ONE DAY BIG BERMUDA PLANS ....are they TOO big?

sportscruiser

I'm headed to Bermuda in July on NCL Joy; first time on NCL and in Bermuda. I had all 3 days planned, but then my horseback ride wasn't available on day 2 like planned, so I had to switch that to day 3, departure day. That means a few of the things I'd originally planned to do over 2 days, now needs to be done in one. Arrival day I'm doing the Hidden Gems tour that takes all day so can't use that day for anything else.

For 2nd full day this is what I'm planning.... walk the South Shore beach trail starting as early as possible(taxi, public bus..what would be earliest/fastest way?) and making a few quick stops at those beaches to take pics and maybe a quick dip at one of them, then end at Horseshoe Bay. Then go from Horseshoe to Gibbs Hill lighthouse(would walking or public bus be faster?) and walk to the top. Then back to the Dockyard on public bus to take ferry to St. George(either NCL or public, depending on times). Once in St. George, to save on time, take a taxi to Alexandra Battery Park and then walk back to ferry to see Tobacco Bay Beach(not stopping) and the Unfinished Church. Take the ferry back to ship for dinner(again public or NCL depending on last ferry time) before heading out for a Bermuda Triangle Tour that meets at 7:30.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on the best way to save time to fit it all in or to tell me if it's even possible. Does anyone have the 2023 NCL ferry schedule that you receive once on the ship? 

2 hours ago, sportscruiser said:

For 2nd full day this is what I'm planning.... walk the South Shore beach trail starting as early as possible(taxi, public bus..what would be earliest/fastest way?) and making a few quick stops at those beaches to take pics and maybe a quick dip at one of them, then end at Horseshoe Bay. Then go from Horseshoe to Gibbs Hill lighthouse(would walking or public bus be faster?) and walk to the top. Then back to the Dockyard on public bus to take ferry to St. George(either NCL or public, depending on times). Once in St. George, to save on time, take a taxi to Alexandra Battery Park and then walk back to ferry to see Tobacco Bay Beach(not stopping) and the Unfinished Church. Take the ferry back to ship for dinner(again public or NCL depending on last ferry time) before heading out for a Bermuda Triangle Tour that meets at 7:30.

That is pretty ambitious for one day. You can take a taxi or bus to Warwick Long Bay early and walk the beaches and trail to Horseshoe. The road to Gibbs Hill is not walkable, no sidewalks or shoulder. So take a public bus or taxi. from Horseshoe to Gibbs.  I did it by bus. Then bus back to the Dockyard. You should be able to get a public ferry at 11:45 and probably the NCL ferry will be in the same time frame. I suggest you might skip Alexandra Battery and start at Fort St. Catherine or even start at Tobacco Bay. You are planning an awfull lot of walking and it is going to be hot and very humid in the afternoon in July I hope you are young and athletic.  Bring a lot of water. You might also skip the Bermuda Triangle Tour. From what I .hear it is not exceptional. Don't forget you will need lunch and dinner. 

How long is the horseback riding on day 3? When does the ship leave? You could probably walk the beaches after horseriding. You will already be there.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

@Charles4515 Thank you! Yes, very ambitious but doable? Wish I could've kept my original plans. Horseback rides have to be done early a.m. in the summer so was going to start w/that on day 2 and then go to St. George from there and do Horseshoe trail/lighthouse on departure day(ship leaves at 3). Mike Watson had no availability that day ☹️ so now it's Plan B....I should be back from horseback ride around 11am  but also wanted to check out some shops at Dockyard before leaving.

I'm not young or athletic 🤣but do walk alot so hoping that will help. I just wanted to look at the sea glass beach at Alexandra(I know there's one closer to Dockyard but wanted to see St. George too) and walk around St. George. I've heard the triangle excursion is cheesy but I like cheesy sometimes and used my shore excursion credit for it. If time, I'll eat when I get back to Dockyard while waiting for St. George ferry and when I return at the buffet.

Do you know how early the taxis start lining up at the Dockyard and about how much it would cost to go to Warwick Bay beach?

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 3:13 PM, sportscruiser said:

Do you know how early the taxis start lining up at the Dockyard and about how much it would cost to go to Warwick Bay beach?

It would cost about $34 for a taxi. Taxis in mass start lining up around 8:30. Most taxis there before 8;30 are prearranged. My friend always got an early tee time for the Port Royal golf course and had guest relations call a taxi company for a 7:30 tee time. 

Last time that I did the beach walk I was able to get one of the beach shuttle drivers to drop me off at Warwick Long Bay. I asked before i got on. The mnibus rate to Warwick is $9. After he dropped off people for Horseshoe he dropped me off at Warwick. I know others have done the same as that is how I knew to ask. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

@Charles4515 Yeah, I was hoping to take the bus and the ferry around that whole day but the schedules don't seem to line up with the times that I'll need to use them so it looks like I'll be taking more taxis and be more expensive than I had originally planned. Thanks for all the info.

• 3 weeks later...

Two things that I noted in your posts.

Horseback rides have to be done early AM in the summer.”

The reason is that it gets hot  and humid in Bermuda in July.

For the health and well being of the horses, rides are in the early morning. People need to be mindful of the weather for their health and welfare too.

”I am not young or athletic.” Keep that in mind as you plan your visit.Pace yourself.

The distance from the Dockyard  to St George’s is practically the length of Bermuda.

I would recommend that you focus your activities around St George’s -Turtle Bay, unfinished church etc or the Southampton parish area which includes Warwick/Horsehoe Bays, Gibbs Hill lighthouse etc. I would not attempt to do both areas in one day.

Trying to do as much as you have planned is quite ambitious and tiring TBH.

My husband and I have visited Bermuda 14 times since our honeymoon in 1983. 
We think of it as our second home.

I will leave you withsome thoughts- be sure to drink a lot of water-dehydration is no joke. And-

Taxis are quite expensive.

We were there this past June. A taxi from theDockyard  to the Turtle Hill golf course near Horseshoe Bay cost $50 with tip. It was about a 20 minute drive.

Public buses are a good way to move about the islands, but there might not be a frequent schedule. You might look into the bus schedules before you plan using them. They do not run on schedules such as those in NYC or Chicago. You may end up spending precious time waiting for buses .

MJ

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

A taxi from theDockyard  to the Turtle Hill golf course near Horseshoe Bay cost $50 with tip.

A taxi to Horseshoe Bay and nearby for 2 should cost about $32 plus tip unless you were there on a Sunday or a holiday.  Then there is a 25% surcharge. I have taken that taxi ride many times. 

Edited by Charles4515