accommodating as not everyone received their luggage before dinner and may not have long pants available.

But for the most part, we've found that Le Bistro does stick to their dress code.

20 hours ago, krufrank said:

You've received some good answers above. I'm not really sure what contemporary casual is. Nor do I know what cruise casual is. Or smart casual. I know my definition of casual is a t-shirt, shorts, and flippie floppies. I also know these are not supposed to be allowed in Le Bistro, Ocean Blue (and some other restaurants on Pr1ma). Additionally, I know that, in general, at least one of the main dining rooms (usually aft) is more formal than the others.

For these more formal restaurants, I just don't go. I don't want to put the staff in an uncomfortable position of politely telling me I'm not dressed well enough, nor do I want them to allow me in only for some passenger to take it upon themselves to discuss said staff member that they allowed an inappropriately dressed passenger in the restaurant. 

I am guessing your definition of contemporary casual probably means closed-toe shoes, pants, and some sort of collared shirt, including a polo. If so, then you are welcome at all restaurants onboard. 

We stick with all the other restaurants where my definition of casual is allowed. There are plenty of options on NCL. This is just my personal cruise etiquette. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 9:54 PM, The Traveling Man said:

There have been many reports which attest to instances on each side of the fence.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no, on NCL enforcing the dress code.

That's why I called it incorrect when you said, "likely won't be denied". It may be just as likely that you ARE denied. Mostly at Cagney's, Le Bistro, and Ocean Blue in my experience.

On 6/1/2023 at 8:56 AM, krufrank said:

1) You’ll want to make reservations for the specialty restaurants. Unlike a lot of other cruise lines, NCL’s ships give a ton of space to specialty dining, and the expectation is that you’re dining in these venues regularly. You don’t need MDR reservations. 

2) Officially, the aft MDR is “classier” and the midship MDR is more “casual.” In reality, compared to any other line NCL is *super* casual all the time. It’s one of the reasons people love the line. You officially allowed to wear shorts to the MDR and specialties, with the exception of Le Bistro and the aft MDR on the Jewel class ships (but even then this isn’t enforced). 

3) There is nothing like the Sanctuary on NCL’s jewel class ships. There is a lounge/bar venue called the Spinnaker at the front of the ship that is enclosed with windows, but it will likely be mobbed on scenic cruising days. Unless you’re in the Haven, that level of attention and service doesn’t exist on NCL.

As someone who has also sailed a lot of lines, I’d say it’s important to have realistic expectations for your NCL cruise. Think fun, drinks, no enrichment, very laid-back. Princess will feel like a crossing on the QM2 in comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1