Santorini - transportation on our own into Oia/Fira

mickeysgal

For our upcoming cruise, we are truly doing Oia and Fira on our own because the On Your Own excursion through the ship is sold out.  So when they tender us into port, can I buy a ticket to boat to Oia?  Can I buy this in advance? How do I get from Oia to Fira on my own?  Is there a ticket I can buy now to get me from Oia to Fira  or can I buy that on the spot?  I know I can wait with the thousands of others to take the cable car up to Fira, but I'd rather start at Oia for our day there. Can someone give me the basics step by step so I can put a plan in place?  

1.  So when they tender us into port, can I buy a ticket to boat to Oia? YES; Lookup OIA SPEEDBOAT on GOOGLE
  2.   Can I buy this in advance? YES or PURCHASE AT THE PORT [ YouTube has good videos on this]
  3. How do I get from Oia to Fira on my own?   The Speedboat tour includes a PRIVATE BUS back to FIRA
  4. Is there a ticket I can buy now to get me from Oia to Fira  or can I buy that on the spot? YES and YES;  If you purchase in advance, you choose the time and will not be shut out

3 minutes ago, redwings1958 said:
  1.  So when they tender us into port, can I buy a ticket to boat to Oia? YES; Lookup OIA SPEEDBOAT on GOOGLE
  2.   Can I buy this in advance? YES or PURCHASE AT THE PORT [ YouTube has good videos on this]
  3. How do I get from Oia to Fira on my own?   The Speedboat tour includes a PRIVATE BUS back to FIRA
  4. Is there a ticket I can buy now to get me from Oia to Fira  or can I buy that on the spot? YES and YES;  If you purchase in advance, you choose the time and will not be shut out

Thank you!

It's not really a 'speedboat', as you'll see in the attached video. If you have mobility issues, be aware that there is a hill to climb to reach the bus. And be aware that the boat doesn't leave until it's full.  It sat there for an hour when I visited Santorini. But having said that .... I'm sorry that I waited for the cablecar instead of taking the boat , as we missed Oia entirely!!

Transfer to Oia - Fast Line to Oia (transfer-to-oia.gr)

DO NOT buy in advance, any boat ticket to Oia.  The problem is that these are private water taxis (not really speed boats) and they do not operate on a reliable schedule.  When you get off the tender, will likely see one (or more) boat operators selling trips to Oia.  But, you want to make sure they are are near full (or are filling fast) since you might buy a ticket and than sit for an hour (or more) while they wait to fill up their boat.  

Plan B for getting to Oia is not very difficult.  Take the cable car up to Fira and you would than walk through a major part of town to get to the bus station (located near the main parking area).  You can than take the public bus to Oia or perhaps share a taxi.  The taxis used to charge 25 Euros (for the entire taxi) but I assume the fare has now increased.

Hank

8 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

It's not really a 'speedboat', as you'll see in the attached video. If you have mobility issues, be aware that there is a hill to climb to reach the bus. And be aware that the boat doesn't leave until it's full.  It sat there for an hour when I visited Santorini. But having said that .... I'm sorry that I waited for the cablecar instead of taking the boat , as we missed Oia entirely!!

Transfer to Oia - Fast Line to Oia (transfer-to-oia.gr)

Thank you for this.  I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

DO NOT buy in advance, any boat ticket to Oia.  The problem is that these are private water taxis (not really speed boats) and they do not operate on a reliable schedule.  When you get off the tender, will likely see one (or more) boat operators selling trips to Oia.  But, you want to make sure they are are near full (or are filling fast) since you might buy a ticket and than sit for an hour (or more) while they wait to fill up their boat.  

Plan B for getting to Oia is not very difficult.  Take the cable car up to Fira and you would than walk through a major part of town to get to the bus station (located near the main parking area).  You can than take the public bus to Oia or perhaps share a taxi.  The taxis used to charge 25 Euros (for the entire taxi) but I assume the fare has now increased.

Hank

Thank you for the detailed instructions.  I completely understand not to buy them in advance.  To make matters worse, since it's a tender port,  I can't even pinpoint a time we will be tendered ashore. And there are multiple ships in port that day, so this should be interesting getting even close to this ticket booth.  Thank you again.

17 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

Thank you for the detailed instructions.  I completely understand not to buy them in advance.  To make matters worse, since it's a tender port,  I can't even pinpoint a time we will be tendered ashore. And there are multiple ships in port that day, so this should be interesting getting even close to this ticket booth.  Thank you again.

We never had to deal with a "ticket booth" for the water taxis.  As you walk off the tender pier, there should be some of these boats docked along the same pier and there will usually be a man standing by the boat selling tickets.  You pay the man, he gives you your tickets (you also get a ticket for a return bus from Oia to Fira) and than you hop on the boat.  When they fill the boat they leave for the small pier below Oia.  Once at Oia, they provide the passengers with a mini-bus or van transfer up the hill to Oia (you can walk...but its all uphill).   They give you a return bus schedule (you generally get a few choices) so that when you are ready to leave Oia you just go to the bus meeting point (they will tell you where) and get on the bus back to Fira (these are generally private buses and not the same as the public bus)  Several years ago, one of the operators gave us a ticket to use the public bus (back to Fira) but I do not think that is the norm

Hank

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We never had to deal with a "ticket booth" for the water taxis.  As you walk off the tender pier, there should be some of these boats docked along the same pier and there will usually be a man standing by the boat selling tickets.  You pay the man, he gives you your tickets (you also get a ticket for a return bus from Oia to Fira) and than you hop on the boat.  When they fill the boat they leave for the small pier below Oia.  Once at Oia, they provide the passengers with a mini-bus or van transfer up the hill to Oia (you can walk...but its all uphill).   They give you a return bus schedule (you generally get a few choices) so that when you are ready to leave Oia you just go to the bus meeting point (they will tell you where) and get on the bus back to Fira (these are generally private buses and not the same as the public bus)  Several years ago, one of the operators gave us a ticket to use the public bus (back to Fira) but I do not think that is the norm

Hank

Thank you again for all this detail. It eases my mind.