Anybody noticed any increase in anti-gay activity on any ship ?

Gunther1

With the recent increase of anti-gay sentiment in some circles in the US, I’m wondering if anybody has noticed any more of this crap  on a cruise ship.

I’ve taken two cruises so far this year and haven’t noticed any change .  Hopefully it stays that way :).

Nope. We were on a small RCI ship just a few weeks ago and didn't notice anything. No one jumped out of the pool when we were as affectionate as the straight couples in there. 😜

The cruising crowd tends to be more laidback anyways, so you won't get as many people as polarized or willing to be extreme as partisan politics stateside. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it all depends on the line and where you cruise out off, right?  No issues in Europe but we are steering clear of the US this year, and sadly won’t be returning for some time.  

• Like 3

On 6/3/2023 at 5:59 PM, Gunther1 said:

With the recent increase of anti-gay sentiment in some circles in the US, I’m wondering if anybody has noticed any more of this crap  on a cruise ship.

I’ve taken two cruises so far this year and haven’t noticed any change .  Hopefully it stays that way :).

Nothing overt in the way of service, I will say that there are things that some straight men have made comments either loud enough for me to hear or while being intoxicated. Nothing that I have not heard before, but I have noticed an uptick on what was said to me directly, vs years ago that while they may think it, most would refrain from saying out loud,

As I mentioned even as a kid I was always treated respectfully by crew members on every cruise line that I have been on, but ya I have noticed changes.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, welshy74 said:

I think it all depends on the line and where you cruise out off, right?  No issues in Europe but we are steering clear of the US this year, and sadly won’t be returning for some time.  

I am sorry to hear that US based cruises have been bad enough for you to avoid them, hopefully this will change in the future.

• Like 1

I don't know if I mentioned this anywhere before or not, but I had a great "internal laugh" because my husband is quite a bit younger than me, and he is Asian, so he looks even younger than he is...

We were in the spa on the ship and my husband was in the giant hot pool, and I was moving between the steam room and the snow grotto and a comment was overheard that I don't think was supposed to be and that was:

Directed to me.  -   He is the "sugar daddy".

Well, that just made me laugh, because in reality my husband makes quite a bit more money that I do annually, so in actual fact, it is the other way around.

We have never yet experienced any overt discrimination, in fact the opposite, we have felt quite welcomed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I don't know if I mentioned this anywhere before or not, but I had a great "internal laugh" because my husband is quite a bit younger than me, and he is Asian, so he looks even younger than he is...

We were in the spa on the ship and my husband was in the giant hot pool, and I was moving between the steam room and the snow grotto and a comment was overheard that I don't think was supposed to be and that was:

Directed to me.  -   He is the "sugar daddy".

Well, that just made me laugh, because in reality my husband makes quite a bit more money that I do annually, so in actual fact, it is the other way around.

We have never yet experienced any overt discrimination, in fact the opposite, we have felt quite welcomed.

That is hilarious Which ship ?!

7 minutes ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

That is hilarious Which ship ?!

I know right?  We are big Viking fans.  This was a Viking ship in the large Spa open room.

We have never felt any negative attitude towards us, and I believe that this was just a passing comment that anyone would make in jest... but I should have been more forward and clarified for them how is the "bread winner" in the relationship.  

I am certain however that they did not think we heard them.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I know right?  We are big Viking fans.  This was a Viking ship in the large Spa open room.

We have never felt any negative attitude towards us, and I believe that this was just a passing comment that anyone would make in jest... but I should have been more forward and clarified for them how is the "bread winner" in the relationship.  

I am certain however that they did not think we heard them.

Can you describe the Viking ships wet area? Is it single sex or coed?

Just now, CruiseMsclDad said:

Can you describe the Viking ships wet area? Is it single sex or coed?

The Viking Spa is set up this way:

Men's change room has Men only sauna and cold plunge pool.  Nice relaxation area and nice change rooms and showers.  Not huge...  2 showers only.  Never that busy.

The open wet area is coed.

