Copenhagen to Copenhagen June 11-25 Sailing The Coast of Norway

SLSD

One thing we have learned during our short time in Norway is that hydroelectric power is huge here.  We've seen several hundred waterfalls pouring down the mountains into fast flowing rivers whose power is harnessed by hydroelectric plants.  I've been amazed at the rivers--both by their speed and the beautiful color of the water.  Watch the short video to get an idea of the powerful river flow.  

Was our lengthy tour of the interior worth it yesterday?  While it would not have been everyone's cup of tea, we loved it.  It gave us a better appreciation of Norway away from the coast.  It did include an enjoyable lunch at a hotel and there was so much to see.  

By after dinner (at Earth and Ocean) last night, I was wiped out after being up half the night watching the world go by.  We skipped the fun deck dance party and I got almost 10 hours of much needed sleep.  I heard it was fun.  Perhaps someone else will report. 

IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6269.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 4

Susan,

Glad you made it to gerainger.  Love your photos.   On our first 2 Norway cruises on crystal, we docked in gerainger and loved each visit.  Last year on SB, we stopped in loen/Olden and so enjoyed our visit…the sail in and out was magical.  If we go go back, would love to do the sky lift.

Nancy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Thanks for all your posts, looking forward to joining for 21 days in a little over 2 weeks.  (And being in cooler weather...) and glad to hear you think service has improved even from your pre-Covid cruise.

On this particular cruise, I definitely think service has improved over previous Seabourn cruises.  I don't know if everyone has had this experience.  Perhaps we have just been very fortunate--but so far, the service has been impeccable.  There has been one odd thing.  There is an assistant maitre d' who joined the ship a few days ago.  He doesn't display the usual understated service demeanor that most of the staff has mastered.  He is somewhat brusque and speaks in a more loud tone of voice.  He also interrupts meals and exhorted us to leave comments about the wait staff.  He did this three times  last night and did it in front of the wait staff--calling them by name, but leaving out the name of the only woman on the team serving our dinner.  We had not seen an assistant maitre d' before his arrival.  He has not added to our experience in a positive way.  

• Like 2

On 6/19/2023 at 11:44 AM, robertmartha said:

SLSD...thinking ahead for our sailing on Ovation in a few months...hoping Christian may still be on board!

Really makes a difference in the Restaurant (at least for us) when you have a fantastic and engaging waiter.  

I asked Cristian last night how long he will be on Ovation.  He will be on board for the next several months so you should be able to sit at one of his tables when you sail.  

29 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I asked Cristian last night how long he will be on Ovation.  He will be on board for the next several months so you should be able to sit at one of his tables when you sail.  

Do you know if Waldo or his brother Corne are onboard?  We are joining Ovation for two weeks at the end of July and Cristian sounds excellent by all reports.

Edited by texanaust

7 minutes ago, texanaust said:

Do you know if Waldo or his brother Corne are onboard?  We are joining Ovation for two weeks at the end of July and Cristian sounds excellent by all reports.

I will try to ask about Waldo and Corne.  I haven't seen anyone on the crew by those names.  

I’ll put my vote in for either Lee or Miguel as well we’ve been alternating between them receiving excellent service by both.  They can be hampered by their assignment to the two largest sections but if effort is a measure of excellence neither will disappoint.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jondfk said:

I’ll put my vote in for either Lee or Miguel as well we’ve been alternating between them receiving excellent service by both.  They can be hampered by their assignment to the two largest sections but if effort is a measure of excellence neither will disappoint.

It's good to know that you have had equally good experiences in The Restaurant.  

• Like 1

Thanks to @SLSD, we found Cristian and his fantastic team, of Esther and Boris. Boris is new to this and just here for the summer, while in college, and has evolved very quickly. Esther is also new, and a superstar on the rise. We've also been graced by assistant maitre d Bronson ("Bronson's my name, service is my game") who has been with Seabourn for 19 years. There are others we've come in contact with on the wait staff around the ship, all equally great. (Like Zachary.) I find training and staff morale on this ship to be exceedingly high.

The one surprise is the observation deck, where it seems to take an hour to clear the tea service. It almost seems as though they're short-staffed up there. 

If there's any surprise on this trip it's the mix of passengers. Something is off. I can't explain it. Not a lot of smiles. We've done enough of these trips to have a baseline. I mean, up in the observation deck last night for cocktails and there's a guy watching a game show on his phone... with the volume up on high. It was just weird. First world problems. Onward...

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, nancygp said:

Susan,

Glad you made it to gerainger.  Love your photos.   On our first 2 Norway cruises on crystal, we docked in gerainger and loved each visit.  Last year on SB, we stopped in loen/Olden and so enjoyed our visit…the sail in and out was magical.  If we go go back, would love to do the sky lift.

Nancy

The skylift is great

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, bizinsider said:

Thanks to @SLSD, we found Cristian and his fantastic team, of Esther and Boris. Boris is new to this and just here for the summer, while in college, and has evolved very quickly. Esther is also new, and a superstar on the rise. We've also been graced by assistant maitre d Bronson ("Bronson's my name, service is my game") who has been with Seabourn for 19 years. There are others we've come in contact with on the wait staff around the ship, all equally great. (Like Zachary.) I find training and staff morale on this ship to be exceedingly high.

I totally agree that Esther is a superstar on the rise.  Her dazzling smile and aim to give great service is just wonderful.  I also like Boris.  He wants to go to the Venture--and I am sure he will make it there.   He is always right there to bring whatever we need.  I hope he is having a fun summer.  Cristian is very proud of his team.  I know he wants to go to the Venture.  He is ambitious.  I think a lot of the crew want to go to Venture--as it is so. new and only has 270 guests. 

