Kettles in Cabins and Suite

Hi, could a well experienced Oceania traveller offer advice on the following.  We are staying in a B1 on Riviera on an UK round trip and a kettle cannot be provided due to safety issues.  The practical implications of this are multiple trips to Baristas to obtain boiling water, an essential ingredient for my frequent tea fix.  As all the other lines I’ve travelled on have kettles eg Viking - by request, this has put Oceania at a disadvantage for my future cruise shortlists - however as I have enjoyed much of the rest of what is on offer, I wondered whether the suites on Riviera may offer a kettle, or perhaps the balconies on Vista?   Many thanks for any advice.

Similar to clothing irons they are considered a safety hazard.  Why not just order a pot of hot water from room service (available 24 hrs) or if you have a cabin with butler request it be delivered?  The concierge lounge also has hot water available throughout the day.  You will need a suite or concierge level cabin to get it quickly or on demand.  The four cat upgrade sale is still going on…Enjoy your trip!

My wife has the same issue.  She even brings her own tea from her supply

of about 30 or 40 types.  The only line we were able to get a kettle in room

in recent times was the old Crystal.  However, after impressing upon our butler

and/or room service that she needs boiling, not just hot water for proper tea,

after a few days the delivery seems to be adequate.  She keeps a teapot and

just gets the carafe they deliver.

At afternoon tea she goes directly to the station where they boil the water and

waits for them to get it properly hot.

13 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi, could a well experienced Oceania traveller offer advice on the following.  We are staying in a B1 on Riviera on an UK round trip and a kettle cannot be provided due to safety issues.  The practical implications of this are multiple trips to Baristas to obtain boiling water, an essential ingredient for my frequent tea fix.  As all the other lines I’ve travelled on have kettles eg Viking - by request, this has put Oceania at a disadvantage for my future cruise shortlists - however as I have enjoyed much of the rest of what is on offer, I wondered whether the suites on Riviera may offer a kettle, or perhaps the balconies on Vista?   Many thanks for any advice.

Can’t help with the room service/kettle issue, as I only drink tea when on O (and I am a Brit, possibly a heretic Brit, but whatever..)

I will give you one good tip however - when going to afternoon tea, refuse the first offered tea pot and ask for fresh hot water, otherwise you won’t get a proper pot of tea as the water won’t be hot enough. 

I am sure that room service will be able to help you with hot water. Give explicit instructions and I am sure they will do their best to help. 

19 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Plain old "hot water" isn't what's needed for "proper" tea.  It has to be straight from the kettle.

My companion in life is a regular tea drinker but, when we're away from home staying somewhere without a kettle, sticks to coffee. As you say, it has to be straight from the kettle.

For the OP - could you not bring a travel kettle with you? I know they are not that great (which is why we don't use one any more) but may work for you. Or are they specifically banned by O?

hi Harters, noticed we live quite near by.

I’ve defaulted to early grey with skim milk as my coffee equivalent - but can’t wait to get off the ship and hit the Yorkshire tea.  Oceania are very clear that a kettle would be confiscated on safety grounds - and the future cruise consultant advises they are not available on their brand new ship either -  but don’t explain why Viking, Cunard, Princess and Saga are able to have them - you would think there would be the same insurance and safety concerns for all the ships? A

Yeah, not far away. I'm at the North Cheshire end of the A34.

I thought that might be the case about the travel kettle. Good luck  with your quest. Maybe you'll just have to settle for decent tea at the port calls,

11 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

hi Harters, noticed we live quite near by.

I’ve defaulted to early grey with skim milk as my coffee equivalent - but can’t wait to get off the ship and hit the Yorkshire tea.  Oceania are very clear that a kettle would be confiscated on safety grounds - and the future cruise consultant advises they are not available on their brand new ship either -  but don’t explain why Viking, Cunard, Princess and Saga are able to have them - you would think there would be the same insurance and safety concerns for all the ships? A

Other lines that supply them can be sure they are up their own standards and have properly working fuses and automated off switches. They are happy to take responsibility for their own equipment but still wouldn’t allow a passenger to bring their own. 

15 hours ago, Harters said:

My companion in life is a regular tea drinker but, when we're away from home staying somewhere without a kettle, sticks to coffee. As you say, it has to be straight from the kettle.

For the OP - could you not bring a travel kettle with you? I know they are not that great (which is why we don't use one any more) but may work for you. Or are they specifically banned by O?

Bringing a kettle on board will land you in hot water, and not in a tea cup.

• Like 1