Large hot jetted pool - perhaps 18 X 24 feet

Steam room

Snow Grotto

Ice water Bucket shower

regular shower

lounge chairs

So the only "private" non coed is the mens locker with the sauna and plunge pool

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

The Viking Spa is set up this way:

Men's change room has Men only sauna and cold plunge pool.  Nice relaxation area and nice change rooms and showers.  Not huge...  2 showers only.  Never that busy.

The open wet area is coed.

Large hot jetted pool - perhaps 18 X 24 feet

Steam room

Snow Grotto

Ice water Bucket shower

regular shower

lounge chairs

So the only "private" non coed is the mens locker with the sauna and plunge pool

Thanks so much for the information! I wish they posted more pics of these areas!

1 hour ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

Thanks so much for the information! I wish they posted more pics of these areas!

You are NOT supposed to take pictures in the spa area... some do, but technically, it is not allowed.  These are just off of Google but you can also find Viking videos that showcase the spa.

Are you thinking of taking a Viking Cruise?  We have been on six now and we have three booked in the future.

image.png.b855715d72143550abf7b5d84c5f0900.pngimage.png.659da8df4b9f8122d8f6de0174d984de.pngimage.png.3840fd09b943756ad3dbab0f8457a00f.png  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

You are NOT supposed to take pictures in the spa area... some do, but technically, it is not allowed.  These are just off of Google but you can also find Viking videos that showcase the spa.

Are you thinking of taking a Viking Cruise?  We have been on six now and we have three booked in the future.

image.png.b855715d72143550abf7b5d84c5f0900.pngimage.png.659da8df4b9f8122d8f6de0174d984de.pngimage.png.3840fd09b943756ad3dbab0f8457a00f.png  

Oh I meant usually the first day when you can take a tour I did not mean when anyone was using the facilities  🙂 Thank you for these pics! I really am thinking about it, I am a dad so my son is still young, but this looks like a great cruise like to have a "dad" getaway! Feel free to message me anytime. CruiseMsclDad@proton.me

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2023 at 12:35 AM, CDNPolar said:

Here is a video....

Even though he says that bathing suits are required in the sauna - nobody is policing that.

Thanks for posting that - what a great video. I’ve never been on Viking but that makes it very inviting (glad they don’t enforce the bathing suit rule, but I haven’t actually seen that “rule” enforced on other lines either 😂)

4 hours ago, AussieVoyager said:

Thanks for posting that - what a great video. I’ve never been on Viking but that makes it very inviting (glad they don’t enforce the bathing suit rule, but I haven’t actually seen that “rule” enforced on other lines either 😂)

The spa on Viking is not extensively used especially the sauna which is inside the change room beside the cold plunge pool.  There are also times that no one is there at all.  

Edited by CDNPolar

9 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

The spa on Viking is not extensively used especially the sauna which is inside the change room beside the cold plunge pool.  There are also times that no one is there at all.  

It’s great to get some peace and quiet in the sauna at times 

On 6/20/2023 at 10:25 PM, CruiseMsclDad said:

Nothing overt in the way of service, I will say that there are things that some straight men have made comments either loud enough for me to hear or while being intoxicated. Nothing that I have not heard before, but I have noticed an uptick on what was said to me directly, vs years ago that while they may think it, most would refrain from saying out loud,

As I mentioned even as a kid I was always treated respectfully by crew members on every cruise line that I have been on, but ya I have noticed changes.

They can probably be found late at night in the sauna. 

On 6/21/2023 at 9:35 AM, CDNPolar said:

Here is a video....

Even though he says that bathing suits are required in the sauna - nobody is policing that.

My hubby and I are thinking about doing a 15 day Viking UK cruise.  I don’t think I’d leave the thermal spa. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

My hubby and I are thinking about doing a 15 day Viking UK cruise.  I don’t think I’d leave the thermal spa. 

It is quite wonderful.  My favourite is the snow grotto and the steam room.  Back and forth between those. 

Treat yourself to a massage too.  I have had a massage on most ocean journeys and the Norwegian therapists are great.  

• Like 1

My husband and I cruise often each year. Normally 2-3 at a minimum. MOSTLY on NCL. We've never had any problems what so ever. We've cruised out of Miami, and Cali. I'd say be mindful when in ports as you should in any country your not 100% familiar with their customs, but have not had issues there either really.

• Like 3