Ketchikan Guided Hikes

Steve in Omaha

What guided hikes have you taken in Ketchikan? We power-walk 4 miles every morning and we have hiked several times, so we are "up for it".

We'd really like to see sights or points of interest rather than just a pleasant stroll thru the rainforest. Seeing any wildlife would be a plus! 

Thanks!

According to the FAQs on one of the excursion websites: "There are a limited amount of trails that guides are allowed to commercially guide on in the Ketchikan area. Deer Mountain and Dude Mountain are regulated by the Tongass National Forest; and commercially guided hikes on these trails are not allowed." So your options on guided hikes are limited. I'm doing a rainforest one with Tongass Teague so this isn't a recommendation for them as rainforest hikes aren't what you want and I haven't gone yet to say it's a good tour, but you can reach out and see if they can customize something for you from the allowed hike areas.

Here is a list of hiking trails in Ketch. 2023 Best 10 Trails and Hikes in Ketchikan | AllTrails

We have only been on one from a ship tour that was nice but not much of a hike but more like nice walk in the forest. Might look into Herring Cove area as the black bears show up after salmon in the streams towards end of season. Ward Lake /Ward Creek if on NCL at W/C. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My recommended trial is Deer Mountain Trailhead 👍. It’s a little walk from port or take a taxi. If the weather is good with no low clouds ☁️ then definitely do it!! Amazing views during the hike and once at the top you can see the ships 🚢 in port and town. It’s a ways up to the top so bring water bottle, camera, and enjoy Alaskas beautiful scenery.. Good luck 👍 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hiked on my own last year in Ketchikan. From all the cruise ports this was the easiest!!!

Public Bus to Ward Cove, the bus stop before the little bridge drops you off at a trail head. Up to ward lake, towards Salvage Trailhead, crossing over to Pipeline trail and heading down back to the bus stop. Busses run frequently and are cheap, the trails were well marked and in excellent shape.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 1:56 PM, RSF Cruiser said:

If you want self guided hikes there’s an outstanding multiagency trail guide for the Ketchikan area: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413489.pdf

I'm considering self guided hiking over kayaking myself. Thank you for the link. May I ask, what are your favorite hikes in the general Ketchikan area? I'll likely rent a car. 

Here are the trails I’ve done on my own without a guide: first mile or so of Deer Mountain - great views and a moderate hike. In looking at the map, it looks like there’s 700+feet elevation to the first overlook (per the legend, each contour line is 100 feet); I did not like Rainbird Trail as much - not much elevation gain and minimal views - Deer Mountain was more interesting; Married Man’s, Schoenbar, and Waterfront Promenade Trails are quick and fun. We once saw a bear fishing in the stream; I did not like the Joseph C Williams Sr Coastal Trail at all - the entire trail is flat and along the highway with vegetation blocking most of the view of the Tongass Narrows; Hollow Cedar Beach Access, Lunch Creek, and Lunch Falls are well worth the drive and a lovely walk through the rain forest; Ward Lake is a pleasant walk through trees and around the lake, and I love Totem Bight! I’m not sure of your hiking interest, so you may or may not agree with my preferences. My favorite is orobably a tie between Lunch Creek/Lunch Falls and Deer Mountain. Totem Bight isn’t really a hike, but rather a stroll among the historic Totems. Hope

my response helps! Happy Hiking!

8 hours ago, RSF Cruiser said:

Here are the trails I’ve done on my own without a guide: first mile or so of Deer Mountain - great views and a moderate hike. In looking at the map, it looks like there’s 700+feet elevation to the first overlook (per the legend, each contour line is 100 feet); I did not like Rainbird Trail as much - not much elevation gain and minimal views - Deer Mountain was more interesting; Married Man’s, Schoenbar, and Waterfront Promenade Trails are quick and fun. We once saw a bear fishing in the stream; I did not like the Joseph C Williams Sr Coastal Trail at all - the entire trail is flat and along the highway with vegetation blocking most of the view of the Tongass Narrows; Hollow Cedar Beach Access, Lunch Creek, and Lunch Falls are well worth the drive and a lovely walk through the rain forest; Ward Lake is a pleasant walk through trees and around the lake, and I love Totem Bight! I’m not sure of your hiking interest, so you may or may not agree with my preferences. My favorite is orobably a tie between Lunch Creek/Lunch Falls and Deer Mountain. Totem Bight isn’t really a hike, but rather a stroll among the historic Totems. Hope

my response helps! Happy Hiking!

Thanks for the fast reply, RSF. I had my eye on Lunch Creek/Falls and Deer Mountain, so it's good to see I am on the right track. We'd like to avoid hiking alongside highways and a ton of people, so these sound perfect.