Carnival cuts port anything I can do?

simonbunch

We are cruising on the June 21 Fascination, 4 day cruise. I just found out that they have cut Key West from our itinerary. So for the 4 days we are on board are only stopping at Cozumel. Carnival's response was that the port is being worked on in Key West and because of the short time that we would have been docked, that it wasn't worth it to tether the ship and transport people into port, so they have extended our time in Cozumel. At this point its too late to cancel, Anyone else have this happen and has Carnival done anything to compensate?

Thanks, Annette

although key west is nice 7:30 to 2 is really a short time.

now more time in Cozumel is great.

sorry to hear they are skipping kw especially if you wanted to see it.

<font SIZE="1">Click here for my Cruise Pics</font>

<font SIZE="1">***PROUD MEMBER O.A.T.C.***</font>

royalsmallwide.gif

saintsinners.gif

Miracle.gif

hounds3.gif

valorvampires.gif

<font SIZE="1">Opinions expressed by the poster are not necessarily the opinions of Cruise Critic or the Independent Traveler.

They might not even be the opinion of the poster, being he may be out of his mind at the time</font>

Atom.gif

That's a bummer. Generally Carnival gives a $20 per person credit for a missed port. However, because they are extending your time in Cozumel, they may not.

Probably other people on the boards have more info. on that. Cozumel does have great snorkeling and at least you'll have time to do a little more than usual.

2/2004 Carnival Legend/Exotic Western Carribean

4/2003 HAL Statendam/Sea of Cortez

9/2002 CarnivalHoliday/Western Caribbean

4/2001 Carnival/Western Caribbean

4/2000 Carnival Paradise/Southern Caribbean

5/1999 RCCL/Alaska

4/1998 NCL/Pacific Coastal

10/1997 Carnival/Mexican Riviera

11/1995 Carnival Holiday/4 day Baja Mexico

6/1992 RCCL Viking Serenade/4 day Baja Mexico

6/1981 Pacific Princess/Pacific Coastal

Port Cancellation Policy

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly upon making the itinerary change notify passengers of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer passengers an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a passenger does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the passenger at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to passengers when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

How did you find that out? We are cruising 4 day on Imagination on June 17th (same itinerary as Fasciantion)...wondering if the same might apply to us.

HM on Inspiration 3/9/03

Sovereign of the Seas 8/17/03 (Just Mom and I)

Imagination 6/17/04 (w/ the Inlaws!)

COZ is a great stop. You'll enjoy the extra time there. Me? I'd rather spend the whole four days at sea. If I want see Key West, or any other place, I'll just go there for a few days.

Carnival Carnivale -1988

Carnival Celebration - 2001

Carnival Celebration -June 2004

I'm on the Fascination the following week - June 28th. Do you know if the Key West stop is cancelled then as well? Is the first day now a day at sea? What time do you arrive/leave Cozumel now?

Thanks.

I found out about the missing port by checking my itinerary on Carnival's web site. When I called they said they are working on the port until November and since we would have only docked there for 5 hours it wasn't worth time. I hope your cruise still gets to go.

Annette

I am going on the June 7 sailing so I just called Carnival and they told me the same thing. We are going to get and extra 5 hours in Cozumel so I am not very disappointed. I have been to Key West twice and both times it did not impress me much. Maybe because I live in Florida.

My itineray for the 28th still shows Key West. I e-mailed Carnival to check this out.

5.0 man - what are the new docking and leaving times for the Cozumel port for your June 7th sailing? Is the first day a day at sea?

Thanks.

I logged onto the Carnival website and checked my reservation for Imagination June 17-21. The itinerary does reflect the change. So in our case the first full day is at sea and the second day we are in Cozumel from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm whereas before we were in Cozumel starting at noon.

I'm kind of bummed. Even though I've heard Key West isn't anything spectacular, I still wanted to sight see some...Oh well...

HM on Inspiration 3/9/03

Sovereign of the Seas 8/17/03 (Just Mom and I)

Imagination 6/17/04 (w/ the Inlaws!)

Well, you'll just have to take another cruise that makes Key West a stop the next time! You know you will...yes you will. It's nice to be in KW when the sun goes down and hanging out in Mallory Square for the sundown festivities.

Do it next time...after November, when it's cooler and more comfortable..you'll enjoy it 10x more. icon_wink.gif

Princess probably charges more per day per person than Carnival. Key West is pretty but I would rather have a sea day.

Miracle 12/04

Imagination 04/04

Legend 12/03

Imagination 03/03

Pride 07/02

Inspiration 08/01

Paradise 12/00

Holiday Summer 87

Big Red Boat(Royale)Summer 86

As I remember a few years back on the Sensation we stopped at New Orleans for the day. Then Carnival changed to Key West. I would love to go back to New Orleans, a great stop. Key West Ho Hum.

Happy cruising

Humm... interesting..we are sailing on Nov. 21st. I can't get any port info from the Carnival site for that time frame. Does anyone know how to find out what is going on in Key West? Seems a shame to only make one port for the week. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris Mitchell

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Carnival Fascination 11/04

just checked the key west cruise ship port schedule..looks like the info conflicts some of the Carnival info. here is the link

http://www.keywestcity.com/depts/port/cruiseships/cruiseships.asp

looks like some weeks June-Oct are supposed to anchor (with tender which Carnival says may be too difficult with the short port time) other weeks use pier B according to the calendar ??? In Nov. it changes back to the outer mole which is the usual navy pier that the Carnival ships use in Key West.

Chris Mitchell

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

I've emailed my PVP & Carnival directly but have not rec'd a reply.

We are sailing in Sept on the Imagination - final payment due next month, but airline tickets have already been purchased. We have newbies sailing with us & they were hoping for two ports.

Disappointed, but love the sea days & a long day in Coz will be nice. I do think a S&S credit for the missed port chgs should be given.

Ecstasy '91

Ecstasy '93

Triumph '01

Conquest '03

Imagination '04

Mariner of the Seas '05

We are cruising Fascination July 19th, and are supposed to make a stop in Key West. I wonder what will happen with us. My DH and I have been to Key West allready, but our kids were coming this time. We thought 2 stops would break up the cruise for them. I am sure they will like being on the ship. Key West did not inspire us all that much. We LOVE Cozumel, so whatever it is, we will have fun.

here's the link to the keysnews.com article about the renovations on the Outer mole pier. Looks like it will be messing up things til Sept. for Fascination (every other week) and Imagination. Hopefully things will be on schedule so we can go as planned in Nov.

http://keysnews.com/304942680939138.bsp.htm

Chris Mitchell

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

$20 is a very small amount considering the total amount of port charges paid per cruise. Even $25 would be better but I think $50 would be fair since it doesn't really cost Carnival the $50 as it is on your sign and sail card and almost everything bought on it is from Carnival and already has a big mark-up.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Archived