Bronson--what an appropriate name for the asst. maitre d'.  

We also enjoyDuncan who serves dinner at Earth and Ocean.  He is rather shy but very kind and on top of his job.  The manager of that restaurant is also very hardworking and cheerful.  He moves so quickly that I have failed to see his nametag.  I need to find out who he is and he deserves recognition as well.  

We've been served by Mietra from South Africa in the Restaurant at breakfast and in other venues.  She is on top of everything and is such fun.  

Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, galeforce9 said:

The skylift is great

We definitely plan to return to Norway on a cruise within a few years.  Next time, we will do the skylift.  You just can't do everything in one day!

Just as an aside on the issue of towels.  Our room has just been made up for the day and we were given two fluffy large towels and two small, thin, scratchy towels.  Evidently, the fluffy ones are rationed out as needed to the veranda suites.  

Edited by SLSD

3 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I totally agree that Esther is a superstar on the rise.  Her dazzling smile and aim to give great service is just wonderful.  I also like Boris. Cristian is very proud of his team.  He wants to go to the Venture--and I am sure he will make it there.   He is always right there to bring whatever we need.  I hope he is having a fun summer.  Bronson--what an appropriate name for the asst. maitre d'.  

We also enjoyed Duncan who serves dinner at Earth and Ocean.  He is rather shy but very kind and on top of his job.  

We've been served by Mietra from South Africa in the Restaurant at breakast and in other venues.  She is on top of everything and is such fun.  

Agree. Mietra = amazing. No matter what career they choose, some of these folks have huge futures ahead of them. Whoever does the recruiting/hiring has an eye for the "it" factor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bizinsider said:

Agree. Mietra = amazing. No matter what career they choose, some of these folks have huge futures ahead of them. Whoever does the recruiting/hiring has an eye for the "it" factor.

It’s always a good morning if you find you’re being served by Mietra!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, texanaust said:

Waldo and Corne 

Are they comedians or musicians.

6 hours ago, SLSD said:

On this particular cruise, I definitely think service has improved over previous Seabourn cruises. 

I’m so happy to read this as well from others currently on the Ovation.  While we had a great crossing on the ovation 2 months ago, we felt the service needed improvement but the crew tried so hard to please.

enjoy,

Nancy

TY SLSD! Hopefully Christian will still be on board in early November.

Was on a call last night with the other couples we are traveling with planning our days and making arrangements - pre planning is always so much fun !

Really enjoying your posts and photos' - a sailing like yours is definitely on our wish list

enjoy the rest of your cruise !

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

I also like Boris.  He wants to go to the Venture--and I am sure he will make it there.   He is always right there to bring whatever we need.  I hope he is having a fun summer.  Cristian is very proud of his team.  I know he wants to go to the Venture.  He is ambitious.  I think a lot of the crew want to go to Venture--as it is so. new and only has 270 guests. 

\

I misedited.  Boris is on the ship for the summer.  It is Cristian who wants to go to Venture.  

Yesterday, we were docked at the pier in the small town of Skolden, Norway.  As we were pulling up to the pier, some sheep in an adjacent hillside farm came pouring out of the barn, wanting to greet the passengers I am sure. 

We took a rather long Seabourn excursion.  We usually don't like to take long (7.5 hour) excursions, but this one had a couple high points that were of interest to us.  We traversed the mountains (coming and going) to reach the town of Lom.  Lom is home to one of the oldest Stave Churches in Norway.  the Lom Stave Church is from the 12th century and was worth the long trip to see it.  The main part of the church is made from logs.  Over the years, the walls have been tarred to preserve them.  This church is quite special.  I'm only going to share a few photos as perhaps some of you will get to see the church later this summer.  Note the dragon heads on the roof life.  

IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6458.JPG

IMG_6471 (1).JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

The other highlight of the long excursion to Lom (from the port of Skjolden) was the Mountain  Center  in Lom.  This museum houses Norway's largest exhibition of glacial archaeological discoveries.  As the glaciers are melting, more and more finds are being made.  Remarkably, the artifacts are in pristine condition as they have been frozen in ice since the 900s.  This exhibition was astonishing--and was also worth the long trek through the mountains.  

These artifacts come from the early Viking people.  There was an early pair of skis, arrows, a sword, cloth, a mitten, knives, a bow, shoes  and so many other things.  I photographed most everything with the exception of a  dog skeleton which was wearing a leather collar.  The thought is that the owners of these items were caught in a blizzard and perished on the mountain along with their dog.  

IMG_6510.JPG

IMG_6507.JPG

IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6505.JPG

IMG_6509 (1).JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, nancygp said:

I’m so happy to read this as well from others currently on the Ovation.  While we had a great crossing on the ovation 2 months ago, we felt the service needed improvement but the crew tried so hard to please.

enjoy,

Nancy

Somebody must've heard the comments because a number of us have commented on the quality of the service, and how generally good it is. And the guy who runs the Colonnade (sorry, name escapes me at the moment) ranks with the best in that position, in that venue, I've met on any cruise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bizinsider said:

Somebody must've heard the comments because a number of us have commented on the quality of the service, and how generally good it is. And the guy who runs the Colonnade (sorry, name escapes me at the moment) ranks with the best in that position, in that venue, I've met on any cruise.

His name is Rajeev and he is wonderful

• Like 2