Boarding Pass Says Negative Covid Test Required For Alaska

Alabamapenman

I thought Covid tests and proof of vax were history, but my boarding pass for departure this week on Regatta for Alaska cruise out of Seattle says "You must bring...proof of a negative Covid-19 test" with you to the terminal.  I have had four Covid vaccinations, but no test since last year. 

I haven't found a discussion of this topic lately and I am concerned it is a play by someone to collect $100 for a dockside test from passengers caught unaware.

2 minutes ago, Alabamapenman said:

I thought Covid tests and proof of vax were history…

There’s lots of authorities in the mix (beyond O, a country, a state or province and even a local municipality.

If you read O’s T&Cs and Ticket Contract, you’ll seen the disclaimer that you are responsible for meeting ALL authoritative requirements.

Just looked at my boarding pass for Regatta's Jun 23, 2023 Alaska cruise out of Seattle and it says:

Bring your boarding pass, passport, any required visas and proof of Covid-19 vaccination if applicable, plus, IF REQUIRED FOR YOUR SAILING/VACCINATION STATUS, A NEGATIVE COVID-19 TEST RESULT.  "If required" is the key part.  We have not been notified that it is required. 

Yes, Flatbush, thanks for your reply.  Alaska being a US state, I do not believe any state has any requirement before a US citizen travels from one state to another.  So any requirement would be made by O.

Well, I admit there is a stop in Victoria, Canada, but Canada has no entry requirements any longer regarding Covid. Canadian government website says no vaccination required, no test required.

Thank you, also, China.  My boarding pass also says that, but an inch below that is where it also states what I quoted in my initial post.  

Strangely, the part of the boarding pass you quote says "bring.....", while the part I quote from the same boarding pass says "you must bring....."   My wife doesn't like surprises!

4 hours ago, Alabamapenman said:

Thank you, Med1968.  That sounds authoritative.  

Book early if you need one.  Eligibility was recently expanded and the gov’t did not account for the increased demand resulting in a crashed website and no sympathy for those who were unable to secure the ETA as a result.

52 minutes ago, grifdoglover said:

I am US citizen did a RT Seattle Alaska cruise (one stop beautiful BC) we had to have the ETA.  Lots of people scrambled at the port.

ETA  or Arrivecan ?

According to the  requirements

Travellers who are exempt from the eTA requirement.

U.S. citizens are exempt from the eTA requirement and must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport.

Lawful permanent residents of the United States who hold valid status in the U.S. are exempt from the eTA requirement.

They must carry official proof of status (or an equivalent status document) and a valid passport from their country of nationality (or an equivalent travel document).

See the complete list of documents for lawful permanent residents of the U.S.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta/facts.html

I don't know when "grifdoglover" cruised to Alaska RT Seattle, but according to the Canadian government website ETA's are not needed to travel to Canada if you have a U.S. passport.

"I am an American citizen. What do I need to enter Canada?

American citizens, including American-Canadian citizens, must carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada. You do not need a Canadian passport, a Canadian visa or an eTA to enter Canada if you are traveling with a valid U.S. passport."

• Like 1

Prior to October 1, 2022 it was mandatory to use ArriveCAN to visit Canada, but that is no longer the case per the Canadian government website that "LHT28" posted.

"COVID-19 border measures end on October 1, 2022

Starting October 1, 2022, all COVID-19 border requirements, including vaccination, mandatory use of ArriveCAN, and any testing and quarantine/isolation requirements will end for all travellers entering Canada whether by land, air or sea."

1 hour ago, grifdoglover said:

We traveled last summer

ArriveCan was required last summer for all entries to Canada when we did our St Lawrence Seaway cruise.  It's not the same as an ETA, which is not required for US citizens.  Our US Passports served as identification.

ArriveCan was a COVID-era document that is no longer required.

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

You can still use Arrivecan if you need to clear customs

Not sure US citizens are required to clear Canadian Customs  or not

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

You are correct (as usual 😉).  ArriveCan is more than Covid era.  It does prepare the docs for customs and immigration, but it's like having your docs (or is that ducks?) all in a row for arrival.

• Like 1

I mentioned it because it was a required doc listed on a tiny line in our O docs that I missed but my husband caught.  Since Canada is a foreign country better to check and recheck what is necessary.  Safe travels everyone!

We are just back from Vancouver - Alaska - Seattle (5/30 - 6/09) cruise on Regatta. We were asked while boarding if we had vaccinated for COVID and a few general questions (fever, runny nose, etc) but were not asked about COVID testing results. 

• Thanks 1